AW FK10 Quadruplane at 1/4 scale (80

Tim Hooper

Advert

Thanks guys!

Although I made up the support structure for the all-flying tail some time ago, I've had a re-think and made some modifications.

Firstly, the standard 3mm clevises have been ousted in favour of some more of those super heavy-duty items from SLEC. Not cheap at just over £3 each (and there are 6 of them), but a substantial improvement structurally .

I've also cross-braced the lower support frame to prevent it from flexing.

img_5229.jpg

img_5230.jpg

You'll also notice the glassfibre elevator horns are epoxied in place. The elevators are wiggled via modified snakes; there's a full length Bowden cable running through the inner snake, with soldered connectors at both ends. This is prevent trim changes caused by variations in the weather causing the snake to expand and contract..

img_5232.jpg

Moving forwards, I've been sorting out the power supply for the radio. It's very similar to the set-up I use on the BUSA Nieuport, in that I'm having two power sources;

The 10S flight pack runs 42v through to a UBEC which turns it into 6v.

A back-up 3S pack which runs 12.6v to another UBEC.

Both UBECs supply a backer unit which feeds from both UBECs normally. However if one supply fails then the other takes on the full load. This means that I shouldn't lose radio power - even if one of the cell packs bites the dust whilst in flight.

The new refinement is this Turnigy unit, which separates the receiver from the servos, so that the power used by the servos does not travel through the receiver.

Does it work? Dunno yet.......surprise

img_5233.jpg

Edited By Tim Hooper on 08/03/2014 19:27:37

Hi Mr Tim

what you needed there sir were some nice 3mm threaded clevises, in left and right handed pairs, no where would one be able to purchase such an item i hear you ask!! well perhaps not but any hoo,

CJ Enterprises, custom made parts for toy aeroplanes

mr ps 290.jpg

not the best pic sorry, top one is 2mm thread and t other is 3mm, as i say in pairs if required with threaded rod and locknuts supplied for flat wire rigging, or with threaded solder extenders for wire again in left or right with locknuts.

and just to end a few items from my extensive catalogue !!!

first a 1/3 scale working joystick for a Pup/Triplane

control2.jpg

next a pulsator at 1/3 scale

pulsator3rd.jpg

and a complete joystick, rudder assy all working in all axis

sam_0940.jpg

chris

I'm at the stage of doing all the minor, but incredibly time-consuming, little jobs that need to be done before I can even think about covering the fuselage.

Anyway attention has turned to the motor box. Using a 7/8" bit, I've cross-drilled the battery box to let some air flow around the cell-packs. All well and good, but there's no obvious way for the air to get out of the cowl, except through the lower quadrant (below the battery box).

So, I've contrived to make an airway through thelower cowl and into the fuselage itself (where the air can escape through the cockpit openings).

Beneath the nose I've added a fairing from 1/32 ply, which features holes to allow the front rigging for the u/c to pass through.

You can also see the ends of the brass/steel rigging plate that will hook up with drag wires from the wing tips - essential to stop the wings from folding backwards in flight!

Not only that, but I've sheeted the belly with 1/8 sheet.

1622839_10152919998412137_757517954_n.jpg

1016842_10152919997982137_165708984_n.jpg

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/03/2014 23:01:33:

. Just the sight of that "bank of ailerons" puts the frighteners on me!

BEB

Thanks Gents! All your comments are truly appreciated! teeth 2

BEB, it all looks a bit intimidating, doesn't it? Just to ease myself into the correct mindset, last weekend I took my little 45" (Peter Rake) Tripehound to the field and had several flights. Just to prove to myself that these over-winged monsters actually fly!

And fly it does! Yes, it's a tad sensitive to ailerons - that's what expo is for, yes? More un-nerving is its tendency to almost come to a dead halt in the air when full aileron is suddenly applied. Must be all that drag/adverse yaw.....

Anyway, three flights and three noseovers.

tim

Posted by Tim Hooper on 17/03/2014 21:27:35:

There's never a wrong time to eat curry! surprise

Gentle progress on the top decking, using Flair Aluclad to emulate the aluminium of the original. Now then, if I were a real aeromodeller, then I'd be using lithoplate. But I'm not, so I'm not.

You do yourself an injustice young Tim

Posted by Tim Hooper on 17/03/2014 21:27:35:

There's never a wrong time to eat curry! surprise

Here here.

I spent the afternoon making a big bowl full of Indian pea and garlic balls. Took half of them to an am-dram rehearsal tonight. I didn't bring any home.

Plummet