Heeeeelp!! Teenage daughter stuck!

Fran Medlie

I'm a teenage daughter with a dad that has an absolute love for model aircraft flying, he's featured in RCME a few times, at the minute I think he's currently building a Rothmans? Although I'm not sure....

I basically just really need help on a Christmas present for him? Annnyyy ideas at all would be appreciated, socks and chocolate have been presents for years running now and would like to get something more important to him!

This is my final idea on finding out what he'd like as he's the type of person that says he doesn't want anything ever, but always try's so hard with our presents and don't want to leave him with opening nothing on Christmas day!

Thank you!

Advert

Good thinking Fran and great idea to post a question on here.

I've only been involved for a short while so can't really speak as though I were in position. For what it's worth though:

1) How about a subscription to a modelling magazine. I'm assuming that he gets PCM&E so won't need that. If he doesn't have a subscription then you're sorted straight away. smiley Do you know whether he subscribes to any others? Even if he doesn't, another magazine arriving regularly would almost certainly go down well. Others might give informed suggestions but a visit to a decent local newsagent (or a BIG WH Smiths or similar) should provide you with ideas. Alternatively, a Go0gle search for model flying magazines uk should bring some up that you could subscribe to on-line.

2) Can you get to his local model shop? They'll have some ideas and may even know a bit about what he's got and what he's had his eye on.

3) If he's a builder then balsa packs will always come in handy. You can get those at your local shop (best) or online.

I'm sure that others will step in and provide better advice than this. You've definitely come to the right place!

Hmm.....tricky one Fran (welcome by the way). The Rothmans sounds like a big biplane, possibly a Precedent Stampe. Sounds like your dad is quite experienced then but does he also fly smaller models, perhaps indoors? Either way, a simple battery checker suits a lot of model flying applications, perhaps......

Link

or this.... Link

There are always tools and consumables that model flyers use but does he have a decent flask for when he goes flying, perhaps hand warmers?

Link

I'm sure others will have some suggestions too.

Hi Fran, Now this is a very tricky question! To buy anything model related you would really need assistance from someone he flys with.

If he flys all year round then warm practical outdoor clothing may be useful or how about some new sunglasses for the flying field ? these are great www.modelglasses.com.

Check to see he doesn't have some already tho!

​Hope this helps a bit ?J..

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 14/12/2013 14:02:19:

I hope your name is a pseudonym, Fran - I just hope he doesn't recognise you which will let the secret out!....wink 2

... but if it isn't maybe he'll chip in with something that he would really like !!! teeth 2

Fran, if he hasn't already got one get him one of these - loads of fun to fly in the house or in the garden even in a bit of a breeze - you could maybe throw in an extra battery - you never know you might even try it yourself - they're easy peasy.

ps. don't think about any other flying toys - most of them are a bit naff.

Not knowing who the gentleman is or his modelling preferences makes it tricky. And yes, your budget for the gift might help too.

Something unusual and 'relatively' economical to buy might be a pack of foam sheets for easy scratch building of small planes. Depron foam LINK in white is available in a mixed size pack of 5 x 3mm thick and 5 x 6mm thick 1000mm x 700mm sheets for £32.04 including UK postage. You can also buy an 8 pack of 6mm Kilma foam LINK, (pale green) in a similar sheet size, for £27.49 from a local Screwfix shop counter if you order it the day before collection. Adhesive for either is hot glue, UHU POR or foam safe cyanoacrylate. Paint must be acrylic or water based.

Can you fly RC planes? If not, you could tell him you bought the foam so he could build you a trainer plane!! laugh

Hope this helps.

Hi Fran,

Brilliant idea to try asking on here,

I can recommend the hubsan quadcopter suggested by wingman,I have one and its great fun ,theres even one with a video camera on it, it's about £39 but its also much better built ,it'seasy to find on web, just Google it - Hubsan X4 H107C (sorry I cant do the clever "link" thing )

I also think Chuck Plains idea of some foam and a request that he build you a trainer would be fantastic

Only really works if you genuinely would like to learn to fly models and spend time with your dad at the field

But I know if my daughter suggested this, and I could spend time with her, teaching her to fly and had her company sometimes on my visits to the field ,that would be the BEST PRESENT EVER

He's a luck man to have such a thoughtful daughter

good luck with the search

Noel

Hi Fran - here's a suggestion that's a bit different from the others!

The "Rothmans" you refer to was a brand of cigarettes popular in the 1960's and 70's. They had a very distinctive blue and white colour scheme and sponsored a lot of sporting events. One of the things they sponsored was an aerobatic display team who flew an aircraft called the Stampe - as David says above a big biplane. Its almost certainly one of these display planes your Dad is modelling.

Now the Rothmans team were quite simply one of the best display teams in the world at the time. And while all the pilots in the team were brilliant there was one in particular who was a absolute hero and very famous - Neil Williams. Williams was not only a famous display pilot, he was a champion aerobatics pilot and well known stunt pilot for the film industry. Tragically he was killed flying a He111 I think (a very old German WWII aircraft).

So, whats the point of me telling you all this? Simple - get your Dad a copy of Neil Williams book "Aerobatics" - he'll love it, believe me. Not only is it really interesting as in insight into the flying of one of the greatest pilots of all time who flew the Rothmans Stampe at shows, but its also an excellent practical gulde on how to fly lots of aerobatic moves - which will help your Dad fly them just like "the master" - well maybe not quite that good wink 2, but it will improve his flying no matter how experienced he is!

Just type "Neil Williams" into Amazon and you will find it there.

BEB

I know how much (little) cash I had available for prezzies when I was teenager. (Did someone mention farthings?) Anyway, if your Dad does subscribe to RCM&E, then in the current issue is a piece by Alex Whittaker, detailing several "vital" tools. Have a look. See if your Dad lacks any of them.

Plummet

Forget modelling stuff, he sounds like he will have everything. My son bought me a neoprene balaclava, absolute magic and he also threw in a set of neoprene gloves which I never thought I'd use but have worn them every day since the cold set in.

Think outside the box, he probably pampers himself with modelling stuff so find some ancillaries.

BTW a subscription is a great idea but he may not like rcme so that's why I made my suggestions above. Another, less dramatic gift, is one of the permagrit range of tools. I never thought of buying one but a 300 mm sanding bar arrived on the day I retired 11 years ago and it still gets used daily.

It may not sound much but every time he uses it he'll think of you, I know I recall my secretary of the time who went out and bought it (in a nice way mind).

Edited By Braddock, VC on 15/12/2013 19:45:38

How about buying him a tent.....

Just an idea but then maybe you could put it up in the garden and move all of your things into it. Thus you would still have a bedroom and Dad would have a new aeromodelling room.

Just joshing Fran. I wish you all the best in your search for a suitable prezzy.

Gazza

Hi fran,If you want to get him something special get him a HAYES MANUAL now before everybody starts laughing ,They do them on LANCASTER BOMBERS,SPITFIRES. MUSTANG.my son gave me the Lancaster one and if hewinks into planes models or full size he will love one , you can get them at any big stationers I'm not allowed to name names so lets just say big high st shop selling books ,mags news papers. The contents of the books are so good in my book they show everything down to the last nut and bolt ..and it wont cost an arm and leg to buy.good luck Bernie.