Nieuport 28

More progress this evening.

I found it convenient to lay the model on its side, and approach the interplane struts one side at a time.

img_0792.jpg

Brass P-clips are bolted to the wing panels and then the struts are made up from piano wire and soldered in situ.

img_0793.jpg

At this point the red jig can be discarded....

img_0794.jpg

I shall add the wooden fairings later. Here's the underside of the upper wing with the struts detached form the lower wing and swung outwards to save space.

img_0795.jpg

Advert

Nice work Tim, interesting Jig there, I may have to conjure something like that for my Domino interplane struts. I love biplanes... and engines! Good work, she is a beauty! Can't wait to see her fly!

John- Scale Concordes with 4 turbines has been done before. I will build a Concorde with EDF in the future, but only a gas turbine one if I win the lottery! Weird how I prefer engines in propellor driven planes but EDF in jets, then again I've never flown any jets, just looking at the price! Hope turbines get cheaper in the future!

CS

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while what with one thing and another......

The rear fuselage is ringed with no less than 20 stringers. Each one has to be individually fettled and aligned to be as straight as possible. Several hours of work here!

img_0798.jpg

That done it seemed a good idea to add the bass wood fairings to the struts, and then pin the whole caboodle together to get some pics.

img_0800.jpg

img_0803.jpg

img_0805.jpg

img_0816.jpg

Weight so far is around the 10lb mark. That doesn't include the 5 servos, 2x5S packs, covering or linkages.

tim

I guess that also doesn't include any lead that might become necessary to get the CoG right either! Still, you have got your batteries well forward so with a bit of luck you might not need too much. Ten pound sounds pretty good for a model that size too.

Those pictures are quite interesting, it could be almost any size to a casual glance. You need to look at the fine print on the propellor to see how big it really is.

John

You're right about the lead, John! I'm sort of hoping that we won't be needing any ballast up front, but that's probably a bit of a pipe dream, isn't it?

I see what you mean about the scale of the model not being apparent in the pics. I obviously need a volunteer to pose with it!

tim

@ Tim - A few postings further up you were explaining the power train - and then there was a picture where the batteries were inside the cowl. Was this just to put them somewhere or is it planned to have them inside the cowl? means you have to charge them in the model or to take the prop off for changing them?

@Concord Speedbird. You will see a Cygnet from Tims plan later that year with IC power - I already purchased the engine in a weak moment during my holiday... (was 100 Euro cheaper than on the island - so I couldnt resist importing it....). I just have to move the firewall back to get the right prop position - I think about some reinforcing of the fuselage even it will not vibrate a lot.

What I need to create is a cowl. As I made some model boat hulls for my father in the past, as well as a glider fuselage (I went into serious mass production - made 5 pieces of it face 7.....) I think it will be a fibre reinforced epoxy one.

VA

hi Tim I know you dont use them but this is where A123 come good. Timbo built a ring of cells and put them inside the cowl. you can charge in situ.

We have a member that chargers his lipos in the model. not saying I agree with him but thats what he does.

N28 looks fab, cant wait to see it in the flesh.

Cheers

Danny

Tim, How about making a hatch in the bottom of the fuselage just behind the cowl, so that you can get at the batteries through the firewall. You don't need a firewall in the same way that an IC model would, eg to keep the mess confined up front, so as long as you keep the structure sound enough to support the motor and batteries (and any of that lead stuff) you could get at the batteries by reaching up inside. Actually, looking at the pictures it might be a bit late to do that on this one, but maybe it is a thought to bear in mind for future models. The Morane actually does have a hatch underneath, it extends back about a foot so I could easily have done something like this if needed.

regards

John

Hi Tim.

Check the originals panel lines. I'm sure they didn't make one piece cowls for full size aircraft in 1918 !

I would also suggest access from underneath as that would be a "dirtier" area from a weathering point of view, so the hatch wouldn't be as obvious.

So many good ideas - thanks lads!

Rene, I'm planning on adding some cooling holes/slots after I work out where the UBECs, ESC and back-up battery are going live.

Danny, I hear you on the A123's. It's perhaps an option for the future. I know that Gordon Tarling has recently maidened his 1/3 scale Pup, and that uses A123 cells which are left in place during charging.

John, I did consider putting a hatch below and behind the cowl, but that's the mounting area for the undercarriage bearers.

Kevin, I have Thomas Hamady's opus on the 28. I can't see any panel lines in any of the photos in the book.

Never mind. We're t the stage of Endless Fannying About now; I cut the ailerons free this eveing and made up the servo hatches. It's all details form now on....

tim

Tim, That is where my undercarriage mounts too, when the hatch is off there are a couple of stout pieces of wood across the opening. It still leaves plenty of room for access. The bits of wood the undercarriage mounts to are attached to the main plywood box structure of the front end. Most of the front end is skinned in thin ply, but the hatch is sheet balsa, which I have covered with Koverall. I did have to modify the way the hatch attaches from the design shown in the plans. It is supposed to have a single screw at the front and a couple of dowels at the back, but that means the front needs to drop down and slide forwards a little to get it off, which would be fine if there was no undercarriage or cowl to get in the way. Mine now works the opposite way to the plan, it screws on with two screws at the back and drops down there then comes back to wangle its way out of the undercarriage. With my installation this lets me get at the receiver, servos and radio battery which all live close up against the firewall.It also lets me get at the cockpit from underneath, although three servo snakes get in the way a bit there. (There are two for the elevators, each half gets its own servo.)

regards

John

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info John!

Right then, despite the BMFA Nats, working overtime and all manner of domestic and social infringements, I'm glad to report that the Nieuport is almost ready to be swathed in acres of Solartex. About time too!

Amongst the myriad little jobs that have been tackled, I've plumped for a set of these rigging anchors from DB Sport and Scale;

**LINK**

Anyone have any experience of them?

tim

Posted by jeff2wings on 08/09/2012 22:25:53:

Csb get on with that Galaxy Domino laugh,nice pics btw

Thanks, I've been at Duxford all day! Domino work will continue tomorrow now my highly enjoyable day of full size aviation is done. I love aeroplanes, and I love seeing full size in action, the sound, feeling and atmosphere is just fabulous!

Back to models now though, dare I say sigh?!blush I do love the models though, because I can fly them!

CS

Looks good Chris!

Well the flying surfaces are all swathed in silver Solartex.

I've left the fuselage until last, as I was thinking about ways to tackle the rear fuselage.

Ideally I wanted to do it all in a single pice of 'tex, so I thought I'd have a bash.....

img_0833.jpg

Actually, it wasn't too difficult even though the stringers are all slighlty bowed outwards! I bit of applied heat and aggression get us here.

img_0836.jpg