Summer's finally here, how much flying are you getting in?

Advert

I had one flight on Monday with my Funfly on a different prop, more aileron response and repaired covering after the last flight (small hole covered with solarfilm and a Stig sticker!). The plane felt a lot more balanced with the new prop and aileron response. Good fun, but then it started raining.

Like Robin said, if this rain carries on then my Domino will get built very quickly! Need more Funfly flight time, only 1 hour 13 minutes on her in the first 4 sessions (8 flights).

CS

The weather down here isn't really up to scratch this year but at least I'm not having think about putting the house on stilts.........smile

Went down to Terry's site at Lalbenque on Monday, where the forecast was for 26C, sunshine and 5kph breeze - although I think the French Met Office anemometers must need a bit of oiling - we could have leaned against the wind at times.......smile o

Terry and John were there, Terry with his 4st-powered Boomerang test-bed, WOT4, Easyglider and Phoenix Rainbow. John has been acquiring models prolifically and had a car-full including a sweet little Art-Tech Corsair, Easyglider with a natty paint scheme, baby SuperCub and an E-Pioneer trainer.

I had the CG Cub, Easyglider, Phoenix Decathlon and Ripmax Akrobat.

The day started with much mirth as Terry beat the Boomerang's prop with a chickenstick, succeeding in getting it to blow air in the wrong direction.......teeth 2

Eventually, after much muttering from me along the lines of "I just plug in and go......", it was started and settled down to a healthy bluuurrrrppp.

I managed to get a couple of pics although having my fingers firmly jammed in my ears most of the time made it rather difficult:

lalbenque1.jpg

Looks good despite the protruding metalwork - and flew very well indeed! thumbs up

lalbenque2.jpg

We all gave our EG's an airing but the gustiness made smooth flying a bit challenging and I had the messiest landing of all.........but no harm donesmile

John's little Corsair was really too light for the conditions and it fell victim to a side-gust on take-off, detaching the u/c and bending the prop shaft, more's the pity. Looking forward to see it in calmer weatherthumbs up

We turned our attention to his E-Pioneer, which had yet to be maidened - and I made a tentative offer to do the honours, which was immediately snapped up! Ran through just about everything, reducing the rates, putting in some expo and aileron differential to make it nice and docile. Motor run and range check and we were off.........to probably the most sluggish take-off I have ever achieved. Imagine a fully bombed-up Lanc trundling off for the evening and you'll get the idea.....

I'd passed V1 just before the end of the strip and it gets very bumpy beyond that, so it was a case of ease the stick back and see what happens...and about 40 yards beyond it, I was still at about 10 or 20 feet AGL......

Gingerly, I teased her around the circuit, very thankful that I'd tamed down the controls. Lining her up, she came in for an uneventful landing and we took her back for some investigation:

lalbenque3.jpg

The 13 x 8 prop was deemed to be the culprit, so, the ESC having survived (unlike Terry's forefinger which he used as a thermometerteeth 2), the prop was swapped for a 12 x 6, which sounded much more lively. None of us had brought a wattmeter, so we were a bit in the dark but, as it wasn't mine, I was eager to give it another go.....

Been told I'm writing too much........

Back again.......

Much better this time, although far from lively, it was an absolute doddle in the air. It's the first time I've flown a pukka trainer-type since the early '80's and it flew just like the soggy trainers on Phoenix!teeth 2

lalbenque5.jpg

After a couple of gentle circuits the motor refused to turn any more and a safe deadstick was achieved. A thorough investigation will get it all sorted, I'm sure, and it looks to be a very good, decent-sized, trainer for John to extend his experiencethumbs up

Looks good in the air:

lalbenque4.jpg

lalbenque6.jpg

Terry had his usual hooligan session with the Wotty and an almost-going-backwards flight with the Rainbow, whilst I couldn't resist trying out my new 808#16 HD keyfob cam:

Not a bad day! smile pteeth 2
Pete

Last Sunday turned out slightly better weather-wise than expected and I got a few flights in.

I'd been over on Salisbury Plain (not flying) in the morning and early afternoon and returned home mid-afternoon not expecting to be able to fly in the predicted monsoon conditions. It didn't seem too bad so I stuck a heli on a quick charge and watched a bit of the tennis whilst the heli charged. When rain stopped play at Wimbledon I flicked over to the F1 from Silverstone that I'd recorded, expecting to see that right through to the end. After all, Wimbledon is only some 6 miles away, and if it's raining there...

Well, 9 laps into the GP the heli was charged and the weather looked much better than it was 6 miles up the road so I went and had a few flights. There were a few of us there getting some much-needed "stick time" after the poor weather recently. We were lucky that some ominous-looking clouds narrowly missed passing overhead, so all in all a much better afternoon than it might have been. At least if you ignore the tennis and F1 results!

Its meant to nice round my manor tomorrow according to XC Weather, cloudy but dry with little wind, got an hours work in the morning, and my little lads sports day in the afternoon but then hopefully I can get a few hours in for the first time in a couple of weeks, use some fossil fuels up insted of snatching the odd quick leccy flight here and there between showers.

We need a fingers crossed smiley

With the rain stopped I put the Pipe Lagger in the boot and down to the patch. 10 -15 mph wind !. Up she went with no problem, half throttle, and she was stationary in the air, then backwards ! I must say she handles the wind well. 12 mins later, she was down in front of the shower. PLs great fun. Cheers FB3

Well guys, it is the middle of winter here in New Zealand, however I spent 6 hours at the flying field yesterday and was ‘flown out’ by the time I went home. The temperature got up to 19 degrees C, no wind and not and cloud in the sky, a fantastic flying day. Even plane maintenance is nil from the day, I just had to put them away!!! Even felt a little sunburnt yesterday evening, guess I should have put my sun hat on!

I got a couple of hours in yesterday morning. Just the Matrix and WOT4 as usual. Was a bit blustery so mainly flew the WOT. I weathered out a small shower but when the big black coulds started building it was time to go. So I packed up and went and spent my mid year bonus on servos at Moor Models!! Now I need some nice weather please as I want to maiden my, new to me, Top Gun Taylorcraft. smiley

Andy

I can count on one hand how many times I have been to the flying site this year!! it's either Raining or too Windy or both!.Last I heard most of the strip ws under water and I don't have a float plane (now theres a thought)

I have almost gone back to Winter mode in the middle of Summer!! I'm about to start my winter build Galaxy/Pegasus Magician.

Edited By Tony H on 12/07/2012 17:20:50

Got down the club last Tuesday and got down today. Tuesday managed a few flights in between showers until the heavens opened fully.

Today went down but it was gusty and a strong cross wind. Did three flights with the Pulse 25xt and two flights with the Pawnee 40. Second cross wind landing with the Pawnee was a near crash. Came over the threshold and reduce power for landing.

Wind was really throwing the Pawnee around just as the wheels were two feet from touching the wind caught it and pushed it over by 45%. It was too late to apply power and get away with landing. The wing tip caught and pulled it round to the right and it nosed in before settling on its wheels.

Seems the tail wheel took brunt when it settled back on to its wheels.

So you either don't fly as it to windy or you fly and risk damaged. You cant win.

Posted by Pete B on 11/07/2012 22:40:13:

The weather down here isn't really up to scratch this year but at least I'm not having think about putting the house on stilts.........smile

Went down to Terry's site at Lalbenque on Monday, where the forecast was for 26C, sunshine and 5kph breeze - although I think the French Met Office anemometers must need a bit of oiling - we could have leaned against the wind at times.......smile o

Hi Pete - only just seen this!

Really a most rewarding day! The left aileron linkage on the Boomer has been replaced - moral of that story is not to mix M2 clevises and threaded rod between different suppliers. Pete very kindly didn't mentioned the fact that the maiden was carried out with a useless left aileron as the clevis decided it was too big for the threads on the link as soon as it took to the air and the whole flight was flown with my left thumb hard over on the rudder (Mode 1!) Good job it was right hand circuits. I seem to remember looping it and testing the stall too!

Very good vid most enjoyable - how did you edit the .Mov file?

Pete's Decathlon is well sorted out and if I was a jealous tyoe of guy I would be really envious. What am I saying- I really am envious!!! The Druine is nicely sorted too.

Roll on next time - very windy again today!

Terry

Just been out for a couple of hours tonight with the AstroHog. Horrible cross wind, but no rain

Hurray....teeth 2

Also maidened my new Futaba 8J.. seems very nice but I need to learn where some of the sticks are.

Its just started drizzling, sad but I am back home and everything back on charge.

Hopefully out again tomorrow evening and Sunday..

Martyn

Well last evening we had violent thunder storms with hail that set off my car alarm. Tonight we have had continuous rain. This seems to have been the weather pattern for almost four months. My club is 52 miles away and has it 'fly-in' weekend next Saturday and Sunday. To date I have had three flying trips this year.

I have charged my Twinstar batteries in the hope of getting some flying in this weekend,but only the Sunday weather forecast does not include rain. As for my IC models I have only flown the Super 60 this year in March.

It can only get better?

MJE

I nipped out,the wind had dropped but it started spitting,i got the cessna out and onto the runway in case it stopped,but i was at the point of no return having got it out the car smiley

just starting to do some really nice,clean figer 8`s,and my second loop smiley

I last went flying about 3 weeks ago when we had a brief sunny and calm spell. It only lasted 2 days so I took the opportunity. Since then rain, wind, more rain. This summer we've cancelled one caravan trip and spent another last month in showers or driving rain. In fact, we got so fed up with the weather we booked a holiday in Italy and have just come back. I'm sitting here rubbing my sunburn and looking out at a wet garden and the wind blowing. It's supposed to be our club BBQ and fly-in this coming weekend, the forecast isn't good but I'll charge the Tx and some batteries. Last year's BBQ was a great success with wall to wall sunshine. My flying this year has been a few flights then weeks of rain and doing other things then a few more flights. I need to get out more!