RCM&E January 2014 issue thoughts, feedback etc.

Terry Walters

Ok waited long enough to give you all a chance to be first but no-one has put up yet. Latest mag been here (France!) since Sat and very nice it is too. Thank you Danny Fenton for a very interesting scale article and lots of other good stuff to read - just what I needed!

The interview with Ian Redshaw was also excellent and gave me the incentive to dig out my old 'Free with Daily Mail' DVD of The Ladykillers - forgotten how good that was - still can't believe Alec Guinness' character portrayal - definitely not George Smiley"! Lots of retro shots of streets full of the traffic I remember as a kid! Thanks Ian.

Looking forward to the Vulcan article next month following Cyril Carr's write up of his fabulous B1 Model.

Keep it coming

Terry

Advert

Posted by Martin Whybrow on 10/12/2013 19:25:29:

How come you get it in France before we get it in Blighty angry

Don't ask me Martin I haven't got a clue - usually with everything else it's quite the opposite - but thanks for letting me have it first!

Cheers

Terry

ps - it's probably really to compensate having to pay so much more subscription than you and foregoing the free gift on renewal too!devil

Posted by Glenn Stratton on 11/12/2013 09:42:23:

yesThumbs up for another good edition.I didn't have a fun fly on my list of would likes, but Martins Ellipse is now on it! smile p Be good if those nice people at MHS could produce a CNC Woodpack for it in due course.wink 2

Yes, that's in hand Glenn, give it a month or so.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 11/12/2013 10:11:47

Very good magazine, seemed to have more in it than most. Good reviews, interesting plan and the articles were excellent.

The only problem I have is in the Mount up article about thermal soaring, in the rant about using snakes. We have used them (plastic ones) for years and years in the hottest summer and coldest winter days from small to large models- they have proved to be excellent. The connections have no slop, work smoothly and have superb longevity. So clearly in answer to why they are so popular is simply because the author of this article cannot use them properly.

But a great magazine, thanks to the Ashby's, all the authors/photographers and everyone else involved in producing it.

CS

I have some sympathy with you there CSB. I would agree with the author that little beats a closed loop system on a rudder for lightness, lack of slop and adjustability and push rods are indeed a good solution. But I felt the "rant" against snakes was bit unjustified in my opinion. I've used snakes many times in models with no problem whatsoever. True you can get a bit of thermal expansion so I wouldn't recommend them in a high precission F3C jobbie. But for most of us - no problem. So you have to retrim a couple of clicks sometimes, big deal.

Badly installed snakes can be a nightmare - lots of slop and lost movement. But correctly installed and supported I think they are a neat, sufficiently precise and reliable solution.

But,...I would also agree that push rods are even better! What I wouldn't in anyway agree with though is that a "fatter harder piece of balsa" is stiffer than a carbon fibre tube - never! Well, not "never" perhaps - but all I can say is that the "fatter" balsa rod must be very very VERY much fatter!

BEB

so after the postponement of Dave Tappins Dawn Patrol article in the december edition, i waited until today to rush off and collect my new copy, drove home in exited anticipation, made a brew, sat down and looked at the index......WHAT!! WHERE!! HOO!!! HOW!! again disappointment again its not there, no explanation, there wern,t one last time either, so i had to console myself with ians interview, which is ace.

so has dave upset someone, have you lost it, will it be published ever, !!!!!

chris

I'm a little confused by the Deluxe Materials feature in which John Bristow apparently says he is waiting on a suitable technology for stripping paint from plastic without damaging it. I thought this had been around for years, as I've often used Wickes Non-Methylene Chloride Paint and Varnish Stripper for removing paint layers from plastic models, with outstanding, if messy, results. Am I missing something?

• 1 month later...