Lipo power switch

Hi, has anybody ever fitted a power switch to lipos?

I want to leave my lipo in my plane, then i can pop it in the car without removing the wings, fly it, then remove the wings to charge the lipo at home. I usually fly when i get home about 2:30 for 10 mins before i pick my son up from school and it would save me some hassle!

I wondered whether a receiver power switch on the esc to receiver cable would be a possible method?

I think you'll have a hard time finding a power cable switch big enough to handle the current a lipo will be supply during flight. The other option of a switch on the receiver cable is not hopeful either because unless you unplugged the lipo, current will still flow through the esc and motor and within a few days completely flatten the cells...not good for lipos.

There is a commercial safety plug of this type. Not sure who markets it but it was mentioned in RCME some months ago. I think Nigel Hawes said somethoing about it in his column. Don't have the magazine to hand but 4-Max comes to mind as the source. I use one of these and find it does the job very well.

Malcolm

Posted by kc on 03/10/2013 19:58:41:
Wouldn't it be better to put a different type of shorting plug to your Lipo plug. To avoid absent mindedly putting a shorting plug straight on a Lipo causing a dead short?

Fair point, kc, but I think if I reach the stage where that is a distinct possibility I shall hang up my Tx on public safety grounds.......wink 2

Plenty of ideas to follow-up with the links from these images

I've used Deans arming plugs for several years without issues - easy enough to make upthumbs up

Pete

• 3 months later...

Just wondering if anyone has come up with a design for electronic switching of the LIPO (eg a MOSFET or solid state relay, etc). I'm no expert, but I've seen inexpensive MOSFETs rated at 100A 30V and fairly simple switching circuits which would presumably mean that you could use a low voltage/current switch to activate the high current MOSFET or relay???? After all, ESCs presumably employ similar technology?

question

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 10/01/2014 14:09:05:

Whilst a Mosfet switch might be ok for use at the field I would have thought it most unwise to travel in a car with a Lipo still connected.

Surely the only safe method (particularly when in a confined space like a car) is to physically break the battery connection.

Amen

Posted by Alan Gorham 2 on 10/01/2014 13:19:33:

Such devices are commercially available and have been for years.

German manufacturer Emcotec offer a range to suit different voltage/current ratings.

here is one type:

**LINK**

Not cheap, but proves the concept...

Does it?

The use of these has been discussed before but no one (so far) has been able to say that they are 100% safe insomuch that it is impossible for one to make a circuit unless activated with the correct signal.

I think that any so-called safety isolation device will have it's limitations.

I simply posted the link to the Emcotec unit in response to Michael Smiths' query regarding using high power MOSFETs in this application. I do not think that the products specifications imply or suggest that it is suitable for long-term isolation (F.E. as some have suggested while the model is transported from home to field in car.

Having considered fitting the Emcotec unit to my high powered scale models where the primary motivation was to cut down on the amount of handling the model received while fitting and removing the LiPos before and after every flight, I came to the conclusion that the benefits did not outweigh the purchase costs and there was also the matter of the unsightly safety switch to conceal.

Personally, I never viewed a unit such as this as offering 100% percent foolproof isolation. Just as I wouldn't view a Dean's connector or other such device as being suitable.

I concur that the only guarantee of complete safe isolation is to only install the battery into the model and then connect up electrically immediately prior to flight. And obviously to immediately disconnect and then remove the battery after landing.

In my case, I always use a separate supply for the Rx in any case so I did not view that factor as a limitation or disadvantage of the product.

In conclusion, I would suggest that if the battery is fitted to the model then there is always the potential for it to become live inadvertently (however small that risk may be). So the old adage about viewing such models as 'live' would be a good idea.

Edited By Alan Gorham 2 on 10/01/2014 17:21:37

Edited By Alan Gorham 2 on 10/01/2014 17:25:35

Any electronic switch will always have a small leakage current present which is going to destroy the lipo if left connected for too long. It needs full physical isolation. Unfortunatly any mechanical switch or relay rated for a high enougth current is going to be just too big/heavy to be practical, the use of a deans or xt60 in the main battery feed is cheap, light and reliable so difficult to see any benefit for the alternatives.

As for charging in situ, yes there is always some risk, but if you treat your batteries properly then the risk is no greater than many others. Your phone/laptop/etc probably all use lipos, how much do you worry about these when charging? I can just imagine the reaction if I told the wife that she has to charge her phone in the shed and she has to sit and watch it charging as well!

Andrew