Useful Objects n stuff in the modelroom...

Cyclicscooby

I've got quite a nice selection of tools. Both general (screwdrivers, cutters, etc) and model specific stuff, like a hinge marking kit, pitch gauge, etc , but there are a few things that I couldn't do without, only you wouldn't find them in a tool shop...

So, here are four of my most useful 'Objects'...

Jenga Blocks...As they're all identical (3 sizes of identical)

Useful 01 Jenga blocks 1

Useful 02 Jenga blocks 2

I've been given 3 over time..??!! one small, and 2 larger. They are really useful for levelling, chocking up, packing out, and more...

Secondly, Lead-acid batteries, or Yuasa's as I generically call them..

Useful 03 Yuasa pile 1

Always had some kickin about as Dad was an alarm engineer, but we now have a pile for the boats too...

Useful as..... Weights... Can be placed ON something, to hold whilst gluing, or next to, to hold in place, like a vice...

Combined with the Jenga blocks, just about any angle or height is do-able

Thirdly, not used a much as the above, but useful none the less, One inch nylon strapping from Halfords..

Useful 04 Nylon Strapping 1

Can be used to temporarily bind / hold sheeting in place..

i.e, to curve the 1/32 sheeting for the LE on my STOL build, I wet the balsa, then left it wrapped tightly in the strapping, round some epoxy bottles overnite

Also, if cut with a metal ruler and a soldering iron, to stop it fraying, it's used to hold all my models up..

Useful 05 Nylon Strapping 2

And finally, I know it's technically a tool, but out of place, a painters Pallette Knife.. I think that's what it's called.. ??

Useful 06 Pallette knife

Its quite small, like a flexable trowel... !! I use it to clean up wet gluing joints.. Not so useful on Foam, as it can damage the surface, but on a wood build with PVA its out all the time..

Also micro-balloon filler, which is what I used it for this afternoon...

So, there's my four....

Whats your most useful non-tool.... ??

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

Edited By Cyclicscooby on 23/02/2012 20:02:09

Hi Chrissie as you say often a particular job needs a non tool .Probably my most useful one is a push rod bent to have a hook on the end for pulling extension cables through,often things like cable ties .masking tape and rubber bands to hold things together when they dry,or wheel weights for holding things flat,the stick on type that also get used for balencing the C of G..When Im running up an engine on the back lawn I use 2 large car batteries as a restraint.I find this part of the hobby interesting when you are trying to improvise.Often go to bed with a problem thenBING a light comes on in your head at 3 am and a simple solution has arrived Luv to you too Stephen xx

Not sure if this is a good thread to ask but ... Anyone know where I can purchase a tool (wall rack or box) kit that has all the essentials, wire cutters, screwdrivers, alan keys etc.... Never been able to find any, hmm

Cheers

Tom

Edited By Tom T on 23/02/2012 23:17:50

Hi ,

plates, cups ,Cd`s a whole manor of things come to mind when i need to get the right curve on my drawings .

Batteries, books, catalogues , as weights

the list is endless of this i find useful ,

Drawing pins placed in card to get a equal line of a set distance around an object .

I think this is going to be an interesting one to watch Cyclicscooby wink

Lego - for instant, truly square, building jigs

Parcel tape - a multitude of uses, stripping stubborn film covering, mixing pallete for epoxy, taping down sheeting etc etc etc

35mm film canisters - mixing receptacles

plastic medicine spoons - cut in half for an air inlet duct

emery manicure boards - excellent sanding sticks

Olfa circle cutting compass and bevel cutter - ace for making mitred cuts and holes in sheet depron

Lolly sticks - bought in bulk and used in their hundreds

plastic straws - aerial tubes

Coffee stirrers from McDonalds - send the kids in with instructions to "acquire" a few - dozen!

@Tom - generally speaking Tom I find most of the "kits" of tools you see in shops are very low quality and low quality tools are perhaps even worse that no tools! What I would do in your situation is get your tools one by one and buy best the best you can afford. Good tools are an investment and looked after will last longer than you will! I know it will take a lot longer that way but in the long run its worth it. Remember there are always birthdays and Christmas and while Auntie Beryl might think that a top-class set of wire-strippers is an unusual present I'm sure you can convince her that it really is what you would like!

BEB

Coffee stirrers...excellent for mixing epoxy & then poking it whilst it dries.....my fave tool though is the Great Planes Dead Centre Hole Locator its one of those tools that you find yoursel using again & again....no workshop should be without one.....

Haemostats or locking forceps are very useful too.....curved blades for me....

@Tom T...loads of tools available quite cheaply from CPC......quality is OK..in fact very good for the money....Hobby King have loads of stuff too

Tom, as BEB said... The 'All in one' toolboxes are usually not great quality..

Maplin, Hobbycraft, Machine mart, all do decent tools. The two former places do sell tat aswell, so have a good look..

Start with a good screwdriver set.. Good screwdrivers are the heart of any good toolbox..

Things like wire-strippers are nice to have, but practice with a good quality pair of cutters, to get the same effect.. By all means get specific strippers, but only once you've got the cutters...

I paid £35 for a Snap-on Stubby rachet srewdriver 20+ yrs ago. Might sound like alot for a single driver, but its still in perfic working order, as are the £30 cutters..

(Also worth noting, that some manufacturers offer life long, no quibble replacements if they break. I managed to break a side off my Snap-on cutters once, and they just swapped them for new ones, no receipt required)

Im afraid there's no quick 'cheap' solution, just collect collect collect....

This is Pauls toolbox, but it cost over £8000 to buy and fill over 10years..!!

Workshop 05 Toolbox

Luv

Chrisie.. xx

I must agree with the idea of buying selected good tools instead of cheap sets. I still have Gedore and Stahlwille spanners I bought in 1973, they will outlast me by a long time.

You need to be specific in your uses, ie I nearly have three sets of motor tools, cars, bikes and HGV, and have ended up with all kinds of strange (these days) tools, like a Mini flywheel puller I found a couple of weeks ago I'd forgotten I had.

Many tools are common across hobbies and applications, so it is always worth asking if you really need something and how much can you use it, and making sure you get the best out of your money. Later as you add to the collection, it will all fit together into a good set.