Fantasy Formula 1 (Fantasygp.com)

the unmagnificent man

BBC coverage should be finished by now, and the results are up on Badger, so here's how our league table looks after Austin, Texas;

Modelflying Forumites - Passcode: 428035

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Revers Racing Pete B 2346
2 Webby F1 Racing Team Simon Webb 2274
3 FalconFormulaOne Tony H 2102
4 Not just up but down as well johnpflyrc 2064
5 Manschaft Erfolg Carl Brotherton 2029
6 RichF1 richfr 2019
7 Roos Racers rk295 1893
8 iqon racing here to win iqon 1833
9 Wheels and Wings Martyn Kinder 1754
10 Gazs Eagles Gary Goodfellow 1750
11 pits specials pits specials 1712
12 Lost The Track David Gilder 1629
13 rActive GP Pat Harbord 1559
14 Norfolk Flyers nssrcmf 1550
15 Essex Racing Essex Racing 1541
16 IPJnet F1 Ian Jones 1488
17 GoneWesthall SteveT 1346
18 Concorde Racing Jacob Cleverley 1300
It's a bit late now, so you may have to wait until Monday evening for the "who done what" summary!

Advert

OK then... a quick summary. as usual full details are in google docs.

No change in the top 4 of our table, but three place-swaps lower down.

Top score today was 185 by Carl, moving him up to 5th.

Second was Pete with 184, leaving him at the head of the table.

Tony had our third-best score today with 153, leaving him 4th in the table.

My score of 152 was 4th today and also leaves me 4th in the table. 5th today was Martyn with 144. Martyn moves up a place to 9th. Sixth today was Simon with 133, remaining second in the table.

Essex Racing got our 7th score today with 130, remaining in 15th. Eighth today with 126 was David who stays 12th in the table. Ninth today with 122 was Iqon, remaining in 8th.

Pits Specials are our tenth scorer today with 120, remaining in 11th spot in the table. Equal tenth with the same score was Ian, still 16th in the table. 12th on the day was Pat with 114, the last of our upward-movers today, moving up to 13th.

13th today was Rich with 113, but dropping a position to 6th. 14th today was Jacob with 112, still at the foot of the table after his late start to the season. 15th today was Kev with 89, slipping a place to 14th in the table.

Our final scores today were Gary with 60, then Robin and Steve with 50 each. Gary slips a place to 10th, Robin remains 7th, and Steve stays 17th in the table.

Only a week until the next race in Mexico. The constructors and drivers championships may have been decided now, but all is still to play for in the Badger league!

Another weekend, another race. We're in Mexico, and although both the driver's and manufacturer's championships are decided, there are still places to be gained (or lost!) in our badger league.

So the customary reminder - Don't forget your predictions!

You've got a little while to think about them though, as qualifying and the race are both at 1pm local time, which by my reckoning is 7pm UK time. Don't leave it too late though.

It's a Sky weekend so I won't post any results here until after the BBC have shown the race.

As the BBC coverage should have finished by now, here is how our league looks tonight;

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Revers Racing Pete B 2406
2 Webby F1 Racing Team Simon Webb 2347
3 FalconFormulaOne Tony H 2212
4 Not just up but down as well johnpflyrc 2194
5 Manschaft Erfolg Carl Brotherton 2146
6 RichF1 richfr 2092
7 Roos Racers rk295 1961
8 iqon racing here to win iqon 1880
9 Gazs Eagles Gary Goodfellow 1843
10 Wheels and Wings Martyn Kinder 1790
11 pits specials pits specials 1775
12 Lost The Track David Gilder 1699
13 Norfolk Flyers nssrcmf 1634
14 rActive GP Pat Harbord 1627
15 IPJnet F1 Ian Jones 1627
16 Essex Racing Essex Racing 1624
17 GoneWesthall SteveT 1414
18 Concorde Racing Jacob Cleverley 1369

So, a low-scoring day in Badger. Highest score globally in Badger was only 168, and our league's top scorer today, Ian, scored the 30th best score (out of over 9000 entrants) in Badger.

No place changes in the top 8 of our league, but 3 place swaps in the remaining 10 places.

Ian, as already mentioned, was top scorer in our league today. He scored 139 and moves up a place in the league to 15th.

Second today was myself, with 130 points. I remain in 4th.

Third today with 117 points was Carl who remain a place behind me in 5th.

Fourth today with 110 was Tony. He remains one place ahead of me in 3rd. 93 points saw Gary in 5th place today, and moving up a place in the league to 9th. Sixth today was Kev with 84 points, the last of our upward-movers, going up to 13th in the league.

Seventh today was Essex Racing with 83 points, but slipping a place to 16th in the league. Simon and Rich shared 8th today with 73 points each, remaining 2nd and 6th respectively in the league.

Tenth today was David with 70 points, holding on to 12th place in the league. Eleventh was Jacob with 69 points, still at the foot of the table after a late start, but making up ground (slightly!) on Steve who shares a three-way tie for 12th place today with Robin and Pat - each scoring 68 points. Robin remains 7th, Pat slips to 14th and Steve stays 17th in the league.

Fifteenth today with 63 points are the Pits Specials, staying 11th in the league. Pete doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet, and indeed here he is with a score of 60! Still at the top of the league, but giving Simon - and possibly others - a chance to catch up! 17th today was Iqon with 47, remaining 8th. Finally Martyn scored 36 and slips a place to 10th.

Two races left, and can Pete be beaten? On today's form, YES! So Brazil in two weeks, and Abu Dhabi 2 weeks after that.

Pete

I am very surprised at the comment on team orders. Both drivers should respond to the teams orders, they pay the bills. Both drivers were brought in for a tyre change, it would seem to ensure that both could continue to the finish with a improved margin of safety, whilst maintaining their respective positions.

There has been some suggestions that one of the drivers has been allowed to be overly forceful, as an example in forcing another of the road, although it has been suggested that in private, that the act was said not to be acceptable (who knows).

There has also been suggestions in some foreign press, that one driver has been favoured, with a view of ensuring that the team championship and also that the team also had the champion driver title.

In my opinion there was no option but to be scrupulsly fair, if internal relationships between both sides of the garage were to remain tolerable and also that in some markets the reputation of the company could have been damaged.

Well, I certainly wouldn't want to be managing the situation in the Merc garage, Erf....smile

They were obviously keen to maximise Rosberg's points as Vettel was still in play at the time, so I can understand that. However, given their earlier iffy call in Monaco, I can also understand Hamilton's wish to make a race of it rather than being held back. If Hamilton felt happy with the state of his tyres, I trust his instinct rather more than what seemed to be a contrived 'safety' call when he showed signs of pressing on. The apparent reluctance to disclose the tyre data to him after the race raises an eyebrow, too.

As it turned out, the Vettel safety car would have closed them up and Rosberg would probably have jumped him on fresher tyres, so we'll never know whether the decision was right or wrong. I'm pretty sure, however, that it deprived the fans of a bit of wheel-to-wheel racing - but that's not important to F1, is it?face 22

Yes, Hammy was a bit forceful going into Turn 1 - but so would any other racer on that part of the track- it's no place for wimpssmile d

Anyway, I'm just a tad biased - perhaps you might be, too.....wink 2

Pete

The real issue with Mercedes is that they are so far ahead of every one else, that there is more than one eye to maximising the image in the various markets. It is apparent that Louis is far more marketable in the UK, than Rosberg, this is also true in some other markets.

I was perhaps not surprised tha tRed Bull make no pretence, that this is very much behind their support to F1. To the extent that the Australian market for their product, does have an influence on driver selection.

There s a very real anti German attitude to German drivers from Schumacher, Vettel and now Rosberg. All have been written of, as either favoured, no good without the right car, or just not up to it. In my opinion all three are outstanding drivers. There is a bias in the UK media towards UK drivers, which I do applaud, as to often what ever the sport, there is often efforts to be be more than even handed. Non of the home nations (certainly also true of other countries) other than England, has any problems in getting 120% behind their country. In that respect I am behind Louis, although unreasonable bias against some nations and their sports people, i feel is most unfortunate

With respect to the tyre situation, it was obvious that there had been agreemnt with respect to team tatics prior to the race.

Whilst spraying a model I have been pondering the motivation of the teams that compete in F1.

I was very disappointed to read about the various suggestions that Red Bull could cease to support the team, due to issues with regulations and engine suppliers.

My Mind then shifted to the 1954 Mercedes F1 racing, where the participation was initially intended to raise the profile of the company. Where perhaps to their surprise they were able to sweep all before them. Then a terrible sports car accident at Le Mans provided an exist route which provided a means of withdrawal with a product halo. At this time it was apparent the motor racing was about selling cars and generating the right group image.

By the 70s, in their home market, MB were increasingly seen as an old mans car. Still selling well, but the age profile of its customers was not good.

Of course as part of policy of changing image we saw them by Ilmor, badging the engines as a MB concept, until the engines started winning then becoming MB. The full extent to the design is questionable, although the what is developed and supplied to whom is a MB commercial decision.

On that basis I have pondered, would they back out of F1 if they lost their total domination of F1?

Then you start thinking about Renault and Honda.

The more you think, the more you become aware how much of the presence in F1 is determined by commercial issues for many of the present Motor brand competitors.

It is not long before you then realise that teams that compete, because that is what they do, are in a similar position. So many of their decisions are made for commercial reasons, with respect to sponsors and their sponsors marketing needs and wants.

Which did make think, is F1 really another area of politics, rather than of pure sport?

Posted by Erfolg on 05/11/2015 14:13:32:

By the 70s, in their home market, MB were increasingly seen as an old mans car. Still selling well, but the age profile of its customers was not good.

In the 70's MB was selected as the German Taxi manufacturer. Millions of Beige smoky monsters. Few wanted to be associated with them for that reason.

M

Patriotism aside Lewis is a WINNER Nico's folded under pressure repeatedly, if Vettel was his team mate he would dominate him as well, if Vettel was Lewis's team mate he would'nt let him bully him during races. Both titles are decided, off course they gave Nico the win, that should embarrass Nico, the fact it doesn't says everything.

John

John

The very same accusations of folding under pressure can be made at Lewis, in 2007 I think it was when beached his car, when the World Championship beckoned. There have been many questions of judgement, many controversial moves and actions.

Yet on reflection this is true of all the drivers.

I would not right Rosberg of yet, particularly when until joining Mercedes, Lewis appeared to be a loser.

Looking at all the drivers, you do realise that some luck is required, Alonso is a case in point. A very good driver, who many thought would win more often. The same is true of Jenson,.

Perhaps Vettel is the surprising driver for me. When treated equally manages to get more out of his car, consistently than i anticipated. When i did my driver selection, I wrote him off straight away. Yet on watching his achievements I am beginning to believe.

I am hoping that there is a closer power equivalence next year, so that the championship of both car and driver are pretty obvious before the second race is completed.

You would have to admit that although Rosberg has been well outdriven by Hamilton he (Nico) still behaved like a gentleman. It must be painful to have had the money, the best contacts and best start in racing then eventually get in the top team in the years they dominate then be joined by a friend -a newcomer to the team- and be beaten to the championship 2 years running!

Let's hope we have yet another English World Champion this weekend........watch Moto3 on Sunday

• 2 weeks later...

And so, for the penultimate time this year, the customary reminder;

Don't forget your predictions!

The F1 drivers and constructors championships may have been decided, but there are still places to be gained (and lost!) in our Badger mini-league. Is Pete feeling vulnerable in top-spot with Simon less than 60 points behind? You bet! Will we see some place changes with 10 points covering 13th to 16th. I reckon so!

So get your predictions in now - you can always change them later as long as you do so before qualifying starts at 4pm. The race on Sunday is at the same time. Coverage is live on BBC and Sky.

Posted by John Privett on 13/11/2015 23:50:52:. Is Pete feeling vulnerable in top-spot with Simon less than 60 points behind?

Very much so, Johnsmile o Just not sure which way to play it today - do I go for the result I want or follow current form??????

Final decision after P3, I think...

Pete

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 14/11/2015 11:34:05:

Just not sure which way to play it today - do I go for the result I want or follow current form??????

Now, it there's one thing I learnt about this game quite early on, it's to play according to what you think is going to happen, not what you hope will happen.

But then who am I, in 4th place, to be advising the guy in top-spot on tactics? teeth 2

OK folks, the results are up on badger at last... So here's how our league looks tonight;

Pos Team Manager Pts
1 Revers Racing Pete B 2513
2 Webby F1 Racing Team Simon Webb 2455
3 FalconFormulaOne Tony H 2353
4 Not just up but down as well johnpflyrc 2321
5 Manschaft Erfolg Carl Brotherton 2264
6 RichF1 richfr 2207
7 Roos Racers rk295 2056
8 iqon racing here to win iqon 1988
9 Gazs Eagles Gary Goodfellow 1923
10 pits specials pits specials 1902
11 Wheels and Wings Martyn Kinder 1891
12 Essex Racing Essex Racing 1811
13 IPJnet F1 Ian Jones 1803
14 Lost The Track David Gilder 1781
15 Norfolk Flyers nssrcmf 1747
16 rActive GP Pat Harbord 1705
17 GoneWesthall SteveT 1486
18 Concorde Racing Jacob Cleverley 1454
I'll be back shortly with a brief summary.

Top scorer today is Essex Racing with 187 points - the 12th best score in the whole of the Badger league today, and a FOUR place gain in our table to 12th.

Second today was Ian with 176 and a TWO place gain to 13th.

Third today was Tony, 141 points, remains 3rd in our league too.

4th today is shared between the Pits Specials and myself with 127 points each. The Pits move up a place to 10th, I remain 4th in the league. 6th today is Carl with 118, remaining in 5th.

7th today is Rich with 115, staying 6th in the league. 8th is Kev with 113 points, but slipping 2 places in the league to 15th. 9th today with 108 points each is shared by iqon , remaining 8th in the league, and Simon who remains second.

11th today is Pete with 107. Pete remains top of the league with a margin reduced by one point! Martyn is 12th today with 101 points and slips a place to 11th. 13th today is Robin with 95, remaining in 7th. 14th was Jacob with 85, still at the foot of the table but now only 32 points behind 17th place.

Final places today are taken by David, 82 points, slipping to 14th. Then Gary, 80 points, holding 9th. Then Pat, 78 points, slipping to 16th. And then Steve, 72 points remaining in 17th.

All the details are on google docs.

The last race of the season is in two weeks time at Abu Dhabi.

• 2 weeks later...

For the final time this year - the customary reminder;

Don't forget your predictions!

It's been swings and roundabouts in Abu Dhabi with Lewis fastest in P1, and Nico fastest in P2. Qualifying starts at 1pm UK-time tomorrow, with the race at the same time on Sunday. It's a BBC weekend, so I don't need to delay posting the table after it's been published on Badger. but as Badger have an event in London to show the race I guess the site won't be updated until after that finishes!

In our league Pete has a 58 point lead at the top. Is that enough? In second Simon is 102 points ahead of third place - will he be tempted to go for a possibly risky strategy to try and beat Pete? I can see several place changes possible mid-table, where gaps of 20 points or less can be found.

(to be continued...)

Edited By John Privett on 27/11/2015 23:45:57

Here's the table with an extra column showing those gaps.

TEAM

Manager

Total Points

next place

Revers Racing

Pete B

Webby F1 Racing Team

Simon Webb

FalconFormulaOne

Tony H

Not just up but down as well

johnpflyrc