What electric flight battery connectors do you mainly use?

There are  few others but hopefully I've got all the main types here.

I ignored 2mm bullets as these are pretty small and I doubt any flyers using the popular 3S are using them?

Some clarity -

EC-3 is the blue plug commonly fitted to battersies and ESCs from Horizon Hobby brands such as E-flite.

XT60 is the yellow connector commonly fitted to HK batteries.

MPX is Multiplex, the green connector.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 31/07/2012 10:45:15

Advert

I was using Deans until I hit connectivity issues with 6S Helis. My Heli club people have all moved off Deans due to this and the difficulty of disconnection, even with the ribbed ones.

When Gens Ace cells appeared in the UK with Deans sockets rather than the Tipple 3.5mm bullets I wasn't too happy, but didn't want to immediately alter them, so slit a few bullet where you'd normally solder a wire and directly soldered them to Deans plug rear blades to act as converters, thus the deans part never gets disturbed and theres a good cross sectional contact patch to carry the current.

Some now one year plus and no issues.

I used Deans for a long time but have been gradually converting to XT60's. Like Deans they can be a bit tight and need a bit more room for handling, so not really for small models.

They need fast heat for soldering so I use an 80W iron. I've found 12SWG is the realistic limit for wire size. 4mm heatshrink is the correct size for sleeving smaller wires but with 12SWG 5mm can be persuaded to fit the recess.

Pete

Am almost changed over to XT 60 from deans, I have nearly 200 lipols! so its taking some time. I have lost two good aircraft (70"  to failed deans plugs. Use 6mm in the big stuff though (12s 8000mhr)

As Pete B has indicated, a large iron with lots of heat for a short time, I use a Weller temp controlled leadlighting iron.

Graham

Edited By graham kindberg1 on 31/07/2012 12:32:05

Edited By graham kindberg1 on 31/07/2012 12:33:04

Dunno how that smiley got there, cant seem to edit it out??

Edited By graham kindberg1 on 31/07/2012 12:34:31

Started with Deans, moved to 4mm shielded Bullet, then onto XT60s. Have a few with EC3s on for PK planes (got for the new Spitfire, but haven't got the Spitfire yet). I wish HK and others, would stick with standard connectors by A draw. It used to be Deans, then became 4mm and 5.5 mm Bullet, then XT60.

Now I mainly use 4mm bullet connectors, just becuase most of my electrics are either high powered or 90+mm EDF. My high current draw set ups requires connectors able to withstand up to 85 A, ruling out Deans, EC3, MPX and XT60.

I find Deans and some XT60 a real pain to seperate, EC3 are not bad, but bullets are easier. You just need to be more careful with shielding/heat shrink; you would be amazed what a 4S pack capable of delivering 120A can do - vapourised a 4mm bullet (don't ask how I know)surprise

Deans. Used to use MPX green ones, using three pins per pole, on smaller models but moved to Deans as MPX are not readily obtainable where I live (Southampton).. With care you can solder two Deans plugs and one socket directly together to make a low resistance and compact Y-connector (thanks to BVMJets for this).

The ribs on the later Deans help with disconnecting and filing a small bevel on the plug pins help with connecting.

If you have trouble with melting push a plug and a socket together before soldering.

Shortly after I settled on Deans the XT60 started to appear. Wish they would make up their minds. Not changing now.

Deans are fine, sometimes the arc shape springs jam and make some trouble - this can be annoying as a retrial to connect leads to flashing receiver leds. So we don't know if the crash was a brown out or too slow and too narrow in the landing curve - (which is the majority of the " brown out " problems in my opinion...)

Of course, switch off and on the transmitter and restart the game will help.

Started using XT60 recently, they are better as it looks, but I don't want to change every model/battery as it is a lot of work and it may produce cold welding and after that even more trouble....

VA - non English mother tongue department - hope my punctuations are right face 21

Deans work for me, though I only use 3s.

As many others I started with these HXT 4mm bullet connectors, which were bulky, took time to assemble. But it was the space required that was the killer. Also they only seemed to be available from Hillcot, which seemed to disappear and were very expensive, certainly compared to HK.

I eventually standardised on Deans as most Lipos came with Deans at that time. I then understand that Deans (the real ones started an action against Chinese products using them) and they switched, Booo Hoooocrying 2.

I will stick with the Deans type for the foreseeable future.

I like the Deans connector seems a good solid connection though agree can be a little stiff to seperate. Though I did realise after soldering a couple of plugs on that to ensure the heat doesn't effect the alignment of the connectors arms (I was using a 40w solderin) its a good idea to put the other half of the connector together before soldering it. Since doing that all the connectors slide apart a lot easier.