Summer's finally here, how much flying are you getting in?

Well summer is really here, may be it will finish this weekend?

After a bout of illness, my planned Sunday outing had to be cancelled. So that was that wasn't it, well not quite, the cat is getting low on pouches. I ventured out this morning, the first time in over a week, to buy some special self tappers for my Son-in -laws Flymo. Managed that, and fixed the mower. I felt just good enough to go to the field to try a first flight of my rebuilt basic, new fuz, all the rest the same. Some subtle mods to deal with the shortcomings of the original fuz. Of course there are a smaller number of other issues now.

After Liddles, I drove to the field, expecting the farmer to be cutting it or , having cut the field, had now scattered the grass for air drying.

As I approached, I could see that there were at least one other modeller there and flying. I did recognise one car, not the other and guessed it was our two latest members, who are still learning to fly and more importantly land where they want, not where they have crashed.

I quickly went into the field with my comfy camping chair, model and transmitter box. Said my helloes, switched on checked one final time and launched. the model essentially flew straight out of my hand, very little trimming required. Did a few standard manoeuvres and landed having satisfied my self it was as good as ever, which surprised me a little.

The three of us took in the sun, and jawed for a while and then took in the sun and jawed, until we decided it was to hot and it was time to go home and have a beer, even though we knew some would suspect us of binge drinking and being alcoholics, after all, a bottle of beer is a real disgrace in this era, now taking over from H&S.

By the way, the grass was cut, gathered, baled and gone. How long have I been ill?

Advert

Few days back I had at least few minutes in the air, now I have some days on the top of the tree and I'm out till about 6th-10th of June, before getting new Sharky for its maidencheeky ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. Shift+A improves the quality of all images on this page....

Tom, photo is truly amazing!

Edited By Major on 29/05/2012 04:37:19

For me the answere is definitly not enough. I have put together a SAS Wildthing and after a month have still not tried it. As I am a novice I am waiting for exactly the right conditions. As my local big hill (Long Mynd) has a westerly face all I have had over the last few weeks are easterly winds!! My patience is rapidly running out.

Three old men sat in the middle of the field, taking in the sun, whilst it continued to shine. Two in those canvass chairs with built in drink holders, the third squatting on a small flight equipment box. There was a forth, that seemed to wander about just muttering, about the right Tx. I pondered is this something like the "right whale"?

Overhead a Ripmax Spitfire, swooped, rolled and undertook repeated low passes.

The group was engaged in important discussions, which ventured over varied topics, was perhaps the Ripmax spitfire, the best replica ever, that blend of "look and feel" and flying abilities?

Now the right Tx was located, was Spektrum, the Futaba killer? It appeared I am the only Futaba flyer present on 2.4. The consensus was the Spektrum Tx's are outstanding and their Rxs, do the business. Where as my Futaba was both expensive and just OK. I now felt depressed enough to fly my model.

The Spit was re-batteried and went up again, My model, I had just called the Basic, renamed by others as the Pheonix, after its rebuild joined in. There was so little wind, which way to take off etc. The blue sky with puffs of cloud, made orientation a little bit of an issue. The yellow underside, looking no different, to the red topside, in the high level of sunlight and brightness. All to soon it seemed it was time to land. The lack of wind was emphasised in the landing speed. More often and not, the model just apparently hovers, whilst descending to the ground. A little different on Wednesday, there was a most definite forward speed at touch down, a simple half flick onto its back. No harm done though.

Our mutterer was now engaged in those flight manoeuvres, which so recently seemed make believe and still are for me. Hanging on the prop, 300mmm above the ground, then I believe they are called rolling circles, knive edges etc all at zero height. I think the lack of wind could have made it easy, if I could only be bothered to emulate itangry 2

I changed to my Dornier 335. Now Myron asked if it was simply a case of rebinding the Rx if going from one Tx to another. In this case a 6EX to an 8fg. Being the third time I have done it, I can now say probably not, in all cases, there were definite changes to the surface positions, not hjor yet there. So in the case of the 335, a lot of time was spent in the first instance, pressing the digital trims madly, to get a semblance of trim.

Again in my chair, I contemplated the rather dark clouds approaching. Hmmm, is this the end? Has the sun set on our heaven ?

Time for one more flight with the 335. The wind had increased and then a few spots of rain were felt. I made a hurried approach to land, got it wrong and went round again. This time on the turn into wind, I cut the power to much, as it swung into the wind, the model visibly, came to ma halt and promptly fell out of the sky, in a pancake flop, not a stall, just stopped flying, due to the lack on any sensible forward speed. Part of the issue, is that relatively massive body, when side on, generates a lot of drag and I had been careless. Again no damage though.

At this point I could see the last flier but one, disappearing through the gate catching a glimpse of the rapidly departing heels of his shoes. Taking the point. I too, high tailed it out of the field, locking up behind me.

As you might expect, 10 minutes later, the sun was out again.

Down at our weekend retreat 5 miles south of Caernarfon, beach is less than 100 metres from our caravan door. All calm this evening so took HZ Champ (the small one) down to the beach for a flight or 3 ....

There was a bit of an on shore breeze so having launched I then walked back to caravan site and landed on small lane outside the site, very sheltered so worked well. Then decided to fly from site ... Well actually from the car roof ! Have a Golf Estate and Champ happily took off from there, not quite good enough at spot landing to land back on the roof, but easily got back to the grass by the caravan, so much fun for such a small and cheap model ... I'm surprised the government don't tax it ,,,

Get down the club around every ten days. If I'm lucky sometimes I manage to get down every four.

Went day yesterday morning. Flew my pulse XT a few times until I ran out of lipos. Then flew the Cessna 182 around. Did ten approches and take offs then on the last take off tip stalled it nose in.

Well fed up as only had thirty odd flights on it and was greasing each landing.

not long back home from a visit to the Teeside model show...the weather was poor(rain/drizzle)..stopped a few of the aircraft from flying...i sold one of my squadron in the swap meet ..... got a few bits and piece's heatshrink,lipo's and some velcro...saw a few old face's and had some nosh....some one with me had 2/Two sandwiches from the hog roast stall...and a fish covered in mushy pea's for his pud! ... ye gazook's i hear you say.....so apart from the weather......... a Good day out.....

ken anderson ne..1 .....old face's dept.

The weather wasn't tooooo bad yesterday so I ventured out to fly. Not a bad afternoon in the end once the rain shower that appeared the moment I got out to the strip had passed. However I managed to destroy my Pushycat (againembarrassed) First time, a few months back, I mid-aired it on its 10th flight. A small number of parts (3 actually!) of the original made it into the rebuilt version. Yesterday I managed to break it when pulling out of a high speed dive into a low pass... Oops. Maybe a bit more reinforcement on the wing joint in its next incarnation!  That was only its 7th flight too.

Just off now to attack the local slope, fingers crossed the rain holds off!

Edited By John Privett on 05/06/2012 14:43:31

Well I took my SLEC Funfly out for it's second outing today in a light breeze. 1st flight Dad took off, handed it to me and 3 minutes in I opened the throttle a couple of clicks and the engine stopped. Hastly handed the DX6i to Dad and he landed her perfectly, thanks to brilliant gliding capabilities and good piloting. Next flight Dad took off again, this time the engine was faultless. Dad had a bit of a play, then I took controls. This plane is brilliant, smooth and just joyful to fly. Very easy as well, so easy that I decided to land her myself. After a couple of practice landing approaches, I brought her down nicely, this plane is brilliant at low speeds. Next flight I did everything including take-off, and the landing was absolutely perfect this time. Not claiming that I am the best pilot in the world, the plane is absolutely brilliant. My first build and the first plane I have owned (I've flown trainers for a long time), I am so pleased with my little Lotus Green and Yellow Funfly.

The day just got better, because we've ordered a Saito FA62A for my Galaxy Domino Biplane!