Be honest, how good are you (at flying)?

"I'm the one" was my answer to the poll but "Competent": is the truer answer in my case, however I'm nearly always asked to do the maiden flight of a new or repaired aircraft, both power, thermal glider and slope. Helicopters are not my scene as they are an abomination to true "flight" so I have steered well clear of those contraptions.

Hmm, going by the poll criteria I've put good because I can do those things if not well at least without crashing. I often carry out maiden flights for others too and that would raise my standing to another level but "I am the one" is too self praising and I can't do it.

Anyway my own assesment would be competent at the type of flying I like to do - scale like with some aero's thrown in.

The poll is a bit odd. I don't think anyone can prop hang a trainer unless they've done some pointless modifications to it to make it fly 3D.

As I do a lot of test flights for other people now, I put that. Surely, the phrase 'I'm the one' though exists only in the ego-crazy heads of people who think they're above 'master' crook

Well according to the list I've put myself as good. However I think I would call myself competant. I usually go home with the models in the same state as they arrived. I guess it depends on what I'm trying to do. I can fly cicuits well, perform basic and some intermediate aeros. I maiden all my own planes and have maidened a few others for club members (nothing fancy just basic trainers or low wing jobs). However, it's when I'm trying to do something different or lower that things tend to go pear shaped!! This month has been trying to say the least. I think it's becaused I've been rushed to get some flying in and not concentrating properly on what I'm doing.

Andy (back from holiday and having a rest at work)

Am at the « practice » barrier. With regular flying I can manage a recognizable knife figure eight (in either direction). Then work, wind and other matters take me out of the air for 2-3 weeks and knife edge becomes a challenge again embarrassed

Oh for more practice, practice, practice…

Mark

Skill level crept up a smidgeon today. (but still at learning/competent stage)

managed a couple of circuits at the slope today with the trusty Zagi inverted. All went well until it got too far back and over my head. Couldn't judge the pitch so had to do a 1/2 roll only for it to screw out with insufficient hight to recover. Luckily they bounce well.

Another skill improving and another lesson learned.

Ian

Never a truer word Stephen. When you're learning you have a struggle to ensure you have a flyable plane! Then one day you go into the hangar and there's more planes flyable than you could possibly fit in the car. Soon after that you suddenly find there's so many planes that there is no room for any more models so you start to have a rummage around and find perfectly flyable models you forgot you had!

Then, wonderful hobby that this is, you go through "one of those periods" and stuff-in three in a week - just to remind you not to be too complacent!

BEB

Posted by Stephen Grigg on 29/08/2012 09:32:46:

You can tell when you become competant,you have to many models to fly.

That's me laugh

I've answered "compentent" because I can't do the manoeuvres mentioned in "Good", but I'm often asked to maiden new models for people because I can fly almost anything I'm given, though only in a basic manner -- circuits, loops, rolls, check the stall, etc.

As has already been said, "How good are you?" is a bit subjective and difficult for an individual to acurately rate him/her self. In my case I have my 'B', have been flying models for 43 years and taught a handful of folks to fly power and slope soaring. I can't do 3D aerobatics, but I can competently pilot a very small 180MPH pylon racer safely and don't suffer pre flight nerves on maiden flights. Does that make me good? I don't think so when I compare myself to many others in the hobby, but I would like to think that I'm 'moderately' competent?

Competent = landing when you decide when and where you want to land ...

i.e. not a missed approach ... not a touch and go ...

Every flight has to end with a landing ... so for me competence is a flight when after (a successful) launch you fly and carry out any manouver you 'intend' to carry out and then you land at a time and in a place you 'intend' to.

So I would admit that I am no good at 'aeros' but I hammer my cicuits and landings, so that I can be sure that I can return to 'terra firma' in one piece ... when and where I decide I want to ...

For me landing within a 3 metre circle is the most rewarding end to a flight, and being able to do that helps to define my interpretation of of 'competence'

A good working definition Avtur. I normally hammer circuits and aborted landings when flying somewhere new or with a model for the first time. even my first flight of the day at known location with a known model - just so if i do need to land for any reason I have my eye in!

Olly

• 3 weeks later...