Which is your most practised manoeuvre?

Taking off is an arbitrary decision, it does not have to be done, whilst landing the model after a flight is mandatory.

In other words you have no choice, everything that goes up must come down eventually. How the model comes to rest once committing aviation is a major concern of mine; aerobatics are fun, showing off is even more fun but to finish with a flourish the landing has to be a greaser . . . hence this is MY most practised manoeuvre!!!

Advert

Posted by Ian Laing on 03/06/2013 09:11:30:

Taking off is an arbitrary decision, it does not have to be done, whilst landing the model after a flight is mandatory.

In other words you have no choice, everything that goes up must come down eventually. How the model comes to rest once committing aviation is a major concern of mine; aerobatics are fun, showing off is even more fun but to finish with a flourish the landing has to be a greaser . . . hence this is MY most practised manoeuvre!!!

I think I have practised more take offs than landings dont know

I still practice circuits and bumps after 40 years of flying, in fact I was practising touch and goes at the slope yersterday. I have found doing them early morning when the grass still has dew on it best!.

After that a long slooooow rule from horizon to horizon I probably practice most.

Mmm. interesting question. For me I think it depends a bit on the model. With my Sbach I try to fit some practice in at a combination of rolling, looping amd turn-around manouvres. So maybe one time some double rolls, a half cubans and stall turns. But next time it might be slow rolls, reversals and half top-hats.

With the Cub I try to fly in a more "fitting" style, so loops with short dive entry, slighly barrelly single rolls, not too fast.

With the little Spit its diving into ground sraffing low passes down the strip with a nice slow barrel roll on the out up and out - what else! smile

With the P2000 its stooging around scrabbling for bits of lift and doing nothing very exciting sad (anybody want to buy a glider? face 18 wink 2)

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 03/06/2013 10:28:01:

With the P2000 its stooging around scrabbling for bits of lift and doing nothing very exciting sad (anybody want to buy a glider? face 18 wink 2)

BEB

Well...I have been looking at the P2K for a while, I'd be happy to show you how to fly it in a fun way....

Or I could re-house that poor maligned airframe for you

Olly

A round loop is very difficult to to.....round. Most people ( and I'm first in the queue ) try and make a loop too big for the aircraft size and power.

I try and pracitce flying straight and level with turn arounds at each end, 1/2 cuban usually, then coming down the same line straight and level again. OMG its hard to get right.

Has to be a really nice landing, controlled approach, gentle three-pointer, where you not the plane decided it should be. The icing on the cake is the plane rolling to a stop without tipping over at the last minute, then taxiing back to the pits. VERY satisfying.

The airborne manoeuvre has to be the Cuban Eight or just big big loops with a roll as you go over the top, not the most demanding, but they do look nice. All these can be done with most planes flown at the average club field, you don't need a special aerobat.

I continue to strive for a perfect stall turn with entry/exit from inverted and large circular outside loops(bunt), the heart stopping way towards the ground. Of course when conditions allow touch and go's on skis smiley