Forum sick again?

Steve W-O

Advert

BEB, can you delete one of the above please, I waited so long for something to happen I thought the page wasnt doing anything so I hit the button again then it did it twice.

I have had enough, I think I will go and play on Ebay...........

I think the problem just may be the amount of advertising with its flash images that is slowing things up to the point of paralasis, if the forum is going to be cluttered with adverts etc crammed into every little space something has to give.........

Edited By Terence Lynock on 10/05/2012 13:35:53

Posted by Terence Lynock on 10/05/2012 13:31:30:

I think the problem just may be the amount of advertising with its flash images that is slowing things up to the point of paralasis, if the forum is going to be cluttered with adverts etc crammed into every little space something has to give.........

If you are still there, Terence, and you're on Firefox, there's a dead easy way to stop the animated gifs, for that is what they are......

I'll post it if anyone's interested.

Pete

I doubt very much that the animated ads are the problem - we've had them for ages. Latest update from Graham A - Mark is looking at some software on another part of the site which he thinks may be interfering with us. Hardware is also being investigated. I can tell you that everyone is beavering away very hard behind the scenes to try to fix it. Hopefully - normal service will be resumed as soon as possible!

BEB

OK, Chris but I'll start a new thread on the 'How-to' section so non-Firefox users can see as well. I can't put in a link because it has to be approved first.....wink 2

For Firefox users in the meantime, for that is what I am, here is how:

1. Open a new tab in the browser.

2. In the address bar, type: about:config and enter.

3. You'll get the 'Here be dragons......' warning.

4. Promise to be careful.

5. In the search box at the top, type animation

6. One line, headed image.animation_mode will appear

7. Double-click on this line and type the word none in the text box, then 'OK'.

8. Close the tab and refresh the forum page - they should have magically stopped flashing!

Usual warnings - if you screw up your computer, it's nowt to do with me! teeth 2

Pete

Just had a quick count up of the advert banners on the side of the forum page. The total content size is about 1MB. No wonder the server is sick if it has to deliver that lot every time someone visits the forum (depending on your local browser cache settings of course!).

The small animated GIFS are 30-50kB (11 off) each, the FMS banner is 140kB then text and content and other graphics on top of that.. I appreciate that the site has to be paid for, but I suspect that the amount and method of advertising is not helping.

I have often wondered why it takes 3-4 minutes to open the home page on a BlackBerry..

Regards

Martyn

Edited By Martyn K on 10/05/2012 17:40:18

Chaps, do please bear with us on this one. Dave is absolutely right when he says that the technical boys are doing everything they can. They really are. I've been on to them two or three times today and I'm about to find out the latest. They're currently working through a list of possible problems which should (please!) start to get things moving very soon. Truly, thank you for your patience and do please rest assured that we won't be resting until the forum's back on an even keel. Hang on in there if you will.

I have always wondered if there is a forum page that shows who is logged or at least the number of concurrent users logged on or similar. Many forums (forii?) have this feature.

At least this would give an indication if slow performance is related to the number of active users which is what it sounds like.. There will almost certainly be a concurrency where the performance starts to take a dive.

However, I am sure the techies are already looking into this.

Martyn

Hi Graham

Thanks, just what I was looking for. I don't think I have ever scrolled down that far before..

Resoving problems like this is what I do to help me me buy bits for my hobby.

I think many people forget that this is a free service, it is not always possible to delier a 100% reliable and responsive service with finite resources. I am sure it will get sorted soon.

Good Luck

Martyn