How to do Build Pictures

Stephen Jones

Advert

Sorry CB, I don't get your post either.

The quality of the photography and the effort put into it needs to reflect the purpose surely?

If it's simply to show progress to friends or to keep a record in an 'ordinary' build blog then a phone or low-res camera is fine. If it's for a magazine article then I'd want it to be the mutt's nuts.

When an expert builder without an ego, but great pride in his/her work (as Danny is), provides a build blog with quality photos and buckets of detail then I for one, am immensely grateful.

I've not seen many examples of elitism here but if you want to fire pot-shots at anyone I suggest you pick the right target first!

Hi I do prefer to make and see pictures that show the general clutter in a workshop. The background can tell a lot. If a pristine image without shadows is needed, there are ways

make a light box. ie. fluorescent tube(s) in a box with opaque acrylic on top.

or lay the object on a flat sheet of velvet, which will absorb the light.

resort to photoshop

ernie

I think in my entry I should have noted 'Stephen Jone's' your getting some nice results -for the balsa frame work pictures, and Danny's set-up will get some great results.

Great taken, framed and objective picture's are a great way of adding to the narrative we are sharing on here with others.

It's not elitism to want to get a good picture, if some one want's to take time to get a good result it should be admired and we -as others should learn form it, surely it's the same as building a true and straight, good and safe flying model, fly it nicely and land it at your feet, isn't that what we are trying to do with RC models?  Taking a clear picture can be one of the many facet's of the hobby.

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 28/09/2014 09:56:22

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 28/09/2014 09:58:45

well i didnt really intend to stir things up. I do hear from modellers that have a hankering to get pictures into the magazine. I was simply trying to show how I do this.

I have had a continuing battle with our esteemed Ed trying to get pics in that show clutter and tools as well as whats happening. Graham sets a very high standard, and despite my grumbles I think he is right. I really cringe at some of the other magazines picture quality.

for build blogs, i would suggest as long as the resolution is high, well lit and sharp, composition is not so important.

cheers

Danny

As a "jobbing modeller" I want to see how the experts do things, in many cases the thing Danny (or others) are showing isn't what I want to see at that particular time, but later on when I am scratching my head trying to make a square section fit in a round hole, a thought comes into my head "Ahh I recall Danny doing something a bit like that, how the hell did he do it" - my biggest problem then is finding the dam build log and the thing I want to see!!!

However I do wish there was at least a bit of clutter, simply because she who thinks she should be obeyed compares my debris strewn workbench with Danny's photos and, well you know..... that one eyebrow arching upwards says a million words, most of them uncomplimentary

I've found it much easier to take build log pictures of someone else's build, during the build, while they are building, rather than stopping to take pictures during my own modelling/fettling. I don't actually take a fraction of the workshop snaps that I used to take, because the number of build threads and picture essays now is vast, compared to a decade ago, when such things were a bit of a novelty.

That said, they are all very much snapshots, rather than professionally posed pictures- so they will always have the background mess which is the workbench, in the background. Personally I'd get even less done than the miniscule amount that i do get done, if I had to tidy up to take every single picture.

You do like making us work you chaps. We have a Code of Conduct which states:-

Use English only please. Posts made in any other language will be deleted. There are no exceptions here.

So I'm afraid I have no choice, the thread may make a little less sense when the posts have gone, but they are going. I have no choice.

Posted by Danny Fenton on 27/09/2014 21:39:56:

I thought I would post this pic to give an idea of how I do a build and photograph it at the same time.

home studio 1.jpg

I have to squeese in between that lot and silver solder this elevator joiner. I also have to do it with a remote control in my hand smile o So now you know why my builds take so long wink 2

Cheers

Danny

Thanks for that Danny 12 months between replays , not bad wink 2 .

My intention for starting this thread was not just for myself but to help others that would like to take better shots.

It would appear that the general masses are quite happy just snapping away , and i have to agree that there is far too much effort and space needed to create pictures of the quality the Ed requires for the general hobbyist to contend with .

I will from time to time try to take better pictures following the advice given so far has been very helpful .

Cheers Guys ,

Steve.