Peter Miller asks what next?

Advert

Hi Peter, as you are in my age bracket you may remember a model that was out in the 70's called a Moonshiner bipe.

It was a neat looking model with foam wings the kit at the time was about £20. I bought one off a fellow club member for a fiver and had some good flying with it till it eventually bit the dust, the wings were ok so I drew up a Hawker Hind semi scale model and used the modified wings. I have often thought it would be a good model to resurrect but my memory is a bit cloudy now. Do's anyone have a picture of it?

Eric r. (not panic buying loo rolls as the perforations make them useless for covering wings.)

Hi Eric.

The name rings a bell. but I was only just getting into radio then.

Your comment about loo rolls brings a memory to mind.

When I was in the RAF at St Mawgan in the 50s,late 50s thatis we did some control line flying. Now we didn't have a lot of money then so anything that might save money was tried out.

This chap turned up with a combat type model which he had covered with toilet paper (RAF issue) These were pretty small sheets in a hard glossy paper with "Government issue" on every sheetin green letters.

He had covered it with the paper at different angles and then doped it.

The first landing and it shattered everywhere.

Never forgotten that.

Imust post the story on the other thread.

MagisterHi Peter, I had a few of my own designs on Chris Golds Light fantastic, all scale and semi scale models I never had plans published as only I, could work from them. I would scale the outline then work it out as I went along. Most worked very well. When leccy flight was how light can I make it I drew up a Maggie ,the Axi motors were just coming out and I used a 2820/10 with 8 cells it was all built up, even stringered the rear fuz. It flew very well but one day landed short of the strip and the battery exited through the side of the fuz.. I rebuilt it and it is still good though now it has a Duncan Hutson Cowl as the original which was carved at the front with lithoplate sides was destroyed in the crash. I scaled the tailplane wrong it is over size but it works ok.

I think I get it from my mother, She was a tailor and women would bring a picture from a magazine and ask if she could make a dress or coat like the one in the picture. She would measure them and then proceed to make paper patterns which she laid over a tailors dummy. A lot of my clothes when I was at school were made from off cuts, during the war people would bring clothes which they had grown out of and she would make something with them.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after spending days looking through my collection of hundreds of 3-views I have gfinally chosenmy next project...just in time for lockdown.

It is an aircraft that has been on my list for a very long time but now it just clicked with my mood.

It is the Pilatus P-2

You can see it in my album P-2 Not put up hereas they are copyright

The QED replica has some additional points in its favour

I understand slightly bigger wing and wider UC.

I have considered having a go myself. Each time I have thought, this is a PM type scale model. I would build the prototype if asked or offered.

Posted by Peter Miller on 24/03/2020 21:03:25:

I design what I like. I have occasionally designed things that other people have pushed me into. I never like those.

Tailwind wink.

And although i have not built it, it is on my to do list, Don`t tell me you don`t like it pushed or not it is a Nice subject.

Steve.

Yes, I was pushed into it. IT just was not a type that I liked. I later did a Wittman Formula V racer and that was very nice.

It flew quite well but was hampered by a faulty engine which was later replace by J.Perkins. The ONLY SC engine that ever gave trouble. I was told that the head was incorrectly machined.

Apart from that it was fine but it just wasn't what I wanted to do.

The other one was the Midget Mustang. I wanted to increase the wing area over scale a bit bit was told not to. To me it lacked something and just did not fly with the same ease of my other designs. The wing loading was just a fraction too high.

Other people who prefer higher wing loading liked it.

Peter,

Interesting choice of the Pilatus P-2 and looking forward to following the design and build log (assuming you will do one).

Did a quick search of the web for details and I think it will be a nice model to fly with a wide flight envelope and your designers touch wink

What size (wingspan) and motive power plant are you considering for this one?

Hi Chris

It will be 1/8th scale 54" span, about 3 sq. feet of area and powered with my standard electrical set up

Two reason for the power choice, I will take it out of my converted Ballerina and this will save me some money.

Second, with that long nose an engine up front might need lead in the tail. But I will be kind and draw a power conversion nose.

Yes, I will do a blog on it.

Posted by Erfolg on 24/03/2020 19:38:03:

The QED replica has some additional points in its favour

I understand slightly bigger wing and wider UC.

I have considered having a go myself. Each time I have thought, this is a PM type scale model. I would build the prototype if asked or offered.

They say that beauty is in the eye of the beholder but that is one of the most ugliest aeroplanes Erfolg! face 7. I think the only thing that will appeal to Peter is the red/white colour scheme, also used on his Ballerina, Miss Lizzy, and Moon Dancer 2 (amongst others).