How old are we?

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/04/2013 00:15:46:

To have registered 1% out of 900+ votes there must be at least 5 of you I would assume CSB.

BEB

The reading does not do decimals, so I assume if there was just one vote it would read 1% but I am not sure.

I'm not really surprised by the drop in lower ages, the computer game has taken hold of that age group. But about these triggers, I think I have two of the answers that explains why the youth of today are not as inspired by aeroplanes as the youth of before, besides electronic equipment.

Firstly, the simple fact that Britain does not make aeroplanes any more. While before there were Vulcans and other V bombers, Lightnings and and Harriers and many many more flying above peoples heads which were incredibly futuristic exciting and British, so they inspired the young people of those times, now we pretty much aren't making any aircraft, and many of the ones we did are not flying. I wouldn't be surprised if you ran a poll in the USA where they are making aircraft if the younger segments were much more populated.

Secondly, and perhaps oddly at first, is airshows. Not model ones, full size. The reason being is that I can almost guarantee that most people will say airshows were better and more exciting 20-30-40 years ago than today. Because before, there were jets whisking near the sound barrier just in front of you, pilots pushing the aircraft hard (youtube some of the RAF Vulcan displays) and faster, closer displays. Now you could make the point that this is more dangerous, but it was much more exciting. These days I have noticed that young people get bored at airshows, and don't find it inspiring, and therefore do not get interested in aviation (if they even go there anyway).

I think these are two of the factors. One other thing that slightly annoyed me was this, which although is a good thing, just outside where Clegg is standing they are ripping up a runway of the now closed Filton airfield. Hmmm, Jewel in our crown you say.

CS

Advert

I belong to two clubs, each with over a hundred members, so the number of people taking part in the hobby still appears to be OK. Naturally, the majority of those members are over 40 as is shown by the pole taken here......quite frankly it's not a problem if the hobby is grey or greying, so long as we continue to get new flyers regardless of age! Yes, it would be nice to see more younger people taking up the hobby, but can you wonder at their reluctance when what we have to offer really doesn't compare favourably with the comfort of a Play Station or Xbox in a warm bedroom? I wonder how many of us would be where we are today if we had the technological distractions of 2013 in 1963? Don't get me wrong, I use modern technology where I feel I benefit from it, and forty years in industry has meant that I've needed to keep abreast of many new developments, but can we honestly be surprised at many youngster's lack of interest in aeromodelling, given the commitment that it requires versus the world of gaming?

Sorry, guys .. a 63 years young calling.

Airfix kits. Dad built an 0-4-0 tank to improve the Hornby Dublo set and I got a Deltic kit for Christmas. A disappointingly petite HMS Cossack put paid to navy aspirations, then at the age of 12 discovered a model shop on the walk from school to the bus stop in New milton and another 1/4 mile from home. Built a balsa MTB and thence spent all my two bobs on Airfix 1/72 plastic bagged aviation. Or 3 bob for a Mosquito or an Me110 in a box. Half ounce pots of Humbrol paint were 9d. I didn't like jets although In desperation I did once buy a S.R.53.

Sadly an uncle gave me a BSA No1 .177 air rifle and great destruction and pyres resulted. Aeromodeller presented new challenges and Dave and I set about building a Debutante on Mum's living room table, making it necessary to visit Austin's Model Shop on most Saturdays. First flyer was a Mercury Matador.No die cut parts, just printed on sheet balsa. Optimistically launched it on Cowards Marsh into a stiff head wind. Performed most of a gigantic loop. Still have the very noisy AM15 bolted to a block of wood in my workshop cupboard. Lost of little diesels, Babe Bees, a TeeDee010, a green Taplin Twin and a Super Cyclone spark job. Made own fuel ( funny look from Chemist when 15 year old asks for Amyl Nitrate). Went to Teleradio in Edmonton to look at a Digitrio kit, but opted to get a Galloping Ghost from Derek Olley ( he picked me up from the station in his Imp) Never quite figured out how to make the servo .. still have it all somewhere ..

The local club has a reduced membership fee for youngsters but the club night is on a school night and in the back room of The Walkford Hotel (a pub). I went to a couple of meetings a year ago and I was the third youngest present. There are authorised flying sites 4, 7 and 14 miles from where I live as well as Beaulieu where the Forestry Comission (I hear) want another fiver year to fly there. At least I could be legal with that unsilencedTeeDee 010 there (0,16 of a cc ). Proof of insurance required. All other sites are electric only.

So a combination of criminally expensive plastic kits, No Sleek Streaks anymore, grotty little houses where lads are scared to make a mess with balsa shavings, glue and dust, lack of handy model shops and accessable places where it is legal to fly means that our hobby is being throttled.

Is there a public park anywhere in UK where you can fly legally without fear of litigation in the manner of the US Parkflyers ?

( Just look at the brilliant aero stuff that kids can make from foamboard with instructions from Ed O'Bierne at ExperimentalAirlines.com .. More than 100 videos now) .

My man from the Pru told me I would be insured under my household policy, so I hope that applies to the guys whose first faltering footsteps in this hobby are by way of Maplins.

I believe there are boroughs where flying model aircraft does happen, by clubs, and there are also many parks where model flying is not specifically prohibited, although the council probably reserves the right to specifically prevent any activity which is deemed unacceptable.

Antidotally, I do believe there is a reduction in the numbers of RC modellers, from the 1970's, where it was usually to have joining fees, in addition to club membership. Now many of the same clubs welcome any new member without a fee.

I know BEB has highlighted the differences in data, from the previous survey. To my mind they are identical. Another set of data is required from the future, although I am in no hurry to get there. So much better, to use data from the past, and then slow down time.smiley

A year older today,I have done no modelling just watched the snow flakes from early this morning.

Had a good card from my twin brother and his family:

002 birthday card.jpg

(Quentin Blake-Woodmansterne Publications Ltd)

I can't think why they chose it?

MJE

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 04/04/2013 21:36:21

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 04/04/2013 21:36:58

I'm sure it's been said before but I'm not going to read back through all the posts. But I think the nature of our hobby means that there's a natural break between 20 and 40 when finances and family limit our options. I'm a returning flyer but I also used to play golf which sees a similar demographic (except they have to stop again younger), however my golf clubs are moulding in the garage while the acro wot hangs in the dining room, as right now (with a couple of ankle biters) I can get away with a couple of spontaneous hours down the field but not a pre planned half day on the course.

Right now I'm thoroughly looking forward to the next 50 years enjoying flying model planes!

Steve (36)

If you worry where aeromodellers of the future will come from, Steves and many others observation, that a fair number (50%?) of present modellers are returnees, bodes ill. The reason, there are very few younger people modelling, to take that mid life sabbatical.

To be honest, i am not concerned, what will be will be.

I started at school, but then had to pack in when I was in the army. When I left that, with a new family and a career to pursue, there was never time - or funds - to continue. Now that I am nearing (late) retirement, I am starting out anew. Due to my wife's aversion to the smell of dope and fuel, I am giving a go at a paper RC Corsair. It should be very interesting.

Ron

Well I was into aeromodelling big time when I was 16-18, then I got married and we had children, that saw a decline, then I had a mid-life crisis and started again at age 50, then stopped again because of work pressures, now at 58 I'm back again into full-time aero modelling with too many models to realistically fly in a week, so for me it has been in-phases and surveys like this don't catch this.

All that said, my current general impression is most folk who fly around me are about the same age as depicted in the response demograph here...

Stuck my vote in at 31-40 but can't stick a vote in for my son who is just starting out at 8 years old. Have to say I have been out of the hobby since my boys were born & now getting back into it with a added "help" of young pester power. His has his hanger planned out for the next 5 models, 2 of mine though!

Edited By Steve_Wright on 10/04/2013 09:46:24

In answer to Myron, I'm 82 and been modelling since I was 10. Solid jobs and flyable ones (Rubber powered.)., I think they were 9 old pennies and 13 old pennies each..Then later on I remember one was a clip together aluminium Job. Covered it in tissue. Expect many of the older youngsters will remember it. Think Frog made it. You could get ready to fly ones made of wood and a sort of oiled silk, had one for Christmas when I was little and I still have a Frog fighter made of aluminium and card still usable in its box. So after all that, I can say I have been modelling 72 years.

Old John B. Seems we had the best of it. My first effort was a plane drawn on paper, cut out and glued with flour and water paste. My mother told me some time afterwards that I was 5 at the time. That was 80 years ago. The "model" quickly took on the nature of a brick shortly after being launched (thrown), but I still remember that brief thrill before it hit the deck. From there, much as John B experienced, a Megow Fairchild 24, a lightweight brick, window gazing at oiled silk covered ARFs, although framed with thin wire outlines, imported from Japan. Yes, Frog made some great ARFs. Do you remember that Hawker Demon or whatever one it was of that family? On Sunday mornings modellers would gather on Blythe Hill in South London and I would be there as a 10 year old, drooling. The first really scratch built I made was from a Tubby II plan from the pages of the Aeromodeller in 1942 or '43. I cycled from Melksham to Bath and managed to gadge a sheet of 1/16" balsa from the model shop there to make it. I had to show that was the model I wanted to build and he checked with the relevant issue in the back room. I couldn't get home quick enough.

Later I worked in the Aeromodeller Group under D A Russell making solid exibition models for the then current aircraft manufacturers with the DAGRA company. ( D A Russell-GRAce Russell) When they went to Eaton Bray I joined the RAF, then Airlines, then marriage, but modelling all the time, even for The Danbury Mint here in the USA.

For me it was a passion started in those air-minded '30s and has lasted all my life. Can't complain. Never wanted to be a full-size plane pilot; one of my sons has taken that on. And I get to fly with him now and then.Great Taxi! I much prefer to watch my models fly.

So, John B, take that Old away. As someone mentioned above, our covering has just wrinkled a bit. Underneath we are much younger than we look. Some joints need regluing that's all.

I am sixty one this week and used to be young , my brother and I grew up flying plastic models weighted with plastercine on string, making biplanes from stripped bamboo and shoe box tissue and to putting a noose around a Cicarda 's neck and allowing them to fly control line style and race them. I have always mucked with flying gliders RC and have learnt many ways to resurrect them after crashing, but didn't learn so much about not crashing???? , money and time have been my moderator and I have not modeled for twenty years but have read books and magazines and dreamed. Recentley I have started reading forums " good old Internet" which has grown my interest and I have prepared myself for the jump back to modeling. I am amazed that the building skills are being lost with the advent of ready to fly planes and see many potential modelers lose interest after their first crash, models too far advanced for them and too intricate to attempt to fix. Much can be learnt from a wing on a stick. Hopefully some old ideas can be rebourn and help the new crashee to try and fix his craft, more over help prevent the crash.

I am 69 this nov.i hav'nt done much flying this last year or so due to leaving a club i was'nt very happy with .but i spend more time building than flying I will fly as soon as i can ..As a kid i remember a model shop that had all manner of models dangeling from the ceiline and i used to buy a balsa glider and fly at my local park .I recall putting a little rocket motor on it one of thoes things you put a solid fuel cap in and ignited via a fuse poking out the thrust hole . 9 times out of 10 it did nothing exsept burn my fingrs .but it was fun.I can't remember anything with a prop and motor that was for the rich .that was back in the early 50s . I have always found modeling a great thing to get you'r mind off other things you don't want to think about .I seem to spend more time in my work shop than in the house certainlly my young son (who's 23) says he likes to come to the work shop becouse it has an atmophere and smells all shedy !

face 9

Edited By Bernie on 14/04/2013 11:13:51

I seem to remember a Hawker Hunter plan in the Eagle Annual which could have a Jetex motor or be a glider.

Whatever our memories what this thread proves is that if this forum is typical then nobody is going to invest much in modelling business for a long term investment unless there is much more interest from youngsters quite soon! The BMFA had better think about downsizing it's operations too if they dont get more younger members...........unless the NHS enables us to live for ever!

Posted by kc on 14/04/2013 19:10:06:

Whatever our memories what this thread proves is that if this forum is typical then nobody is going to invest much in modelling business for a long term investment unless there is much more interest from youngsters quite soon! The BMFA had better think about downsizing it's operations too if they dont get more younger members...........unless the NHS enables us to live for ever!

Really don't agree with the youngsters point. Aeromodelling has changed and is now very attractive to thirty or forty somethings who have got bored with computer games etc. Some teenagers will become involved if the bug bites, but lets encourage any and everyone who might show an interest regardlesss of age. Kids won't find playing with a simple chuck glider or sleek streak as we used to, very exiting, when the shops and internet are full of tasty ARTF warbirds etc.... the only problem is money and the lack of expertise to put it all together..