Cyano bottle tops

Colin Bernard

Anyone have any tips on how to stop the tops on cyano bottles getting glued solid?

I like to use decent CA from the likes of Deluxe, 5star etc, but I end up having to bin bottles of it because in time the cap gets glued onto the bottle and I can't open it.

i have now resorted to using the Poundland stuff just so I don't have the problem, but then of course I don't have the choice of thick, thin etc.

i have tried wiping the spout with solvent after every use, but it doesn't seem to work long term - so does anyone else have this problem or a solution?

Advert

5star sells replacement spout and cap sets. I normally buy three or four sets when I buy glue from him. I would be careful with the pound shop stuff, as I'm fairly confident that it made me ill.

In this thread, the guy behind 5star says that the pound shop stuff can contain illegal solvents. Now to be fair they are a competitor but my experience is that what he sells doesn't affect me anything like as much.

I had a long chat with him at the Nats, as I have had fairly severe reactions to some cyano glues, and he told me that he would be surprised if his product affected me in the same way. I do have a slight reaction to it, and have to be careful, but nowhere near the kind of issues that were arising with the Cheap products and some other more expensives brands.

Yes, I always get a few spare spouts too, but what I find is that the cap that screws over the spout sticks to the thread on the bottle, and then after a bit the top that goes over the spout sticks to the cap, so I can't get at the glue at all.

I have tried leaving the top loosely fastened but that didn't seem to work for me.

and I agree on the Poundland stuff. I buy the cards with a number of small bottles and sometimes they seem ok and other batches seem to have trouble doing the job.

Cyano doesn't really stick properly to the bottles it come in so it's usually possible to unclog the spouts but, if not, then keeping a few spare spouts works. I keep my fresh cyano in the fridge. It keeps better and doesn't thicken so quickly.

The 5 Star people are always ready to chat if they're not busy. My wife likes to buy their special cyano and etching fluid for various gluing jobs around the house. That's why she doen't mind me keeping mine in the fridge alongside hers

Geoff

Simples- Just make sure no air(containing moisture ) ever gets into the bottle other than what is in there from the factory .In other words ,unscrew the top with the bottle inverted and replace the top after use inverted .Never upright it 'til after use for replacing on your shelf & when you have ,give it several firm taps in the upright position to stop liquid remaining near the top!!

Myron --inverted dept

I throw the screw lid away as soon as I open a bottle of cyano now and just use a drawing pin with a plastic body pushed in to the opening hole and have never had a problem (obviously as long as the pin is a tight fit in hole) this was after many bottle lids sticking and having to cut through both the lid and spout to get 1 last use from.

baz

I submerge all my old CA bottles in a jar of acetone for a day or two. It dissolves all the CA and frees up the tip. I let the tips dry out, then put them a side as replacements.

As soon as the tip on my existing bottle starts to get a bit encrusted with dry CA, I replace the tip with one of the old ones, and put the the existing one into the jar of acetone.

Give it a go. It works for me, at any rate.

I use a piece of capilliary tube from the LMS fitted into the end of nozzle, it gives good control for application. After use I wipe its nose on a piece of tissue with a little squeeze so that no glue remains in the tube, then I leave it open to atmosphere. It lasts for several months that way.

I use Rocket or Zap, don't trust the Poundland stuff -some test pieces I did a couple of years ago were very poor.

Only issues are:

1. Don't drill out the hole too big for the capilliary tube otherwise it comes out round the outside the bottle, runs down and sticks you fingers to the bottle. You don't need to ask me how I know, it took half an hour to cut my fingers free as I didn't have any de-bonder at that time

2. Stand the uncapped bottle in a container so it can't fall over. Again you don't need to ask me how I know blush

Unfortunately my LMS has closed so I'm going to have to find a new source of tube

a) build quicker so it doesn't have time to set

b) build more so there's less left in the bottle

c) use aliphatic or PVA, then there's no problem

Seriously, since using Wickes thick superglue (labelled as Rapid Mitre Bond) I've not had this problem and it seems less toxic than other cheap brands. If I want thin cyno (for impregnating balsa to stiffen it) I use the cheap bottles from Poundland - not the tubes though as they really are carp.

Posted by Danny Fenton on 23/12/2012 10:52:25:

I used to find that my thin Zap would not clog the capillary tube at all and would be great for months at a time. Now I am finding the tube is clogging all the time. I have also had two large bottles of thin zap go completely thick. Never used to happen smile o do you think the chemistry has changed?

Cheers

Danny

The answer is to store it in the fridge. The cold extends the life and helps to stop it from going thick. Don't know about the chemistry - perhap your workshop is warmer?

Geoff

I posted the same issue many years ago, one of the replies suggested that smearing the nozzle with Vaseline, as he did. He claimed he never had a problem with sticking caps or blocked nozzles.

I followed his suggestion, and it really does work. I now use a generous smear, as it works even better.

I have had some cyno run over the nozzle and solidly. Surprisingly, to me, it comes free, by gripping with a tissue and twisting.

Who ever made the suggestion, is now one of my heroes!

The best way to keep a nozzle clear and cap not stuck on is to not clean the nozzles while the glue is wet........only clean when the glue has gone past the wet jelly like partialy polymerised state

Wait for the glue to go hard on the nozzle and it will crack off the plastic as the bottle nozzles are very hard to bond , they are very low density polyethylene that has been treated to give a flourocarbon coating that works like teflon, Rubbing the nozzle scratches the surface and if using something like a tissue it rubs cotton dust ( a great catylist for cyano ) into the surface scratches giving the glue something to stick to

When you open a bottle do it with a sharp knife, never use anything that gives a rough cut, never poke anything into the nozzle such as a nail, pin, drill etc, reasons are the inside surface coating can be damaged , and the plastic itself can be roughened up to give a good place for a mechanical bond , drilling bits from nozzles into the bottle will cause the bottle to start to set , leaving a pin or nail in the bottle causes it to go off due to contamination of the glue with metal ions

Vaseline or silicone oil on the bottom of the nozzle works but be sure your not going to get it on your fingers as it may be transfered to the item to be bonded

Whatever you do dont do what we have seen an demostrator at exhibitions saying to do, putting a bit of plastic bag in between the 2 parts of the cap , un surface treated polythene becomes brittle in contact with LIQUID cyano after a week or so and shatters leaving loads of bits stuck everywere to deal with when you remove the lid

Some good tips above.........thumbs up

Refrigeration helps considerably - I have usable bottles that have been in the fridge for a year or two. For thin cyano, I use these Ex-Long CA Tips from HK -great for topping up an order.

I remove the screwcap and fit one of these over the nozzle. When I've finished a session, I just put it back in the fridge as it is. The glue sets only at the very tip. When I come to use it the next time, I cut about 2mm off the tip, clearing the set glue, and carry on using it, continuing until the capillary tube is exhausted. The current bottle of ZAP has been going since last year........smile

Pete