How Big is Yours

I was building from plans before Bleriot was a boy, or so it seems, but as a returnee to the hobby, I really would appreciate your thoughts.

I used to get a building board to fit the plans, and rest it on my mothers old kitchen table. These were generally small gliders and control line jobs, but I've just received, in the post , a plan which measures 63"x35". This would mean would mean a fairly big board which I would need to move around, I would rather build indoors with one eye on the TV than outside in my cold garage. Also if I go missing for hours on end each day in the garage, I get the evil eye from herself.

So how big is your board? Does it fit the whole plan or is it just big enough to accommodate the largest component say a wing or a fuselage side? Have you tried both options, in which case which do you find is the most convenient?

Cols

Advert

I have 3 boards and shelving brackets for two of them where they can be stored safely with WIP pinned to them. My boards are typically the same size (or larger) as the largest component and as I know how much space they take in the shed, then I also know the building limit for construction and storage within the shed. Conveniently, this is 72" long x 12" wide and the boards are all 45" long by 12" and 18" wide.

At the moment, I dont have the space to build bigger than this.

Martyn

Posted by Mystar on 05/07/2012 15:39:16:

I use the Great Planes building board, they do them in three sizes. Mine is the biggest at 48in x 24In. Very flat and made of block balsa, nice and easy to stick pins in.

I second the Great Planes building board. Worth every penny spent!!!!

mines 8foot long, and 4 foot wide, its supported by metal poles, its truer than a true thing, only problem is, i can see just 2 footx 2 foot of it, rest is covered in all manner of model thingsdont know

cut the plan, and get a board that suits the biggest piece, more space most of us have, more crap we endure

Posted by Alan Cantwell on 05/07/2012 18:20:02:

mines 8foot long, and 4 foot wide, its supported by metal poles, its truer than a true thing, only problem is, i can see just 2 footx 2 foot of it, rest is covered in all manner of model thingsdont know

Now that sounds just like mine!

Well, apart from the bit about it being 8 foot by 4 foot, supported by metal poles and truer than a true thing. The rest though is spot-on! embarrassed