Useful Objects n stuff in the modelroom...

Cyclicscooby

Posted by Cyclicscooby on 24/02/2012 17:22:44:
Posted by Seamus O'Leprosy on 24/02/2012 17:02:55:

Vaseline.

Is that meant for this post... ??

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Yep.

Smear it on the hinge line when fixing them in with epoxy. Epoxy dont stick to (Vaseline TM) (Petrolium Jelly).

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 24/02/2012 18:32:29

Don't throw away your VHS video cassettes just yet. I copied or threw out most of mine but not all because they're useful as model supports during building. VHS's are square sided, can be stacked and are just the right size to put either side of a fuselage or whatever. An alternative to batteries, lego blocks or lumps of wood.

Masking tape - I buy cheap packs of 10 or a dozen rolls in a local cash and carry. Great for holding things in place until... whatever...

I am surprised that no-one has so far mentioned the scalpel - or at least, the scalpel handle and blades. Sharp is good. Scalpel is sharp.

You can buy cheapish rolls of abrasive paper from screwfix and the like. Cut off a length, glue it on a piece of MDF, and you have a huge flat sanding block for shaping or straightening leading or trailing edges.

Then there are all sorts of bits of straight metal. Great for cutting in a straight line.

A bit ago I bought a set of watchmakers broaches. These are thin reamers for opening out holes by a small amount. They are great for opening out holes in control horns or servo arms to get minimum slop. They cost a few quid.

Plummet

Plastic milk containers (or old fuel containers) filled or part filled with water make a good alternative if you haven't a supply of heavy batteries, and can be adjusted to give the right weight. Yoghurt pots for mixing epoxy. A two inch layer of upholstery foam topped off with a pile of magazines helps spread the pressure when skinning wings. Most useful gadget at this time of year is the fan heater, though for several reasons I haven't been able to get to the garage for two weeks. I need my fix of balsa dust and cyano.angry

Zip-lock bags full of sand to hold curved sheets down while glueing. (don't use cheap bags unless you want sand everywhere)

Vacuum clothes storage bags for holding wing sheeting on while glueing, even better with a vacuum cleaner with a speed control, turn it down and leave it running

Edited By Steve W-O on 25/02/2012 04:49:46

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 24/02/2012 21:19:52:

David

That's a Casio stand isn't it ? What a good idea -Just found a use for mine that I havn't used since 'er indoors bought me a decent piano . Do you play?

Myron YO13 music dept

Yes Casio, I think so Myron.

No, I'm a great piano music lover but regret I don't play.

Back in the 70's the guy who taught me to fly used to make his modelling knives out of hacksaw blades.....he cut & ground them as you say & then cut a length of silicone exhaust tubing in half & placed one half either side of the blade (this was to allow the blade to flex slightly in the handle) & then placed this arrangement into the centre of a an old fashioned cut down clothes peg.....clamping the peg tightly to hold the blade in place insulating tape was wrapped around the peg to keep it tightly closed & form the knife handle.....

Being tool steel the blade held its edge very nicely & could be re-sharpened on an oil stone....

I would use these now but I don't have access to a grinding wheel!!!

Cutting mats - the type used by quilters etc, and the associated cutting wheels and rulers - great for cutting solar film and trim off the roll, and getting a good cut without damaging the bench.

I just have to be careful not to use the one she is about to use for fabric.....and to use the correct cutting wheel.

• 1 month later...
Posted by thomas oliver 1 on 04/04/2012 17:35:52:

I have a length of cycle inner tube and one of motorcycle inner tube. I cut bands from these with scissors and find them amazingly useful for holding together all sorts of things. They do not stretch forever but increase in tension as expanded.

See the black bands holding the fuel bottle in on my flight box? Cycle inner tube.

Kev

I thought of this thread the other day, and thought of....

Plastic milk bottles.....

The tops are spot on for mixing a small quantity of epoxy, and....

You know those posh epoxy mixing mats that are made of a waxy plastic so that you can get all the epoxy residue off of them? Well it just so happens that a square cut from a plastic milk bottle seems to work in the same way. The epoxy hardly adheres at all, so a quick flex when its dry and you have a fresh place to mix the next batch!

And finally Tesco's Helter Skelter Lollies have the most fantastic piece of dowel in the middle instead of a stick. Ok its only about five inches long, but I will find a use for them! Fortunately the kids like them and they are cheap!

Posted by Steve W-O on 04/04/2012 18:37:24:

I was thinking of this thread the other day, seems it became an article in the latest magazine, and the blocks in the very first picture had a long paragraph about them

Cool.. smiley

Do I get commission... ??

Haven't got the latest mag yet.. Can't wait to read it now.. !!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Posted by Cyclicscooby on 05/04/2012 11:06:16:
Posted by Steve W-O on 04/04/2012 18:37:24:

I was thinking of this thread the other day, seems it became an article in the latest magazine, and the blocks in the very first picture had a long paragraph about them

Cool.. smiley

Do I get commission... ??

Haven't got the latest mag yet.. Can't wait to read it now.. !!

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

I don't think so, it made no reference to this thread, although it was certanly mentioned here first ! smiley