FrSky Taranis - user chat

Bob Cotsford

Advert

Getting to grips with my Taranis Plus (only had it a year so early days yet) and I am still not sure about the Input and Mixes pages. I have read through reams and reams and watched dozens of video clips but can't seem to get a definitive answer. Fixed wing, only, and the most I will probably ever need to worry about is:-

Dual Rates: Expo: Aileron Differential: Motor Cut-off: Flaps: Flapperons (when no flaps): Elevator Compensation for flaps/flapperons:

My question is - which page should I be entering these onto, Input Page or Mixes Page? Or which combination of the two?

Thank you to anyone who can advise.

Ian

I haven't read the latest RCM&E so hopefully I dont contradict.

I have expo set up in the Inputs (sticks) page, all the rest I have set up in the mixers.

Bear in mind that I am only basing this on setting up one model with flaps and also using Crow mixing on the ailerons.
Although I have done it a bit different using a slider for variable crow on top of the switch activation, so have got my head round the mixing to a degree.

Andy, I have read Martin's article in this month's RCME and note where it says that the second Aileron line is better added to the Mixes Page rather than the Input Page "...for reasons you will better understand later..." but I am afraid the penny hasn't dropped. I still cannot see any particular logic for doing it one way rather than t'other.

The reason I am asking the question in the first place is that, yesterday, on OpenTX Companion (2.0.19) I set up a model with Triple Rates and Expo on the Input Page and everything was fine. However, still on the Input Page, I then tried to set up Differential for the ailerons.

So, I went into the Edit Box for ailerons and changed the Curve Button from Expo to Diff and entered a value. Exiting back to the Input Page, the Aileron Line now showed the Diff value instead of the Expo value. Going back to the same aileron Edit Box, I then changed the Curve button from Diff back to Expo and the value in the box showed zero. It works the same way t'other way round - as if adding one makes the other revert to zero and vice-versa.

I hope I have explained myself clearly.

Anyway, in the meantime, I think I may modify Kevin's method slightly and set up Dual (or Triple) Rates and Expo on the Inputs Page and the rest on the Mixer Page. So to alter my question slightly - will this be OK or should I be doing something else.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to read this. Ian

Basically the logic is quite superficial, most things can be done on both screens, but not all. For instance, if one uses one servo for ailerons, it doesn't matter much, but if using 2 aileron channels with 2 servos, then it is much simpler to set up any expo and rates on the inputs page. You can set it up on the mixes page, but then you have to set rates and expo twice, once for each servo.

Its not only the setting up, suppose then you want to change expo down at the field. Its much easier to do that once on the inputs page rather than twice on the mixes page, where you also run the risk of getting each servo set up differently - though that could be needed in some circumstances.

Basically, the screen name gives it away. Inputs is where you link the actual controls to inputs that OpenTX will use. Mixes is generally where you do the clever stuff such as adding the mixing for a nosewheel servo. Usually it doesn't have its own input, it takes that from the rudder and manipulates it however one wants.

At the end of the day, test your way using the simulator, if it does what you want it works. In time people will establish their own way of doing things, and if that suits them and works then fine. I would suggest, however, decide on one way and then try and be consistent with all your models.

Edited By Andy48 on 26/04/2016 15:30:33

Thank you very much, Andy. I'll ignore the apparent anomaly re Expo and Diff cancelling each other out on the Input Page and crack on doing it "my way" and, as you say, check on the simulator to see if it works. I will also try and make sure I am being consistent with all my models.

Good this OpenTX thingy, innit. Ian.

Easy way I think about this... Properties of the stick (which are essentially limited to expo and rates) I always do on the Inputs screen. Properties associated with the control surface (differential, speed of movement etc.) I do in the mixer. Other methods may work too, but this has always worked for me even in super complex setups.

IanR,

I sympathise with you on this because I have had mine for at least two years and have only just plucked up enough courage to commit a model to the air with it having read so many stories about loss of range etc.

Thanks to a lot of help from a fellow club member I have actually test flown four models with it and the RF link is absolutely solid. I am using 2xD8R and 2xX8R Rx`s and pre EU (now called international I believe) s/w.

The first mistake I made was to do the servo reversing on the inputs screen which resulted in the trims being reversed -not good when I only found out in the air.

The next was to try and use offsets to centre the servos which resulted in more travel in one direction than the other. May be able to use this for differential. Perhaps that is what it is for.

The next step is to try to get flapperons to work opposite to elevator.

My main gripe about it is that I have not as yet found out how to vary the throttle servo throws each side of centre but the offsets may help here.

I would suggest you avoid using anything on the Outputs page until you really understand what you are doing, apart from servo reversing. The offsets is  really for centering the servo as sometimes due to the splines it cannot be exactly centred on one side before connecting the linkages, or perhaps when replacing your receiver with a Taranis receiver as not all makes of transmitter have the centering in the same place.

Full set of up-to-date documentation for the Taranis here:

**LINK**

Edited By Andy48 on 26/04/2016 20:15:27

Matty, yes indeed. Your way is now my way.

Martin, yes indeed, again. Having become disenchanted with my Spektrum DX7 (crappy DSM2) after 3 models bought it, I got the Taranis kit because of the reported rock solid radio performance and the much more reasonable cost of receivers.

Having got over the flashing to LBT hurdle, I am at last getting ready to fly. But that's when the massive capability of the system can translate itself into massive complication.

I now realise, however, that Taranis and OpenTX can be likened to a modern word processor with the old 80%-20% rule, ie. 80% of what I do with a word processor requires only 20% of its capability. Whilst the word processor is capable of producing even books with pictures in all sorts of formats etc etc all I ever do is write the occasional letter.

And I am sure it will be the same with Taranis - I won't need 80% (or more) of its capabilities. The problem has been sorting out what I need and what I can safely ignore.

Thanks for listening. Ian

Although I mostly fly gliders, and have Aileron differential on them all I have never used the diff setting. The problem that I see with it, is that it reduces the amount of servo travel that you use, and therefore the power available. If you have an ARTF model you may not be able to get over this, but if you build yourself, there is (I think) a better way.

If lets say you want 10 degrees down and 30 degrees up, then set up the mechanics to use full servo throw to get this movement. Now when you turn the Tx on, you should find both ailerons up too high with the stick centred.

Adjust the sub trim on the servo page to get each aileron where you want it, and now you will get your differential without loss of servo movement. Always try and get the mechanics correct, before you start, and your flying will be much more rewarding.

If you are not using most of the servo travel, you induce two problems. 1/ You reduce the power available, 2/ you increase the speed of the control surface movement.

Mechanics rule OK..

devil devil devil devil

BC

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 26/04/2016 19:39:37:

The first mistake I made was to do the servo reversing on the inputs screen which resulted in the trims being reversed -not good when I only found out in the air.

That's a pretty big club....................and its far too easy a trap to fall into, many have!

I mean, EVERYONE checks their surfaces are going the right way before flight especially carefully before a maiden flight (Well, no, and the fields are littered with wrecks that prove it, but I'm trying to be gracious), but how many check the trims are!!

Posted by Barry Cole 2 on 27/04/2016 10:03:40:

Adjust the sub trim on the servo page to get each aileron where you want it, and now you will get your differential without loss of servo movement.

I don't fully agree with this. Setting the mechanics correct for differential usually involves offsetting either the servo arm or the control horn (or both). When you then adjust the sub-trim, you are then changing the servo arm centre position, so you are changing the mechanical setup, possibly even removing the servo arm offset you set.

Also, adjusting the sub-trim moves the channel centre position, but doesn't (normally) move the endpoints, so you end up with less servo movement on one side and more on the other.

Mike.

In the MIxes tab at the bottom you'll see options for delay and up/down

Double click on the switch you're using.

Or if you're doing it on the Tx go to MIXER then hold down Ent on the u/c switch for edit options.

Edited By Eagle 899 on 27/04/2016 12:30:20

Edited By Eagle 899 on 27/04/2016 12:35:28

Posted by Mike Blandford on 27/04/2016 12:10:44:

Posted by Barry Cole 2 on 27/04/2016 10:03:40:

Adjust the sub trim on the servo page to get each aileron where you want it, and now you will get your differential without loss of servo movement.

I don't fully agree with this. Setting the mechanics correct for differential usually involves offsetting either the servo arm or the control horn (or both). When you then adjust the sub-trim, you are then changing the servo arm centre position, so you are changing the mechanical setup, possibly even removing the servo arm offset you set.

Also, adjusting the sub-trim moves the channel centre position, but doesn't (normally) move the endpoints, so you end up with less servo movement on one side and more on the other.

Mike.

Mike,

If you do it this way, you do not offset the servo horn., and you do use all the servo travel. Try it and see.

As an aside, thanks for adding the maintenance section to 2.0.19, very useful. (Why the Menu button and not the Ent button though) Had me going for a while.

BC

For reference here is a link to Gary's other thread where I've put examples of how I use delays on retracts.

On the subject of offsets and dif, I've just updated to 2.1.9 and notice that there's a nice graphical display of the effect that offset, weight and dif will have when editing a mix on the transmitter - nice!

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 27/04/2016 15:06:44

Posted by Barry Cole 2 on 27/04/2016 12:43:40:

If you do it this way, you do not offset the servo horn., and you do use all the servo travel. Try it and see.

I understand why this works, I'm just trying to be clear what is actually happening.

If you don't offset the servo horn, but the aileron is then not at neutral, you are then using the sub-trim to offset the servo horn to bring the aileron to neutral. In your example, you then use a quarter of the servo movement in one direction and three quarters of the servo movement the other way.

If you use a purely mechanical arrangement, you would still have half the servo movement in each direction.

Mike.

Mike,

Yes I agree. When I said about not using all the servo travel, that was using the "Diff" setting in OTX.

I think that using my method is better than the mechanical way, as the mechanics of it are better, the servo arm does not tend to disappear up into the wing with the down going aileron.

There are many ways to do it, everyone to their own..

What do you fly Mike??

BC

• 1 month later...