Jeti DS16

Loving every minute!

I fly with it week in week out through the year and I was only looking at it a couple of weeks ago and marvelling on how new it looked (that doesn't apply to the carrying case!) The only (tiny) mark was self-inflicted when I tried undoing a switch nut with long-nosed pliers and slipped...

The transmitter has been enhanced over the years with the additional channels and facilities provided by the factory updates and although it was a sizeable investment, I would consider it as better now than when it was new.

After years of pouring scorn on the use of gyros, having found those I'd test flown having a soggy feel, I was tempted by the latest stabilised receivers and bought one to see what the fuss was about - what a revelation! Even these are set to be improved with the next factory upgrade.

I do appreciate that there are strong arguments for the cost/performance benefits of the FRSky range which has shadowed the development of Jeti equipment but there is an undefinable sense of quality about these transmitters. I can honestly say that I don't feel the additional weight of the transmitter (hand held, no strap) while flying (maybe I tend to rest it on my well fed tum?) and "normal" transmitters now feel rather unsubstantial and plasticky.

I stuck with my Futaba FF10/Jeti module system until late 2013 while trying to justify the expense but having enjoyed my experience of Jeti since the day after reading the product launch info in RCM&E in 2009, I was heavily locked in to the Duplex system and having seen a couple of DC-16s in action on a regular basis, the commitment became easier to rationalise.

Ahh yes I remember now Dick the DC came out 6 months before we got the DS in the UK. I can't believe many got one before me, as I had been on Puffins waiting list for over two years

Good to hear that my experience is the same as yours and Martin's. A big investment but still current even after 5 years! I had expected to at least have replaced the Tx battery but so far I see no reason. Have you guys any thoughts on that?

Cheers

Danny

If battery life is mainly cycle dependent then we're probably comfortably within their service life even as relatively heavy users - I don't know about you but charging has become an occasional exercise rather than the old NiXX pre-session ritual.

I'm happy to wait until there's some indication of reduced capacity.

I'm another satisfied user.

I bought the Tx second hand last year from one of the UK retailers who was upgrading to a DS-24, it's a few years old but has the latest firmware and looks & functions like new. I've switched over all the models I fly regularly (excepting the Spectrum BNF stuff) & it's been trouble free & a joy to use.

As you say Danny it's a big investment but remains current, unlike my similarly priced JR DSX12 bought in 2010 which is now an unsupported DSM2 only white elephant.

My Tx battery was upgraded to the 5200Mah capacity one by the previous owner & it seems to last for ever.

Edited By John Lee on 23/02/2018 16:12:44

I personally don't like the ergonomics of the Jets (they just don't fit my hands) and that metal case is very cold and heavy for slope use where I spend a fair bit of my time. Having said that I have to admit they are a lovely looking and high quality bit of kit.

I will be sticking with FrSky, but if I was in the market for a premium TX there is no doubt in my mind I would choose Jeti over Futaba, Spektrum, JR et. The quality is great, telemetry integration and functionality unmatched and the competition at that end of the market seems to have melted away in recent times (JR 28X anyone? No thanks, we have all our marbles here...! )

Edited By MattyB on 23/02/2018 16:18:39

One real plus point is the efforts by Jeti to ensure backwards compatibility meaning that my original 2009 receivers and sensors remain as functional as the day I unpacked them, without hardware or firmware modifications. There are enhanced features on the later EX and REX equipment but wherever possible, Jeti seek to improve older as well as the newer equipment e.g. 24 channel capability and LUA being added to the 16 range as a free firmware update.

I do have one receiver which suffers from reduced range (relegated to test/set-up duty) - but as it spent 4 1/2 years at the top of a large beech tree, I think it has an excuse!

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/02/2018 16:30:08

My DC-16 must have been bought at about the same time as DickW bought his, I know it was one of the first batch into the country. Firmware updated several times over the years and I replaced the battery for the higher capacity one a couple of years ago, as I feel that 5 years old is plenty old enough for any battery which a model relies on. Thought about upgrading to a DC-24, but the 16 does all I need so I haven't bothered.

My DS16 was from Puffin’s first batch too. It did develop a fault a few months in but that was fixed under warranty and it has been flawless since. As Martin says, the backwards compatibility is a big plus - I too have a number of 2009 receivers still going strong. One or two of the 4 channel ones are sometimes a bit reluctant to connect but still seem to work fine.

When I read the RCGroups threads on the system, the emphasis always seems to be on big complex models, with lots of discussion on redundant setups with CB200 boxes multiple receivers, monster servos, 100a ESCs etc.. By contrast, I have lots of relatively simple models (including a few 2-channel slopers) so, if I had a gripe, it would be that I’d like to see a cheaper receiver to make these smaller models more cost-effective to equip. Meanwhile, I just hope the old R4s keep on going!

Trevor