Model Restraints

cymaz

Whilst down the club a day or two ago a fellow modeler (we will call him X)was restraining his glow powered plane by putting only one wing behind his field box ( the box is quite small).

Another modeler was there practicing for his A test (pilot Y). His electric plane was being held by the pilot with one hand at full throttle whilst he moved the sticks,checking them with the other.

I commented to pilot X that pilot Y should have a model restraint. Pilot X told me that it was unnecessary as he put a wing behind his box and he had never used one so saw no need for it. I said this was unsafe and leftembarrassed.

Now this got me thinking about field safety. I looked up the 2012 bmfa handbook. I quote...

(k) When starting an engine make sure that the
model is restrained and cannot move forward.
Although this may not always be practical, restraint
is best done by either a helper or by some
mechanical means.

(c) When plugging in the flight battery, positive
restraint, either by a helper holding the model or
by some other method, and staying completely
clear of the propeller must always be part of
your regular routine.

So there is a field box pushed onto one wing a suitable mechanical means of restraint?? I don't think so. Restraints are not expensive and the good Lord only supplies one pair of hands in the box of parts.

It would be nice and helpful to have a little more clarity from the bmfa on this.

Is there anyone from the bmfa that reads this web site that might pick this up?

P.S. My restraint method ( I also loop a bungee over the tail as well)

dscn0181.jpg

Edited By cymaz on 30/12/2013 17:41:55

Advert

In my opinion a field box pushed up against one wing is not enough - I bet it would not hold the model if the engine went full throttle by accident. I would also hope that Pilot Y doing his A test would be instructed not to do what he was doing... but perhaps not.

Does the club have a safety officer / committee member to have a quiet word with?

I'm a committee member,safety officer already talked to. I pointed out the fact to the son of pilot Y that a restraint should be used. Son is going to buy a restraint for dadyes.

The wording is a bit ambiguous from the bmfa about restraints,pity that. 4 pages in the handbook on frequency control and peg boards ( I know that's very important and essential to get right). But really 2 lines on how to stop yourself chopping your hands off !

Edited By cymaz on 30/12/2013 18:06:14

I think placing a box in position to hold one wing simply is not safe at all as once the model leaves the box the thing could be pointed anywhere. Holding with one hand is OK though, bearing in mind the alternative with the box.

Before my 15 year sabbatical from model aircraft we used to simply stand with feet either side of the tail or use a Y bend created from copper pipes shoved into the ground. I made quite a few of them for the club I was in as I liked to tinker in the club house when I didn't want to go home after a day flying.

Aaahh those where the days, piles of old rags under tables with tins and pots of dope lying everywhere with layers of blue roll to absorb the spillages. Good old days. Thankfully the Station Fire Officer didn't do any inspections unannounced so we had time to tidy up a bit!

In the distant past I used my (large) field box in front of one wing and a long screwdriver in front of the opposite wheel. Now I use a steel Y restraint going at least 6-8" into the ground, but my models have grown for the most part.

My question is - should the BMFA specify anything more than it already does? They are recommending the use of a restraint where possible, what else is to be said without listing 'approved' devices, then they would be leaving themselves open to the legal sharks as soon as someone has an accident using the 'official' device.

Isn't this where the club safety officer needs to bare his teeth a bit, maybe more than a quiet word for miscreants, say institute some assessments for those in question? Of course if it's the club chairman at fault it could get awkward...

I use a ready made ' U ' shaped tail restraint that i bought at one of the shows. ( I think it was under £10 ). It's the first thing i get out when flying.I've also thought about purchasing an airopult if i get larger models,to save stretching over a large prop. It restrains front and back movement.

A pit box wouldn't stop it spining out at full throttle if by accident, and a tail restraint would show you are thinking about safety when you connect up your flight battery. You can't restrain and connect up a battery at the same time. (unless you had a helper).

I don't have club rules to adhere to but surely its the clubs responsibility to write and apply its own rules.

"We have a lot of members that now use tables. Did not see the need of one until I had my own - wouldn't be without it.

My table that is pictured is secured into the ground by long pegs"

I like the table idea, but its just more kit to carry !!!

Rich

ps I use a couple of copper pipes....

Rich 2, my table is on a couple of fold up legs..4 seconds and the legs are down and secure. Sure its another thing to take but it has just become part of the pack up routine and it gets used in the garage as well.

I use the table to put together a couple of large models I have as its so much easier to get under them to fix struts on etc. Once there complete I have a pair of steel bars in the ground covered in foam pipe lagging to hold them.

I have never liked restraints that act upon the rear fuselage and tail group. This area of the model has never seemed suitable, too many linkages and lightly built parts susceptible to damage.

My personal preference is to use the leading edge of the wing either by using the flightbox on one wing and an alloy rod on the opposite wing or two rods each of which has a bit of pipe insulation taped to it. After use the rods drop into the flightbox taking up very little space or weight.

I would not want to be starting any model which is not restrained.

stu k

I made a "U" shaped restraint, but never use it these days. I pretest the electric motor combination on the bench before it ever goes in the model. I always use a safety plug system on the field so the motor is not live until I arm it actually on the flying field.

I use two lengths of broom handle, each sharpened at the bottom end and covered with foam pipe insulation. Hammered into the ground the wing of the model goes behind them. I don't like the H or Y metal types for three reasons -

1. They hold the tail, which on most models is the weakest part.

2. Sooner or later someone will trip and be impaled. Then the BMFA will ban them.

3. No good for my 363 delta.

Graeme

Posted by Glenn Philbrick on 31/12/2013 14:46:04:

**LINK**

fb005_jpg.jpg

We use a modified type of bench similar to this. We have about six around the pits and anybody can use them. Some are made from old pallets so do not cost anything to build and are fixed to the ground with stakes. The other advantage is that you do not have to grovel about the floor to start your model.

We use a similar design to these as well but our club is small so ever member has there own bench. There a god send and save all the bending over any new members usually build one very quickly after the join and try one out.

I use two lengths of broom handle, each sharpened at the bottom end and covered with foam pipe insulation. Hammered into the ground the wing of the model goes behind them. I don't like the H or Y metal types for three reasons -

1. They hold the tail, which on most models is the weakest part.

2. Sooner or later someone will trip and be impaled. Then the BMFA will ban them.

3. No good for my 363 delta.

Also handy to combat Vampires!

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 30/12/2013 20:56:23:

My question is - should the BMFA specify anything more than it already does? They are recommending the use of a restraint where possible, what else is to be said without listing 'approved' devices, then they would be leaving themselves open to the legal sharks as soon as someone has an accident using the 'official' device.

I see where you're coming from Bob but they could advise some restraint methods and then put a legal proviso in e.g. "this is not an exhaustive list and the pilot should always use ...blah...blah. Some legal whiz would not take long to get the legal loop holes written.