new transmitter suggestions?

bren

Advert

The Taranis is very capable if you can take full advantage of the software but I do wonder about the hardware quality - it has rather a plasticky feel to me. There again, my view may be somewhat distorted as I'm still trying to pursuade myself that I don't need a Jeti DS16 after handling a couple of Jeti DCs...

I don't claim any in-depth knowledge of the Taranis but I do wonder how the average flyer will cope with programming even the basic functions - the one I've seen is owned by someone who writes software for a living and he's finding it quite hard going. Perhaps someone will come up with a basic configuration to upload along the lines of the operating system supplied on a conventional system - if such a thing doesn't already exist?

Edited By Martin Harris on 01/08/2013 00:36:59

Ha! I do hope the instructions are written better than the description of that Devo thing!

I wonder why people need mor than 6 functions, never mind all this computer programming stuff. It seems a difficulty too far for most users. I'll stick with my DX5e, thanks. Cheap, reliable and does all I'm likely to need for years.

I think there's a hint of the bling-fest with a lot of this stuff, whereby someone thinks they'll be thought more of by the kiddies at the club if they have a bigger screen or more knobs.

As my Dad used to say..."There's only one knob any man needs!"

Martin

The Devo 12s instructions are appalling. I couldn't fathom how to bind the Tx to the Rx until I'd watched 2 different YouTube vids on the subject. It's nothing like a Spektrum in that respect.

I don't think I ever will need 12 channels, and I freely admit I mostly bought it for the pose value. But at about £250 inc p&p it ticked all the boxes for me.

Edited By Mark Agate on 01/08/2013 11:08:35

Having said all the above, I have just seen the Jeti Tx. What a beautifully clean, neat, and importantly for me, un blingy piece of kit and all made in the Czech Republic, these days a definite guarantee of quality in my experience. I have worked with Czechs of all backgrounds and ages and they were all the most charming and capable people in any sphere.

If I needed hundreds of channels and could afford £1000 for R/C gear, I'd have it in an instant!

A shame they don't do basic 4 function stuff, but subtle quality will out ultimately.

Martin

Posted by Foxfan on 01/08/2013 10:33:14:

Ha! I do hope the instructions are written better than the description of that Devo thing!

I wonder why people need mor than 6 functions, never mind all this computer programming stuff. It seems a difficulty too far for most users. I'll stick with my DX5e, thanks. Cheap, reliable and does all I'm likely to need for years.

I think there's a hint of the bling-fest with a lot of this stuff, whereby someone thinks they'll be thought more of by the kiddies at the club if they have a bigger screen or more knobs.

As my Dad used to say..."There's only one knob any man needs!"

Martin

well, that's one way of looking at it. The other is that all these functions can be used to make a model easier to fly, or even just to fly more accurately.

Those of us who have been around long enough to witness the evolution of modern radio will be familiar with basic 4 function sets with no rates, no reversing and no model memories and would not want to go back to basics.

Try using the computer features, start with some expo. Experiment with aileron differential to improve roll response. Flight modes are nice, on gliders to set the model for launch thermalling or high speed ground covering, for power to set the model up with retracts and flap compensation on the elevator or just to feed a bit of up trim in for landing.

Let's not talk about knife-edge, instead think about Farnborough passes. A bit of rudder-aileron and rudder-elevator mixing will make these much easier to fly neatly.

the thing to remember about these "ODD" txs like the tarannis and the devo and orange, is that if you are a new flyer and are going to need help learning to fly then you have to consider your choice a bit more carefully

can you buddy box your choice of tx to your tutors

can you programme your tx

can your tutor programme the tx

choosing based on money is fine but yo need to think about things more than that

let me give you an example

new guy at patch, turns up with turigy 9x and new model, lots of things wrong with model that need sorting out, you know the stuff, reversed controls, sub trim too much elevator throw, could he sort it out....no!

could anyone else sort it out......no....... the owner had to resort to the internet to find out how to do it, do not expect your tutor to waste his valuable time trying to programme your cheap radio out, he probably has more than one pupil plus his own flying to do, your choice of radio based on price alone could be a selfish one!

Posted by Tartan81 on 01/08/2013 11:46:46:

That orange tx looks superb for the money.i really like how its orange and 2.4.

How many rx is there that are compatable with this?

If you buy the Spektrum compatible version all Spektrum rx. I use Orange Rx with my Spektrum DX6i the Orange Tx is well reported and has enough functions, its compatible with most Spektrum tx for buddy lead.

I would buy a Spektrum DX6i, its not expensive and all those cheap Orange rx will be compatible, buy the Tx only kit if you like. Spektrum has Model Match which will not allow you to take off with the TX set to the wrong model, in the old days I did it, as did many others, when you are learning it is one less thing to worry about.

I think the buddy box is over rated I did not use one when I was taught, and lots of tutors don't like the false sense of security it gives to the trainee. It will have a good resale value if you decide to to not go on with flying, Orange will be worth nothing.

Edited By Glyn R on 01/08/2013 16:58:06

Edited By Glyn R on 01/08/2013 17:07:33

thanks for all the replies,, im still learning and have only flown a trainer a few times but i can see it wont be too long before im looking for the next model up with ailerons,, not sure what id like to end up flying i guess the usual things lol,, i do know my way around a decent controller though having helped my race 1/8th scale nitro buggies to quite a high level

I'm a Spektrum user myself.

A good model shop will have a selection of transmitters available for you to power up and try out.
Take a look around in your local clubs and travel around a few hobby shops

With the range of transmitters from Spektrum, Futaba, Hitec and HobbyKing Orange, etc it all depends upon your personal taste and budget.

Only you can decide what you prefer.
When choosing a transmitter, consider the costs of the receivers as you will need to buy a few of these over time.

For me, the satisfaction will come from mixing those controls myself, like a real pilot. I can see where all the computerisation would make flying certain models easier, but that isn't for me. I can't make head nor tail of the mobile phone, so a programmable Tx. would be useless to e. My fairly simple Tx has rates and servo reversing, it even has elevon mixing apparently, but that's as far as I'd go as programming would be a pain for me. Good luck if that's what you'd like, though. As to values, as the basic stuiff cost almost nothing anyway, it hardly matters that it would be worth nothing on resale, but I wouldn't sell my gear anyway. I'd just keep using it until I could afford something with more functions....maybe.

Not all of us have the ability to buy the fanciest or the "best". And buddying isn't an issue for me since my chum is a very good teacher without it. He learned on his own and has a way of showing how and explaining it just right. Having flown a few real aircraft, I have a pretty good idea how it feels to tidy a turn with a touch of rudder and elevator and want to experience that with my models, which would be so few as to not require memories beyond my own.

It is for the OP to decide, I guess, on what kinds of aircraft he wants to fly and how much of a dash he wants to cut with his gear at the club field.

Martin

Posted by Phil Green on 31/07/2013 23:49:05:

There's nothing to touch the Frsky Taranis.

Cheers

Phil

if you can change a setting on a computers then this looks like the greats new thing fit any jr style module in back and it will still run frsky at same time and have as many modles saved as you got memory card spare for any mix you can think of and much more