Have Futaba gone stark raving mad?

Seamus O'Leprosy

Posted by Simon Chambers on 15/02/2012 20:05:37:
Posted by ken anderson. on 15/02/2012 20:00:58:
i'm ready to lift the floorboards (for some dosh)...to buy the new S-FHSS version of the 8FG when its released in the spring time..... i have 16 models to convert from 35 mhz .....
ken anderson ne..1 S-FHSS Dept...

How much is the 8J going to be? Or has there been no announcement of UK prices yet?

Si.

RRP is £279.99 for the combo (R2008SB receiver).

For the majority of hobby fliers did we think we needed telemetry until some salesman said at a board meeting that he could boost sales by people buying there TX's all over again to sell telemetry????

RX battery voltage.....I used a battery checher before I take off

Fuel level..........check and fill up before you fly and don't stay up too long

Altitude....if you can't see it you are UP TOO HIGH

GPS........get a bicycle and go after it like the freeflight lads

As mentioned things seem to got out of fashion with the wind - so sticking with my FF7 for now, as I suspect theat 617 rx prices will drop now, which would be great news for me!

Up until recently it always gave me a chuckle that most 2nd hand 617 / 607's would be up for sale around the £45 mark - you could get a brand new one for £54 so who in their right mind would buy these 2nd hand ones !

I just got one myslef from the BMFA for £30 which then does make it worthwhile as I've found them to be simple, quick and totally relaiable !

I do also think that price is important and that in recent times the 6 channel Fasst receivers have been uncompetitive. I have paid £70 for one.

I also think that part of the attraction of Futaba was/is the widely available tier 2 type items which are compatible, providing flexibility. This aspect seems to be endangered as at least a perception, due to multiplicity of Futaba systems and the incompatibility of Rx's in particular.

The issue of reliability, was a Futaba strong point. Today the situation is not the same, all the major brands seem to be equally reliable be it JR, Multiplex, Hitec etc. The one system that has had some measure of reliability questions is the Spektrum. Yet their sales continue to grow as market share. I guess many modelers value the ability to mix and match tier 2 items and also most have come to recognise that most issues are modeler related, rather than the equipment.

as a futaba user for years i bought the 8fg when they first came out it has never let me down never glitched its perfect, easier to work with then the old 14mz. i have been using Fasst why on earth do they have to mess it up. i understand why spektrum evolved dsmx they had to produce a spread spectrum system. but with all the systems now available it makes a mockery i own about 15 fasst receivers which replaced the 35mhz receivers and now iam expected to go out and buy a complete new system i don't think so. a friend of mine has a high end digital slr camera he looked at replacing it only to find the latest version doesn't support his existing lenses now does he spend £1000+ for the camera body and £2000 replacing his lenses the answer is NO why would you. sorry Futaba i will choose something else when i change though will keep what i have until i decide it is unservicable instead of upgrading every few years.

Posted by Ultymate on 19/02/2012 10:43:46:
Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy on 19/02/2012 10:02:47:

By producing sets which are not Fasst compatable.

People were moaning that Fasst was too expensive now they've come up with a cheaper alternative you're glopping about that, sorry I just don't get it.

because we cant use our existing expensive fasst equipment with the cheaper new alternative maybe, unless we spend over 2K on an 18MZ, which is hardly a cheaper alternative

Whilst Futaba are very good at making quality products, I think their development and marketing strategy leaves a lot to be desired.

Put yourself in the shoes of the average modeller who is loyal to Futaba products, Ultymate. He waited a long time for Futaba to bring out a 2.4Ghz system and when they did it was reasonable for him to assume that FASST was going to be the definitive system.

It was then that he dipped his hand in his pocket and parted with his hard-earned cash, confident that he was buying into a system that would eventually offer a range of receivers that suited most pockets - as almost inevitably happens with any new system.

Instead, he now finds that Futaba seem to have decided that FASST should be their 'premium' range and they've introduced an incompatible 'economy' range.

There aren't that many modellers about in these straitened times who can chop and change their Tx's at a stroke and I am sympathetic to those seem to have been rather 'led up the garden path' by Futaba.

Spektrum, on the other hand, have been rather more shrewd with their back-and-forward-compatible DSMX upgrade. I think they recognised that to have abandoned DSM2 would have alienated many of their users.

Just my tuppence worth........

Pete

I bought Futaba from the start, 35mhz then 2.4 Fasst. Now they bring out a new system that is not compatable. Why not invest all that money spent in developing it into making Fasst cheaper?

I'm changing to Hitec, i dont believe that they will stick with Fasst, i think support will slowly wither away. Thereby forcing Fasst users to buy really expensive sets.

I think its a really poor decision from Futaba, I'm off.