Jeremy Vine excels himself.....

Pete B

For my sins, I tend to have Radio 2 on in the background during the day.

One of today's subjects is the Dreamliner troubles.

I raised an eyebrow when he asked "If the batteries stop working, does it fall out of the sky?"

A short while later, he topped that with "It doesn't run on batteries, does it?"face 21

Pete

Advert

I really resent the way that the programme is constructed and controlled so as to develop fatuous 'discussion' and anything approaching the boring truth is squashed!

Shame as this is prime time radio reaching a reasonable audience which is being peddled entertaiment instead informed debate!

BBC can and should do better.

Terry

Edited By Terry Walters on 17/01/2013 13:10:22

Pete

Can't believe that intelligent people like yourself listen to anything other than Radio 4.I have it on all day for background whilst modelling etc.Very informative and such a diverse range of subjects covered in detail.If you want TV information on what is really happening ,then Aljazerra is your channel.

Myron YO13 Media info dept

Talking of "truth", I was in a research committee meeting yesterday where a PR bod who was making a presentation on "promoting research to the man in street" said something to the effect "Well we don't want stories going out just about science - I mean they'd be boring" - there were maybe 15 research scientists and engineers around the table! disgust

Heavens - lets not trouble ourselves with the facts - afterall that would be "boring"!

Thankfully said person was treated accordingly!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 17/01/2013 15:01:28:

Talking of "truth", I was in a research committee meeting yesterday where a PR bod who was making a presentation on "promoting research to the man in street" said something to the effect "Well we don't want stories going out just about science - I mean they'd be boring" - there were maybe 15 research scientists and engineers around the table! disgust

Heavens - lets not trouble ourselves with the facts - afterall that would be "boring"!

Thankfully said person was treated accordingly!

BEB

Unfortunately - he's right - however much it sticks in the throat.

I too listen to Radio 2 from morning to night apart from Jeremy Vine. The way he twists any story to sensationalise anything is awful, I know he's trying to provoke a response but he goes too far. For successful discussions most of the LBC programmes tread a careful line. No, at lunchtime I suffer adverts rather than listen to him.

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 17/01/2013 14:56:09:

Pete

Can't believe that intelligent people like yourself listen to anything other than Radio 4.I have it on all day for background whilst modelling etc.Very informative and such a diverse range of subjects covered in detail.If you want TV information on what is really happening ,then Aljazerra is your channel.

I have also found the delights of BBC iplayer for radio and was treated to Michael Palin reading a Biggles novel.

Plenty of good plays and dramas on there which I tend to listen to whilst in the shed.

Regards.

Sorry to disappoint you, Myron but I'm the ultimate male. I'm incapable of multi-tasking and that includes following a discussion diligently when I doing something elseteeth 2 I totally agree about Al-Jazeera, though - the never-ending reiteration on Sky and the Beeb gets desperately boring, so I'll often move to AJ to find out what else in happening in the world. In another life, I thought they were just a Middle East mouthpiece, but they can be surprisingly well-balancedthumbs up

I suspect JV was probably fairly well-educated but frequently exhibits semi-literate tendencies - probably in an effort to appear populist......surely the BBC wouldn't really employ anyone that thick?smile

I was compelled to email the programme once when I'd heard him say 'less' rather than 'fewer' once too often - didn't get a response, though. Couldn't really push the issue as I'm not a licence payer at present - but dashed ignorant all the same.......teeth 2 What chance do youngsters have of learning to 'speak proper, loike' when the so-called educated are incapable themselves......face 22

'Just gives his opinion, if you don't like it, don't listen to it is what I think.' That's the point, CS, he isn't there to give his opinion, just act as a catalyst for the interviewees. In that respect, I admit he's marginally better than Vanessa Feltz when she sat in for a week - she was so keen on hearing herself speak, the interviewees couldn't get a word in edgeways!teeth 2 Unfortunately, I think JV dumbs himself down just too far.....

I don't listen to it for JV - please give me some credit - but the interviewees can be delightlfully entertaining or really annoying, depending on your point of view - and some just put a bit of dust in the air......

Chris Evans is just irritating so early in the day, Ken Bruce is always entertaining, although I've never got more than 15 points in Popmaster(party). I used to enjoy Steve Wright but it's all much of a muchness now.

All part of the rich tapestry of life......

There, that's got a grump or two off my chest - I feel much better nowwink 2

Pete

Edited By Pete B on 17/01/2013 23:27:29

Ah Mr Vine, yes I'm another one who finds him annoying, sometimes I listen, often I turn off, I find it too frustrating to listen to. It isn't just him though, you have to question the produucers, the quality of some individuls they put on air is dreadful, if they are the pick of the bunch then no wonder the country is in trouble. Yesterday'a discussion about the lottery was a perfect example, loads of folks whinging and whining who clearly have not got the simple maths skills to understand how a lottery works.

As for his brother Tim Vine, the comedian and actor, he's one of the cleverest, quickest stand ups you'll ever see (IMHO)

Edited By avtur on 18/01/2013 08:30:39

Posted by Myron Beaumont on 17/01/2013 14:56:09:

Pete

Dear and respected Myron ,intelligent people always listening to this radio,because every time,they get their confirmation of their correct and great  mind...face 1

Regards

Joe

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 18/01/2013 09:00:10

Pete, It's a complete waste of time writing to the BBC to make a complaint or a comment. So many viewers/listeners have written to Points of View and to the Radio Times letters column remarking about the so called music that drowns out the words in plays, documentaries et al. A producer ocasionally deigns to grace Points of View with their presence but as he/she always knows best, the racket just continues. After all the licence payers, who pay the wages, really don't count.

I tend to listen to Radio 4 extra, because I enjoy the repeats of the Goon Show and Round the Horn, although I do like J.V up to a point. They do, I admit, tend to get people on who rattle my cage like that obnoxious twit Simon Ward who gets so agitated by any oppinion which contradicts his own. One day he'll have a heart attack live on air. It's done, I think to wind up the listeners and get them to phone in. Pete B as for less or fewer, I think it depends on the context of the sentence. My old English teacher always said that the yardstick is less cake fewer pieces.

Edited By Colin Ashman on 18/01/2013 11:54:57

Funnily enough I had Vine on two minutes ago and I'd just switched to Radio 4 cos I couldn't stand it. Today they are discussing 'do you know your central heating boiler' and of course have an expert on hand. Oh so that's a bleed valve? Oh, the radiator is cold, turn the thermostat up. I'd never have thought of that.

(I don't recommend it, but I even service my own boiler occasionally, take the burner out, clean it, etc. Fitted a new thermocouple (£4) whenthe boiler died last winter. A plumber would have charged a £100with the call out to do that, or tell me my 25 year old boiler needed replacing with a modern condenser boiler (that wouldn't last ten years.)

Radio for idiots.

Edited By Bob Moore on 18/01/2013 13:42:43

Just to prove my point earlier, on todays JV programe after an interesting item about the Algerian hostage situation they wheel on Angela Epstine a journalist who had a rant about school closures because of the snow. It was just an excercise in teacher bashing which appealed to the Daily Mail type listeners who just love to phone in. Here in the Gwent Gulag we've had a foot of snow, there's nothing moving on the roads. Drivers have listened to the emergency services and not made any non essential journeys and stayed at home, and she questions why schools have closed almost accusing teachers of taking the day off to spend in the pub. Calm down now Cols it doesn't do your blood pressure any good.