Summer's finally here, how much flying are you getting in?

Went to our field yesterday for the first fliyng session since last october,as access is not easy in wet weather and we've had a lot of that in West sussex lately, to test fly a new Joysway Performer 1100 electric glider (my first attempt at a powered glider). Had four flights with varying degrees of control as the CG was out and I only took the model, Tx and a small amount of plasticine with me - no tools. Managed to tame it a bit but it didn't want to turn on ailerons if the motor wasn't running but ok on rudder. Took it home with no damage but will be in the workshop later to sort things out. It feels quite heavy for a small glider but seemed to glide well in the slight breeze yesterday. Now off to collect my mate from hospital.

John

Advert

All day here in the NW of England the weather varied from wind and rain, to wind and a deluge. I went into the garage and considered how much timber I have stock piled. Have i enough for an arc, or a row boat. I do have 3 canoes, although it is some 30 years since I last paddled. What was Sundays forecast, heavy rain, with light wind.

During the night I was frequently awakened by heavy rain. In the morning there was not the customary clattering of the cat making its way out of the house via the cat flap. Not good weather i thought as I dosed, if he is staying in.

I was very surprised on getting up, at about 09.00hrs that there was no rain. After breakfast I hurriedly departed for the field, expecting rain at any time. How many would there be today, I wondered. Not a one it tuned out.

I decided to fly my Depron/glass/WBV delta, first. I now know I must throw it up and away vigorously. The first attempt had the model banking hard left in the now noticeable wind. It hit the ground before I got to the controls. I stood and looked, as both motors continued to run, I eventually reacted and shut them down. I inspected foe damage, none, it would seem.

I tried again, this time throwing up and right slightly, Again it turned left, levelled out, and had done a hundred metres before I got to the sticks. I think I need to adjust the stick lengths to my other Tx's or quickly get used to the 8fg. I satisfied my self with just basic flying, circuits. It is extremely sensitive about the roll axis, essentially rocking either way with the smallest input. Must check how much exponential I have in. Although I suspect it is an aerodynamic issue. I also noticed that it climbs in turns down wind, by quite a lot, presenting a Vulcan/concord type climbing profile. Down wind turns, are accompanied by a significant loss of height when turning into wind, needing a lot of up elevator. It could be the draggy nature of a turning delta when turning? Low passes are a doddle, very stable and pointy in pitch, the best model I have flown, does not waver, rock solid. landing caught me out again. I came in under power, at about 2 feet above the ground, I pulled a little up, cut the power, and promptly pancaked in, a real belly flop. I can see why deltas are not the most popular planes, full of idiosyncrasies.

I then flew my 2m Sagitta, did my 20 minutes, before deciding it was to boring, bags of battery life left. Did find some lift, in the fresh wind, with the clouds scudding by. One of our new members had arrived whilst flying the Sagitta. He decided it was to windy for him.

I decided to go home fot F1 and prepare myself for the England game.

As I sit here tapping at the keyboard, the sun is cracking the flags outside, so much fo the weather prediction.

Was just out on the field to maiden Seagull Edge 540 EP no 3, lovely conditions, light wind and sunny. Just now when the weekend is almost finished. Could have been earlier like this.

By the way - Edge no 3 flew well, despite the fact I use analogue servos...

just a bit of a warp in one of the ailerons I suppose (needed quite a bit of trim)

VA

What can i say about today. Incredibly humid, a little breezy and the pollen count must be high.

I flew three models, by the end of the session my eyes were so very sore, that I knew it was time to go home.

There were moments to record, a model lost by a club member, apparently gone for ever, in a vast sea of wheat, which now occupies all the down wind fields today. For once it was not the fields with the cows. As usual, it was found in a location where it could not be, much further away than seemed possible.

I experiment with trimming my delta with up elevator to launch, then a lot of down for the rest of the flight. Worked well, no skimming the ground, on launch today. I am getting to like it more, it only seems to like big manoeuvres, or a lot of speed is lost.

With all this good weather, and only four of us, well will members learn, it will soon be winter. The days of workers slipping of work seem to be over, just us old codgers now it would appear.

Cracking day myself too. For once I wasn't the only one at the field. There was quite a good turn out for mid week. I took my usual Wot 4 and Black Horse Matrix. I had some really good flights with both. I did get on a lot better with the Matrix. I have managed to get it to do inverted flat spinssmiley. So that pleased me immensely and got a couple of the other flyers thinking about getting a Matrix. I can't get it to enter a flat spin every time but as the fuel level comes down it get easier. So maybe the c of g needs changing a bit. I think the model is a little nose heavy anyway. I'll probably have to add weight at the tail frown(don't like adding dead weight!) but I can't think of where to move the battery pack to inside the fuselage. Might need to have a better think about it.

So all in all a good day and I learned something new!

Andy

16.00 nearly complete darkness-we have just had an amazing fireworks display and now outside looks like venice........june 2012.......! buses cancelled...Metro center flooded and on and on......water shortage-where? ...the way things are going they'll be wanting everyone to use their hosepipes....

ken anderson.....ne...1.....webbed feet/ duck dept....

Edited By ken anderson. on 28/06/2012 17:13:09

Erflog,

had a good look at the model and I think I can reposition the battery pack. I don't think a few grams at the tail will affect the wing loading at all. I think i only have to move it a bit so will have to take extra care when flying it next.

Andy

If you can achieve the CG without extra weight, great.

Although with power models in particular, a few grams on a medium sized model is not going to change much.

Given that the lift formula has a V^2 in it, it only takes a slight increase in velocity to restore the same value of lift.

It does matter on many FF models, due the disproportionate effect the extra weight has on the wing loading and often limited power.

As long as we do not go from 9 oz ft^2 to 25 oz ft^2, i personally stay relaxed, an increase of 0.5 oz ft^2 matters little.

But as you have done, it is better to increase nothing. That is except gliders, when ballasting for wind .................wink

took today off work for my birthday and went to the airfield. Wind was 30mph - gusting to 36mph but i was determined to fly so out came my patternship Swallow 90. Three long flights, flew really well and hovered over the runway like a bird of prey ( i even managed to fly backwards for a while) and then well balanced approaches for 3 pointer landings. Perfick !!!

Went to the field this morning,determined to fly. Got out the car,and stood there for a few minutes,convincing myself it wasnt too windy. Got the Wot out,rigged her up and trudged across the field. The wind was howling across the strip,straight off Dartmoor.I saw a chap who is often up there walking his dogs,he said,didnt expect to see you here today,your not going to fly are you? I said i was going to give it a go and he wandered off across the field then stood there watching me. I started the Wot up,lined her up into the wind and opened the throttle. She lifted off within a couple of feet and climbed quickly. Turned her across wind,and she was like a thing possesed. Straight away i thought,get her down quickly,turned her back into wind,and just about managed to get her down in one piece.The chap with the dog shouted out,i thought it was a gonner then,i admitted it was a bit windy and started to pack up and go home.

I learnt today what i think was a bit beyond my limits regarding the wind but also pleased with myself for getting her down safely.

I don't mind flying in strong winds myself but seldom enjoy it! I much prefer calmer conditions where the model has a chance to fly nicely rather than being taken downwind at mach 3 and then spending the better part of a tankfull getting it backsmiley.

Today, after much consideration (about 3 seconds worth!!), I decided to watch the tennis have a few afternoon beers and light the BBQ!!

Andy

Ahh the wind!

Three years ago I turned my back on IC and went the electric route, something I have never regretted.

Unfortunately although I love my Sebart Sokhi and Angel I don't find them easy to fly in wind above 15mph as they are so light.

Our club site only has one runway and invariably you are also battling a cross wind some of the landings are a white knuckle affairs, as you have probably gathered I'm only an average weekend flyer.

However, some time back I converted a Kyosho Calmato 40 Sport from IC to electric it was very successful with a 4S and 12 x 8 prop it was flown in all weather conditions i guess being that bit heavier made all the difference in these windy conditions.

Bit off thread, but nice to see that Hangar 9 ARTF kits are IC or EP straight from the box with no modifications so you can have a leckie set up with a heavier air frame for those windy days.

Also just found out that Kyosho are going the same route there new range of ARTF kits that are IC or EP and the first one which was due to be released in April but now July is the new Calmato 40 Sport

Sorry for going a bit of thread.

JC

Is anyone else thoroughly fed up with this terrible "summer" weather?

Not only has it rained almost every day for the last several weeks, but the wind direction is absolutely all over the place, making even a decent slope session difficult.

Timbo.... fed up departmentangry

I agree. I have limited time for w/e flying and was really looking forward to getting out in the evenings. These sessions have been almost non existent since it got light enough to fly..

Still, got global warming to look forward to...

Martyn

Posted by Steve Houghton 1 on 03/07/2012 11:48:50:

I was out on the slopes all day on Saturday and on Sunday flying my new Whisper, great fun teeth 2

Steve

A470Soaring.blogspot.com

whisper.jpg

Yes, I have been a few times, but what with illness, and this erratic wind direction out in the atlantic, its been a very poor show in the last 5 -6 weeks - and looking at XC forecast for the next week, pants againfrown