AW FK10 Quadruplane at 1/4 scale (80

Tim Hooper

Advert

This is definitely a monster project and it is looking fantastic. I would not have the patience for 8 sets of wings. Soon be getting to the fun bit, putting it all together and fitting it out.

I would love to build a biplane at some point but the work load keeps putting me off but that’s another story. Much respect for both building this and putting the blog together, which I know can take up nearly as much time. I do enjoy reading them.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Nev! It's always good to get a positive response.

Steve,the hinges are simply epoxied into slots cut into the airframe. The 'proper' way is certainly to pin the hinges in position as well, but as this model is designed to fly very sedately I deemed pinning unnecessary. I hope I'm right.....wink 2

Still with the wings, I decided to have a bash at the roundels next.

The simplest choice would have been to use commercial sticky-backed graphics, or to cut my own circles from Solartex and iron them into position. However, given that the full-sized roundels were often hand painted I decided to follow suit. Well, sort of...

In the end I cut 210mm discs from white Solartex, and ironed them onto the wings, then used a compass to mark the 'rings' on top. Then it was a matter of breaking out the Spectra enamels and paintbrushes. I used a fine long-haired brush to work the outlines, then a wider brush to fill in the voids.

Three coats for the red, and two for the blue to achieve opacity.

tim

935149_10152865402592137_794586356_n.jpg

First coat on.

1779701_10152865402852137_365408215_n.jpg

Ian,

I can always lend you a few panels......wink 2

I've put the panels for the left hand cell back in tot he ladder jig so I can finally fettle the flying and landing wires. I wasn't really happy with the way I'd arranged to have them fasten to the airframe at both ends. Then I saw these heavy duty 3mm clevises from SLEC, so I'm going to make a few alterations to suit.

tim

1794510_10152875000972137_1816928104_n.jpg

Here's a bit of a catch up of some of the weeks fiddling and fettling....

The ailerons have been fitted with their little linkage plates which pass through them just forwards of the trailing edge. The plates are cut from glass fibre circuit board, drilled, epoxied in place, and then painted black.

This shot shows the single hinge pin which passes through all three hinges on each aileron.

img_5206.jpg

I've re-assembled the wing cells now - hopefully for the final time!

img_5207.jpg

Here's the close up of the top of the flying wire. The 200lb wire links (double crimps) to a brass turnbuckle, then to the SLEC clevis, then to an aluminium bracket, which is bolted to the top of the outer interplane strut.

img_5211.jpg

The bottom of the wire is pretty similar, except for the omission of the turnbuckle. The lower of the two bolts will engage with the blindnut that's embedded in the fuselage side.

img_5212.jpg

Posted by Tim Hooper on 26/02/2014 17:38:08:

I need to replicate the rigging on the other cell, then hook up the ailerons before fitting the wing tip skids.

Done, done and done...........

This morning I made up the aileron interlinks.

1962681_10152895867287137_397001646_n.jpg

1779137_10152895867047137_1049975968_n.jpg

Then it was a matter of hooking them up and aligning them. Plugged in the radio.

I've dialled in 2:1 differential, so the upgoing aileron moves twice as much as the down-going aileron.

img_5227.jpg

Not to mention the tip skids.

img_5228.jpg

Then the two wing cells were plugged together.

img_5225.jpg

Right, time to start again on the fuselage!

tim