Short S.23 ''C'' Class Empire flying boat

Bart83

Advert

Thanks Joe , here is the annoucement opst by Gary from RcGroups :

=====================

Dreams of Empire

Hello all,

Bart83 and I would like to announce the launch of a joint project we have been working on across the world

– his design of an Empire flying boat – and my laser cutting of a short kit for same.

If you are seeing this you have been following his most excellent build thread with step by step CAD drawings and elegant photographs depicting the evolution and realization of his dream.

I contacted Bart early on in this thread and discussed the idea of a joint venture as we both have a deep affection for flying boats – which has resulted in a wonderful collaboration bringing this together. I have always felt it takes more than one to make this happen in a reasonable amount of time with as busy as life can be sometimes.

All credit goes to Bart for his production and engineering of the CAD plans for the aircraft. Plainly a work of art!

This is the main thread to follow as he is well ahead on all aspects and of course no thunder can be matched with this magnificent storm of genius.

Bart will of course chime in as he gave the go ahead to go public and "Fire away!!!"

He has created a contact address for plans at:[email protected] Available when the maiden flight has occurred.

The Short kit can be viewed here.

I’m starting a thread for my build of Bart83’s Empire flying boat in the Waterplanes forum. Its title will be **LINK**

As you might come upon this from an alternate route the original thread can be found here:
]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719075

Cheers!

Gary

================

Cheers,

Bart

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/01/2013 11:55:51

Bart83......Love your work, as per others watching your post, complete admiration. CAD... I wouldn't know where to start, and how do you transfer that design to the balsa wood flat sections?

I would very much like to build this myself, I'm more focused on Static models (plastic and Balsa), no real RC knowledge at all. Is there anywhere I could buy your printed Balsa pannels to bring this to life myself? would you be prepared to put together a kit for other (CAD inexperienced enthusiasts) to buy?

I have been looking for years for detailed model of the S.23.....It is a pitty such a beautiful peice of aviation history is not better reprsented in the market....you've done well.

Posted by gw_soup on 20/01/2013 02:32:59:

Bart83......Love your work, as per others watching your post, complete admiration. CAD... I wouldn't know where to start, and how do you transfer that design to the balsa wood flat sections?

I would very much like to build this myself, I'm more focused on Static models (plastic and Balsa), no real RC knowledge at all. Is there anywhere I could buy your printed Balsa pannels to bring this to life myself? would you be prepared to put together a kit for other (CAD inexperienced enthusiasts) to buy?

I have been looking for years for detailed model of the S.23.....It is a pitty such a beautiful peice of aviation history is not better reprsented in the market....you've done well.

==============================

Hello ,

First of all thanks for the kind words

The plan and short kit are available on this website :

**LINK**

The parts are all laser cut except for the boxframe. Please keep in mind that this is not an exact scale model. I have made some scale consessions to improve flying characteristics.

- Used a different airfoil.

-Tail surfaces are larger

- Cause of the thinner wing the nacelles are some smaller too.

Cheers,

Bart

Edited By Bart83 on 20/01/2013 08:43:53

Edited By Bart83 on 20/01/2013 08:44:19

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 24/04/2013 13:35:56

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 04/03/2013 18:57:55:

That really looks smashing Bart! I also love the battery trays - very professional!

BEB

Thank you sir!!

Here are some more picture's , finding the covering very hard to do but learning as i go :

s23 (328).jpg

s23 (332).jpg

s23 (337).jpg

s23 (344).jpg

s23 (347).jpg

s23 (350).jpg

s23 (357).jpg

s23 (358).jpg

Cheers,

Bart

Posted by stu knowles on 28/03/2013 08:49:28:

Very nice. Beautiful design & build

What is the metallic covering that you are using.??

You know that it would be a crime to only produce one of these models. Methinks that you need to go into the kitting business.

stu k

Thanks for the kind words. The covering i use is Oracover Chrome.

A crime to build just one ? You're right take a look here :

**LINK**

Cheers,

Bart