1st Crash

Hogster

When I first started with this hobby, a little over two years ago, one of the club members told me if your going to get upset if you crash then take up golf. It was amusing but sound advice I thought. Well, I have had my first proper crash and I am upset or perhaps angry is a better word. Ive bent one or two on landing and take off. But they were always easy to repair.

I have been having a few engine troubles this weekend. I thought I`d sorted it and was flying loops and rolls quite happily. At about 100ft I went inverted and the engine cut immediately. And then I went to pieces. Mistake no.1 Didnt level the wings. Mistake no2 saw the nose drop and I put in down elevator. Plane stalled and as the nose dropped and it head down to terra firma I could not make up my mind what to do. I was completey disorientated. Result, my beloved Travel Air was in a few hundred pieces.

If only I had levelled the wings!!!!!!

Nothing wrong Hogster you probably havent been in that position before and it all happens so fast there isnt the time to calmly sought things out.Its an inevitability your skills have managed to put off for 2 years.Youve had your monies worth from the travel air now you have all the parts ready to fit into its shiny new repacement Wohoo

The golf analogy was also told to me when I started 30+ years ago, however th exact phrase was if it bothers you too much when you crash - then take up golf.
No-one expects you to not feel upset - we all do - and we all crash !! Its having a philosophical approach to it all that's required - as in the other phrase "its only a bit of wood" .

Bad luck, get back on the horse, and move onwards and upwards...its a great reason to buy that next model you've had your eye on

Edited By Tim Mackey on 29/01/2012 18:00:22

Oh dear - never mind! I'm afraid your mate is right - if crashing upsets you then stick to Airfix

You've done well to last two years - I usually expect one to two a year .

Its frustrating I know when it could have been avoided - but put it down to the "learning curve"! You wont make that mistake again, so you only have 2927 other potential mistakes to eliminate and you'll be perfect! So on a one mistake each two years you'll be a perfect flier in Feb in the year 7866 - something to look forward to!

Now me - I reckon I'm about 30 mistakes ahead of you already so I've only got 2897 mistakes to go, at two a year of course as opposed to you one every two years, so I'll be perfect in June 3460 - over 4406 years before you

(Now that's what I call "putting a positive spin on it"!)

BEB

Yes, it's annoying when you crash - and we all do it... It's even more annoying when you realise afterwards that there was something you could have done to save it.

But at the time you didn't have the luxury of 10 minutes to think things through and consider different alternatives - so don't beat yourself up about it! You did what you did, and what happened happened.

Treat this as a learning opportunity, and probably next time something similar happens your instinctive reaction will be the right one.

BEB would you like to sit my GCSE Maths exam for me please?haha

At least when I crash my first model (at the field) i'll keep in mind what you just said BEB. I really hope its not the BH chippy (i hope thats not tempting fate, please let it fly at warbirds day)!

Hogster: I know how it feels, I've never crashed a model at the flying field but I have in a farmers field near me. I was flying the PZ Spitfire, i was after that particular model for agessss! It went up and the ailerons broke after take off and down it came with the wings taking most of the impact as it collided with the ground.

Oh well an excuse as Frank said to buy a new model.....

It doesn't matter how long you have been flying. You will still make a mistake, try to be a bit to clever and demolish models.

I always say that you can tell the real aeromodeller. He builds another model and keeps going.

If it is any consolation, I wrecked five control line model before I ever flew a lap.

I knew a lot more about models before I got into radio but still wrote off quite a few....still do!!

It's old I know, but the first time IS always the hardest, the next time it may not seem easier but you will be better prepared to repair or replace, and as has been said already you have the skills to avoid this for 2 years don't beat on yourself too much, as Stephen say's it's a great time to get another model you have been wanting for "ooh so long" ( too many models so little time) hurry up and get building..

Tony....

Thanks for your replies. You have made me feel a lot better. BEB even had me chuckling .

The travel air was really great to fly and I always said I`d buy another one if I broke it. But I do have a few planes ready to maiden which I have been putting off. So now there is no excuse. I still get another one. I`m comfortable flying one in less than favourable conditions but I think its time to try something different also.

The Rx has no obvious damage. Should I send it away to be checked out or will a range check be sufficient test?

It was a nose down thump. Air frame was matchwood up to the back of the cockpit. The electrics were all still intact and running when I picked up the pieces. I have another model I could use it in but I dont want to lose if it would be more prudent to have it checked by futaba.

Hi Hogster, We all feel for you as we have all been there. I have been flying for 20+ years and I even get upset when another flier crashes. LoL. As Alan 4 said above welcome to the club. If you come back after a few crashes, you can call yourself a modeler. Learn from your mistakes if possible. Perhaps 100 ft was only 1 mistake high for aerobatics, perhaps 2 mistakes high may have given you more time to think. 2 years ! you did very well. Cheers/

My prized Joker in an inverted spin, suddenly I couldn't decide which way up it really was - I'd just been flying my Acrowot which had virtually the same scheme, but inverted - sunburst underside where the Joker had a sunburst topside.
I now try not to confuse myself with different schemes by using the same on all models.

My favourite Kamco Kadet with foam wings and ailerons. Went in from 300 ft 'cos I had rushed things and not secured the battery pack which became unplugged. Very impressive.
Geoff.

3 in one day - last year.
First, reversed ailerons killed a small tiger moth stone dead.
Second, F18 EDF went dead stick due to not hearing timer - at least it was repairable.
Third ( yes I know I know I should have gone home at that point ) a large Pilatus PC9 on its second flight.
Total write-off following complete electrical shutdown.

i remember a mate of mine that asked me to test fly a foam construction 1.4scale glens extra 300, with zenoah 45, i was late, he went for it, only trouble is, he has missed both ailerons going the same way, both went up, as the elavator went down!!! i got there in time to help sweep up lots of little white plastic beads,

Super Grone 2.3m leccy glider, inverted through an oak wood, only the fuselage emerging on the other side!..................

Oh - and the E-Flite Beaver nosing-in from 50 feet after losing half the horizontal stab.......

........and the P-38 spearing in - twice!

....and.......and.....we just get up and do it all again!

Pete