Petrol Tank & Fuel Tubing Specifications

Allan Bowker

The best fuel tubing brand for petrol is branded as "Tygon" the stuff used on glow will soften and swell if used with petrol some tanks are interchangeable but usually the bung in the neck has to be petrol compatable, personally I find the medical bottle types are more servicable. Sometimes the internal clunks even when using Tygon will harden particularly when your tank is regularly drained,  I personally tend to leave fuel in my tanks for this reason.

Edited By Ultymate on 22/03/2012 13:05:31

I'm too new to Petrol models, but do know about using tygon tubing trouble is there seems to be quite a few size and is in imperial measurements, I need to get some 6mm (outside diameter) but guess the lhs will have equivilant.

Also on the felt clunk side, you have to leave fuel in the tank, else it will dry out I'm told so I have a solid heavy metal clunk type to reduce petrol fumes when not is use ans of course the risk of fire and spillages when model is stored standing up on it's nose cone !

Hi DH . I dont use the the felt type clunk any more as you say they often go hard and solid if they dry out . I have started to use the sintered metal type . Works the same as felt and will suck up the last few drops .They are also smaller and will fit in a normal tank provided the proper bung has been used . Be careful what type of "TYGON " fuel tubing you buy. There are some brands out there that are sold as tygon but go hard very quickly when used inside the tank for the clunk . Proper tygon has its name stamped on its length . Eventhe proper stuff goes hard after a couple of years so be prepared to service the tank and replace the tubing. I have also started using 500ml plastic glow fuel bottles for tanks .They are perfect for the smaller petrol engines up to say 30cc and give plenty of duration. The fittings can be bought from Falcon aviation .

It's important to use a petrol bung. My Global RC Sbach came with a plumbed fuel tank, yet after just a few months I discovered that the fuel was leaking from a very loose bung. I removed the tank and re-tightened the bung, a couple of months later it was loose again, this time it wouldn't tighten. On removal I found that the bung had actually shrunk slighlty and had gone rock hard. Obviously it was a glow bung and the petrol had ruined it.

As far as clunks go I've found that the sintered metal or ceramic ones are best, the felt ones can start to disintegrate and the fibres end up in the carb, not good news

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A guy at my club says it is worth using small cable ties or wire to fix the tubing to any connections. I'm sure i have also seen small tubing clips in the shops before for the purpose. Having seen the tubing yesterday, it is not as pliable as silicon (to my eyes) and does not seem to mould itself so well around the barbs. I was told this can lead to air leaks.

Hello all,

I'm an old stager returning to the "fold" as it were after about 40+ years absence, and I havre to say that a lot has changed ( not that I've been totally un-aware) during that time has there been produced a really good engine "De-gunger" that anyone may care to recommend?

• 3 years later...

and check out postage costs from the one listed US site! £4.38 a yard plus £9.47 postage. I guess if you were to buy 10 or 20 yards it comes to just over a fiver a yard, anyone care to bulk buy? I could justify buying 3 or 4 yards for stock but it's working out around £7 a yard that way. 4 yards could last me yearssurprise

The other thing to remember is that you need to maintain tank access in your model. Even Tygon recommends changing the fuel tube every six months. Despite the brand used, they all go hard at some point, cheaper ones quicker than others. I would also recommend a felt people clunk to stop fuel foaming allowing air into the fuel feed to the carb.

• 7 months later...

Agree with, John. Rich, I have used barbs on all my petrol fuel installations (except when using Roto Flow tanks). They are not difficult to solder to the metal tube and give a secure connection when the original metal tube is on the small side. I also clip the fuel line as well. As John says Tygon tube is very durable.

Hi Guys, I read somewhere that the LMA/BMFA are now looking to petrol/large models, having a 15 minute duration tank. A boffin somewhere could average the size of tank, relevant to model weight and motor cc size. The LMA are well experienced in these matters, and I think the logic is to reduce flying time in the event of an "in air " malfunction or a fly away