Which circuit direction do you fly the most?

Obviously the wind direction dictates circuit direction on most strips, where normal flight will be with the sun behind you, so we all should be able to fly both. However I've seen similar informal research before and there was a high percentage whose preference was left hand circuits. That's certainly my preference for a maiden flight. No-one seems to know why, but to most it appears that it's "more natural", a phrase that occurs quite a bit in this thread.

I've also seen it suggested that the same preference applies to full size pilots, so there is a little more to this than the easiest way to move the transmitter stick. Perhaps the poll should include information from indoor pilots, which would take the wind factor away. Incidentally, I'm in the southern hemisphere - I don't think that has much bearing on the matter.

Rex

Advert

Sounds a bit like the old lady making only left hand turns while driving her car...I drive left or right so I have to fly left or right face 1

I think in most cases you have to fly both directions as the layout of the runway doesn't allow anything else (Exception: NOMAC, here the short cut grassy area is almost round, if you don't struggle with trees and the no-fly zone you can land and tak off in every direction you want)

VA

Its interesting that this preference for left hand circuits seems to have emerged. I'm the other way round! As I said above I fly both - dictated by the wind direction - but our strip is NW/SE and being on the west coast the prevaling wind direction is westerly. So while I can and do fly left hand circuits quite happily, prevaling wind conditions mean I fly right circuits more often. So thinking about it carefully I've come to the conclusion that if I were to arrive at the field and there was no wind to dictate the circuit - I'd probably fly right handed circuits - simply out of habit. So you could say I have a slight preference for right hand circuits!

And yet. I'm right handed and fly mode 2! Which some have suggested might be a reason for left hand circuits feeling more "natural". I think it comes down to what you do most!

Related to this is another question I've long been interested in - most people have a prefered direction in which to roll - for me its "to the right" - I suspect that might be true of a many righthanded flyers - but is it limited to right handed mode 2 flyers?

BEB

, Posted by Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 26/04/2013 20:06:04:

Initial results of the voting are interesting , only 17 % L/H...and I know that 99% car race track,in the World, uses L/H !!.... smile o.....will see the end of the survey..

Joe

Edited By Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 26/04/2013 20:32:00

That isn't the case in F1 though - the vast majority are RH

Regarding the voting, I think the wording has lead us away from the question of preference towards whether we fly circuits in either direction which the majority of us do. 

I've been sitting in front of my PC twiddling my stick...blush...and come to the conclusion that with a thumb, it feels more controlled moving it to the right and with finger and thumb a little more comfortable to the left.

This fits with my right handed, right roll preferenced, thumb flying profile. Any common ground here? Does thumb or finger/thumb tend to affect preference?

Edited By Martin Harris on 26/04/2013 22:47:43

Posted by Rex Ashwell on 26/04/2013 08:29:21:

...there was a high percentage whose preference was left hand circuits. <snip>

I've also seen it suggested that the same preference applies to full size pilots...

I can understand that preference where full-size pilots are concerned. As the pilot-in-command (in f/wing, though not usually helis) sits in the left-hand seat then visibility of the landing strip is better when flying a left-hand circuit than when flying a right.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 26/04/2013 11:30:34:

Its interesting that this preference for left hand circuits seems to have emerged. I'm the other way round! As I said above I fly both - dictated by the wind direction - but our strip is NW/SE and being on the west coast the prevaling wind direction is westerly. So while I can and do fly left hand circuits quite happily, prevaling wind conditions mean I fly right circuits more often. So thinking about it carefully I've come to the conclusion that if I were to arrive at the field and there was no wind to dictate the circuit - I'd probably fly right handed circuits - simply out of habit. So you could say I have a slight preference for right hand circuits!

And yet. I'm right handed and fly mode 2! Which some have suggested might be a reason for left hand circuits feeling more "natural". I think it comes down to what you do most!

Related to this is another question I've long been interested in - most people have a prefered direction in which to roll - for me its "to the right" - I suspect that might be true of a many righthanded flyers - but is it limited to right handed mode 2 flyers?

BEB

BEB - our runway is orientated similarly to yours, though closer to WNW-ESE, so RH circuits are the norm here with prevailing Westerly(ish) winds. I'm sure I would probably fly RH circuits out of habit too if I arrived at a new place on a calm day.

I'm also right-handed, mode 2 and if asked to perform a roll without any thought about direction, I'd tend to roll right, although I'm perfectly happy to do either. The only time I've ever been given the opportunity to fly a roll in a full-size plane I did that to the right too!

Edited By John Privett on 27/04/2013 16:53:10

I tend to roll to the right as well .I think its something to do with rudder adjustments when needed being done by my left hand (mode 2) which is only used for adjustments to the flight path rather than the main controls ie aileron and elevator ,controlled as in normal flight by my right hand .Just a thought ?

Edit

Especially a slow or intermittent roll come to think of it ,when going through the knife edge bit .

Edited By Myron Beaumont on 27/04/2013 16:17:11

When I first built my Junior 60 in 1962/3 the starboard wing was slightly out of true and effectively meant I had slight 'up aileron' even though no ailerons were fitted. This meant that the plane would make docile left turns with left rudder but if you held right rudder for too long the plane went into a spin. To correct the spin I used to throttle back and apply opposite rudder and say the usual prayer! The long term effect on me was that with all model aircraft I have had since I have always preferred left turns. I re-built the Junior 60 in 1976 following a spin induced I think by radio interference from which the plane did not recover as I had no radio control what so ever. The wings are now without defect and the Junior 60 will happily turn in both directions but the brain damage remains!

MJE

Either way for circuits, thermal circuits depend on the plane as some turn better right and others turn better left.

When learning I turned left automatically and found left easier for a while until I settled.

However landing I prefere right to left but again I can do either and dont really think about it, just do whatever the conditions demand.

I am right handed and fly mode 2.

Well before i start to fly my model i see which direction everyone else is flying in , wouldn't do to go against the flow of traffic now would it .

But if no one is in the air i will mostly do figure of eights , unless i want to do speed runs, then it will depend on the wind direction.