Mass Build general chat

Advert

Chris

I voted for models where i knew what they are and would like to build.

With respect to the full content of this and the related thread, no I have not read all the postings. There are two good reasons, the first the thread had a number of pages when I came across it and the second is that many models were put forward with little information with respect to the model.

I have built two of the models put forward. One which has not made the top positions and a second which is up there. These I knew about, there are few that I have seen the plan in RCM&E, others where I have followed build blogs. Yet there were many where i have never heard of, in some cases several model designs exist with the same name.

So we're all picking one from the top 5 then.

I'm a new build/flyer, and I want to build the Tinker (major) but I have no idea about powerplants etc so will anyone be building the Tinker ? I have foamie at the moment and its too light to fly 95% of the time. so i'm going to build something a bit heavier and bigger.

Are we going to have a discussion thread for each model type ?

I was looking forward to the one model for everyone so I can could get help tips or straightforward shopping lists, I hope this will still be the case.

Darlo you can bet ya bottom dollar there will be a separate chat thread for each model, as well as the individual build threads. when it comes to a power plant for the Tinker, or any other of the 5, there most likely will be a separate powertrain thread for each too, and suggestions and solid advice will be forth coming.

looks like being a busy winter ahead both on the forum and in the shed

Phil

OK to answer a few points.

I found the information collated by BEB on the Nominations Catalogue thread was very useful and informative. For example, the link to Erfolgs example, the Mini Jazz takes you to a place where the plan can be purchased. There's a photo of the model and there are all the vital statistics. I think this is plenty to base a vote on.

As for what is the decision of the majority? It looks to me as if there is not much chance of doing anything but going with the top 5.

I'd just like to check with BEB, in case he's received a whole host of reasons why we shouldn't. I did chat with him this morning and he had a huge amount of work on today for some very tight deadlines. So let's hang on just a little longer, I'm sure he'll surface soon. Then we can do the final rubber stamp and we can all get on with deciding,acquiring, building, blogging or just watching.

Even though my 1st choice is in the top 5, but probably would Not come 1st in a vote. I would still be a bit disappointed if we don't all build the same model. Guess you can't please everybody.

Thanks for putting all the work in BEB. You have the patience saints can only aspire too.

Edited By Nev on 13/10/2013 22:27:28

Hi Danny

That does sound like an interesting build!

I will have to have a careful think about the Tinker major because to electrify it, it will need a fairly beefy motor to replace a .40 IC , around 800 Watts I think and that would need 5 or 6S batteries - it would be quite an expensive build.

OR I could have a go at an IC powered plane - it would be my first - Yikes! blush

OK Chaps I'm here!

I am very sorry for being missing on such an important day - but I am afraid I had a job to do for work for which the deadline was today - you will be pleased to know I met the deadline - with the email containing the required document being timed at 23:58!! Phew!

Anyway, everyone seems to be really up for Chris's suggestion, I think its a good un - let's do it then!!

The FIVE Mass Build Models for the 2014 event are,.......(trumpets please!)

• Barnstormer - all variants
  • Dawn Flyer
  • Tinke/Tyro - again all variants
  • Mini Jazz
  • Pushy Cat

You're all obviously mustard keen - so let's start now!

I'll set up a signing up thread, please enter on there what you plan to build so we have a list all in one place. Chat can continue on here for now but we'll open a general chat thread for the building phase soon. We have at least one experienced builder for every model - which is great thanks chaps! - and I'll be listing them tomorrow later on.

OK - thanks to everyone who voted and helped with the debate - a special thank you to Chris for his idea - a good decision for modelflying I think.

BEB

Posted by WolstonFlyer on 13/10/2013 23:39:36:

Hi Danny

That does sound like an interesting build!

I will have to have a careful think about the Tinker major because to electrify it, it will need a fairly beefy motor to replace a .40 IC , around 800 Watts I think and that would need 5 or 6S batteries - it would be quite an expensive build.

My Senior Telemaster, a six foot wingspan model, admittedly a monoplane, flies very well on a 4S LiPo powered by a 3548 outrunner. I think that this set up should power a Tinker Major adequately so it won't be as expensive to build as you think.

Senior Telemaster

Thanks BEB and Chris for the effort and most of all patience you have shown!

In case anyone is interested in what a Tinker 45" RE can do, here's a link to the Tinker 45" being wrung out. I put it in the original discussion but now realise that some people require things repeated! (endlessly!)

Tinker

Enjoy!

all credit to BEB and chris...............sitting here at the other end of the country -checking in to the forum...and seeing the amount of work that the two mods have put in...to getting the mass build organised ....... the lads deserve a big thankyou for the time they have devoted to getting the thing in to some sort of order....well done lads.........

ken Anderson ne..1....... mods dept.

Many thanks to Chris and BEB for their efforts. You know what they say, you can't please all of the folk all of the time. Good job you've both got broad shoulders, especially BEB face 1

Looking forward to getting started, I tend to build from plans the hard way, no laser cut parts here! I also have an idea for a minor mod to the DF front-end involving a little reshaping and a dummy exposed engine, with maybe a little lithoplate for added effect.

And IF I find time now the workshop construction is complete I may, I stress may, have a go at a Barnstormer.

Can't wait to get started but must finish the Phase 6 first.

Ian