RCFerret - online websearch tool

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
Posted by Allan Bowker on 17/04/2020 13:49:36:

Just wanted to bump this thread, such a great website, especially while we are all dependant upon online ordering.

Many thanks Allan,

to be honest I pretty much forgot about the site, as it causes me so little problems. I think at some point I will refresh the list of stores, as some have unfortunately disappeared and new ones have arrived.

If there are any online stores you would like added please feel free to let me know.

Cheers

Darren

Thanks Darren, the site has saved me a lot of money over the years and helped me buy hard to find items by being able to search each shops stock.

If you can check that their feeds are still updating your site, that would be really helpful, thanks.
It did seem more recently that the same few shops were cropping up and others no longer being included.
Although that may have been due to the lack of stock in these unusual times.

@Ron Gray

Make sure you have visited the SETTINGS menu on the top right of the website.

Untick any EXCLUDE FROM RESULTS and check mark SAVE SETTINGS TO COOKIE.

If this fails, try a different browser or another PC?
There is also an app available to download for iPhone.

Long live the Ferret laugh

• 1 month later...

Evening /morning,

Due to CV19, i've found myself out of a job and with a bit of free time on my hands. So i've taken a look at my RCFerret website with a view of a tidy up behind the scenes and to my embarrassment have realised that it was severely broke and next to useless.

So, i've spent the last 2 days going through every store, removing the ones that sadly are no longer with us (I counted 10) and fixing the searches for approximately 60% of the store searches as they have either changed platform, website addresses, names etc (it was 4 years ago that I did this).

So the searches should be helpful again, and going forward I plan on giving the site and app some much needed love.

As always if there is a store you think should be added let me know.

Daz.

Edited By Darren Brooks - RCFerret on 04/06/2020 00:37:08

Hi Darren

Sorry to learn about your employment problems at the moment, I'm sure that won't last long and you will be very busy soon.

Then again, it's a win win for the RC community, so thanks for looking at the site and giving the gears a little oiling.

I'm still a regular user myself and did think it was fetching less results than it used to, but then again, I also put that down to a few of the listed shops being out of business. Despite all this, it was still saving me time and money when searching for items. I look forward to seeing it develop in the near future.

Thanks again!
If I think of a store to add, I will drop you a PM.

PS: Just tested it and yes, quite a difference! An item that I've been having trouble finding is now returning in the results. Brilliant!

Edited By Allan Bowker on 04/06/2020 01:27:42

Can I also add my thanks Darren, I've used the site on a number of occasions in the past & will now do so again going forward.

I wonder if you have any thoughts about expanding the search for stores outside of the UK?

Only this morning I was looking for a Multiplex FunCub NG, I could not find any in the UK, nor is it listed by the importer. However they are available on the Continent & I ended up ordering from Modelbau Lindinger in Austria. It's the latest of a number of purchases I've made from the EU & with International couriers being so efficient nowadays the delivery time & cost is comparable, or better, than the UK.

Hi,

I have just found this and it's so very useful.

One improvement if your doing some dev might be able to do more specific searches. If I search for p51 or FMS p51 I get really relevant returns.

If I search of swann morton no.2. I get everything with a 2 in it

Not sure how this could be fixed but it would be good if you could use "swann morten" e.g. include both words together etc.

Thanks

Jon

Posted by Jonathan Sharland on 06/06/2020 09:00:35:

Hi,

I have just found this and it's so very useful.

One improvement if your doing some dev might be able to do more specific searches. If I search for p51 or FMS p51 I get really relevant returns.

If I search of swann morton no.2. I get everything with a 2 in it

Not sure how this could be fixed but it would be good if you could use "swann morten" e.g. include both words together etc.

Thanks

Jon

Hi Jon,

thanks for the feedback - i will see what I can do, I am at the mercy of the retailer's own search mechanisms unfortunately, I have to in many cases filter and manipulate the results to make something half readable and relevant.

Your point about returning results with a single digit match is a good one and I will address that.

Posted by Darren Brooks - RCFerret on 06/06/2020 08:32:13:

laugh

they're still handy for batteries

Edited By Darren Brooks - RCFerret on 06/06/2020 08:32:36

It was a bit tongue in cheek Darren.

I have over 40 orders with them, and as I live near the depot next day delivery is a given, thanks to my local Parcel Force driver.