Peter Miller asks what next?

This is a promotional video for the full sized Lockspeiser LDA-01, for those that are interested (you may need to run the video back to the beginning). A fascinating 70% concept, a 'Land Rover of the Air', which sadly failed to achieve enough support to take it further. The prototype was tragically destroyed in the 1987 hanger fire at Old Sarum (arson) along with John Edgley's Optica production plant. 

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 27/01/2020 10:41:55

• 1 month later...
Advert

THat looks a veryb pretty model and very suitable. I willadd to my list of potential models.

At the moment I am doodling an idea inspired by a comment that many of my models look rather similar!!!

The sec is "Must be aerobatic,must be relatively simple to build. MUST look very different"

Aready got some doodle that look possible. Not pretty but different.

Posted by paul d on 08/03/2020 18:45:16:

Peter, with all due respect your "designs" do tend to all be variations on a theme. How many mid wing monoplanes with a Set back cockpit does the modelling world need?

No offence etc......

I understand where you are coming from, but........

We all like our favorite type of models, but at the end of the day it is a question of which plans help sell magazines.

The latest small jets series is a good example. All basically the same concept but slightly different. They have currently caught the imagination of model aeroplane builders.

Over the years (lots of them) Pete has designed many different models, but I wouldn't mind betting that most of his plans that have been built from by magazine readers are brightly coloured sports models.

Also I shouldn't think the remaining magazine publishers are inundated with aspiring model designers either and the existing ones seem to be reducing in numbers fast.

I agree with your sentiment, so how about getting stuck into a model design for the new (ish) editor ?

There you go. Gauntlet thrown down. If you produce one I will.

I have been designing models for along time. I have worked with Kevin at RC Modelworld so we know each other from there.

After Paul D's post above. I thought about it and think that I willprobab;y desing a scale model but not sure what.

These days I find that ong term, complicated projects just don't fil me with as much excitement as they used to.

So...don't hold your breaths. I have to find something that really gets my juices flowing but will not take ages to do.

Patience friends please.

Agreed with Ray, do what you fancy.

So far I've done your Harlequin, Ballerina and Tiger Cub (modified a bit but not flown yet). All very different models.

I really like your Fletcher Defender (an interesting scale model), only thing that holds me back is lack of a canopy .... and lack of ability to make a decent copy. I don't suppose you'd like to do a slightly bigger version that could go to Sarik, with a canopy?

Having read along with this thread, it seems that your ideas are not the problem here Peter but rather the ability to peak your interest enough to commit to the effort required. Perhaps then there is an opportunity here to identify someone (may I say younger without causing offense?) from this thread that is interested in getting into model design that could work with you to do all of the leg-work of getting your ideas on to paper and into the air. You could then act as director and mentor showing how to get the design from brain to drawing board to building board and into the air. While face to face is obviously the best, given all of the communication options available to us these days this could just as easily be done remotely.

RCM&E is always calling for ideas for new articles and so perhaps his could be a good follow on to your previous design article.

I know Lindsey Todd's articles on Renaissance covered a similar topic but - and no disrespect to Lindsey if he is reading - this was from the point of view of someone who has designed plenty of models and so some of the interesting parts, such as material sizing, were not really explained in much detail.

Anyway its just my opinion and worth any more than anybody else's, but it would be interesting to hear the process from both the new designer and the mentor's point of view for the same design activity.

I really do love designing models but I am getting a little lazy in old age and it has to be soethingthat really excites me. If I can't imagine flying it in the early stages it must lack something.

On file with Kevin Crozier I have my STampe SR-7 which shouldplease a lot of people. Also my MAK15 MP which is an interesting model and which does fly well but is not too easy to build.

stampe sr-7 3.jpg

blog4.jpg

And MIss Sizzle will be ready to send in soon.

miss sizzle static 027.jpg

But I woke up this morning with an idea. Not sure yet if I will do it but it should please a lot of people. As soon as I am sure I will put it up here.

To give a hint to those who have been building and reading Radio Modeller long ago,it will be a version of one of my "Lesser Known Aircraft from Aeronuttical History"

I wonder how many of you remember any of those!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 09/03/2020 08:42:24

Nigel.

There were a few more. American Dragon is the one that I am thinking of. Now that should appeal to a few people!!

Sorry Ron. They do not apeals to me.

I did briefly toy with the idea of a Gloster Javelin but I do not have the experience with deltas or ducted fans.

But it would allow me to wear my new fleece with the embroidered 41 Squadron badge on itlaugh

Maybe Tony N will do that one!!

I would probably build that myself!!

Posted by Peter Miller on 09/03/2020 08:41:13:

I really do love designing models but I am getting a little lazy in old age and it has to be soethingthat really excites me. If I can't imagine flying it in the early stages it must lack something.

On file with Kevin Crozier I have my STampe SR-7 which shouldplease a lot of people. Also my MAK15 MP which is an interesting model and which does fly well but is not too easy to build.

stampe sr-7 3.jpg

blog4.jpg

And MIss Sizzle will be ready to send in soon.

miss sizzle static 027.jpg

But I woke up this morning with an idea. Not sure yet if I will do it but it should please a lot of people. As soon as I am sure I will put it up here.

To give a hint to those who have been building and reading Radio Modeller long ago,it will be a version of one of my "Lesser Known Aircraft from Aeronuttical History"

I wonder how many of you remember any of those!!

Edited By Peter Miller on 09/03/2020 08:42:24

that stampe looks brilliant pete!, but are all your models going to be electric only ? I would like to put a 4 stroke on that one.

regards

Daniel

Posted by Daniel Cardona on 09/03/2020 10:31:41:

that stampe looks brilliant pete!, but are all your models going to be electric only ? I would like to put a 4 stroke on that one.

regards

Daniel

Hi Daniel

Some years ago I designed a Miles Magister and a Druine Turbulent for i.c. engines,about 40s. These were designed for someone planning on producing kits.

I have now been told that they may be coming to RCM&E in the future so you will eventually bget your wish