Futaba T14SG chat

Simon Chambers

A simple way to do this is by setting a second throttle curve. Go to the Throttle Curve Menu. Change INH to ON. Scroll to #1 and change this to #2. Assign LS as recommended by Geoff or any other switch of your choice to activate curve #2.

With curve #2 selected via the slider/switch, change the 0 at the bottom of the screen to +5 and test the effect on the motor of switching between curves 1 and 2 with the throttle stick fully closed. (Model restrained and hands clear of the prop!). Adjust the +5 value if necessary to give the desired tick-over speed.

• 4 weeks later...
Advert

I assume you are using the Butterfly menu? On screen 1/3 enter a value for each flap, move the control (J3), and observe how the flaps move. If they move in the wrong direction change the values to negative. Adjust the value to give the desired amount of movement.

I don't understand your comment about the Kindle. Do you own one? If not, do you want help downloading a Kindle app to your computer?

Go to the Function Menu and check which channels Flap and Flap2 are assigned to. On the model make sure that you have both flap servos connected to these two receiver channels. Scroll through the Function Menu's screens to find Butterfly. Assign the control you wish to use in place of J3.

If you now follow the instructions in my previous post the flaps should work correctly. If not, please can you to describe to me what programming you have already done in your attempt to set up butterfly as you are presumably trying to do it by a different method.

SR 71. Glad you like the book.

• 2 months later...

My 14SG has started switching on at the RF Power menu. This is normally reached by switching on with the finger on the centre of the rotary dial. I am not touching that; in fact have switched on with the model flat on a table, only touched to turn on power then no contact. Doesn't seem to be a configurable option from the system menu.

Any suggestions?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello Maarten,

If I remember correctly, when FASST LBT was introduced there were issues with some other-brand compatible receivers. Whether these have been resolved I do not know but, if you are not using Futaba receivers, it is probably worth checking with the appropriate manufacturers.

Personally I have never had or witnessed a issue with a Futaba FASST transmitter but, statistically, my experience is insignificant. Thousands of these transmitters are in use. A handful of posts is similarly insignificant.

Thank you for your reply Malcolm, and thanks for writing the excellent book on the T14SG. It made switching from Graupner to Futaba a breeze.

I agree that a handful of posts is insignificant considering the amount of users. The interesting thing is that I can only find reports from Germany on RC-network and the Futaba Forum concerning Fasst LBT. Some users have switched back to V 4.0 to eliminate LBT. Apparantly this is no issue in the UK.

Best regards and safe flying, Maarten

• 3 months later...
Posted by Maurice Dyer on 16/09/2018 20:36:22:

Another question. If I adjust control movement down via end point, do you lose some resolution of that control, as opposed to moving the linkages in or out ?. I mean I closed the throttle of an i.c model down to 50 per cent, but the throttle control felt very soft and sluggish.

Cheers

Maurice

Yes but it's not a Tx thing but you've halved the servo movement, so the full control movement now only gives half the steps, say 512 instead of 1024. I doubt you'd notice this on a throttle though.

• 1 month later...

This is probably a dumb question, but it is one that has been puzzling me for a while and relates to End Point adjustment.

p1050479.jpg

Referring to the manual, which is not much help, the 135 reading is the "Limit Point" with an adjustment range 0%-155%, while the 100 reading relates to the "Travel" with 0%-140% range. I usually set the end point via the "Travel" setting and don't touch the "Limit Point". I am unclear what the "Limit Point" actually is. Anybody enlighten me? Thanks.

Because of the mixing capabilities of the transmitter, a servo can be operated by more than one control simultaneously. For example, the rudder is under the direct control of its own stick J4 but, if an aileron to rudder mix has been programmed, it will also respond to movements of the aileron stick (J1). These effects are cumulative so, if both sticks are moved simultaneously, the servo could be driven to a point at which it stalls or damages the linkages. To prevent this, the Limit Points set the maximum amount the servo can move regardless of the number of mixes affecting it.

In the above example, the limit points could be set as follows. First set the Limit Points (135) to their maximum (155). Now hold the rudder stick fully right and increase the right TRAVEL value. The rudder will move further outwards and the servo will eventually begin to buzz in complaint. Make a note of the TRAVEL value at which this happens. Set the right LIMIT value to a slightly lower number to give a margin of safety and reset the TRAVEL value to its original setting. Now do the same for left rudder.

• 5 months later...

I have a problem with the engine cut and idle down facility.

I suspect it's my own fault but it only seems to happen when the throttle servo is reversed.

I've checked on my kindle copy of malcolm's book but it doesn't switch my light on (or cause my penny to drop) any pointers gratefully received.