RCM&E February 2014 Issue.

Kevin Fairgrieve

Superb cover photo.. and great content

One observation though. I have noticed that there is 'language' appearing in the pages which would not be allowed on the forum. I am not suggesting double standards, but I am puzzled why this isn't being edited/cleaned. I am no prude by the way, I don't find it in anyway offensive... just puzzled.

Martyn

Advert

Talking of Simon Cocker's 'Short Finals', Chuck Yeager was one of the first Allied pilots to shoot down an Me262, not the first. That distinction goes to Maj Myers and Lt Croy of the 78th Fighter Group, flying P-47 Thunderbolts. The real scourge of the 262s was the Hawker Tempest, according to the German pilot Hubert Lange.   

Edited By Prop Nut on 13/01/2014 14:27:44

Posted by IanN on 12/01/2014 11:29:43:

Good issue, been looking forwards to those mini fighters plans, might well have a go at one of those. One minor point not shown on the plan - presumably the ribs should be rebated at the underside rear end to allow the lower surface of the TE to sit flush with the rib bottom?

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your interest in the MicroWarbirds and yes its as you mention above, the ribs and trailing edge should go flush on the underside of both parts.

Hold the end of the ribs on the board with also the trailing edge and fix them with a drop of CA.

I even used some tape sticked to the underside of both parts to hold them together for gluing, its like having an extra pair of hands.

Check this link for the buildblog of the MicroWarbird and please do post your build pics if you like.

MicroWarbird

Cheers

Ton

Edited By Ton van Munsteren on 15/01/2014 20:58:44

After reading Short finals it occurred to me that most of the people featured are well known modelers.

What about a similar page aimed at Joe blogs , the Modeler/flyer who enjoys the hobby maybe on a tight budget who is not seen or heard ,maybe not even a member of a club ?

If you have seen the folks at spocktra50 on Youtube you may see what I mean.

**LINK**

Mine arrived here in NZ on 13/1/14,and like others who have posted I was somewhat bemused by the usually excellent AW column,however it all adds to lifes rich tapestry I suppose.

The editorial also had me scratching my head...just what did occur in July1914;for us here the nightmare that was WW1 commenced in August 1914,but with historical revisionism rampant,who would know?

Regardless NZ'ers will never again leap to the aid of the 'mother country',as 'Great 'Britain was once known as here.

Still the best magazine around,keep up the great work .

Sorry to see your very emphatic comment Tiger Tim. NZ was the first to offer us help in the Falklands, sending two frigates to the Indian Ocean to free-up RN ships to go South. There is still a fund of goodwill towards NZ here in the UK for that, and for your country's contribution in the two world wars. We, the people, are not the same as the politicians who took us into the European Union to our detriment, as well as yours. Many of us would like to see a re-establishment of our former relationship with the old commonwealth.

Posted by Prop Nut on 16/01/2014 08:53:13:

Sorry to see your very emphatic comment Tiger Tim. NZ was the first to offer us help in the Falklands, sending two frigates to the Indian Ocean to free-up RN ships to go South. There is still a fund of goodwill towards NZ here in the UK for that, and for your country's contribution in the two world wars. We, the people, are not the same as the politicians who took us into the European Union to our detriment, as well as yours. Many of us would like to see a re-establishment of our former relationship with the old commonwealth.

Hello Prop Nut,thank you for the kind comments-we have a large community of British migrants here in Christchurch ,despite our earthquakes ,and all are very welcome.

Our various leaders have found it necessary to jump into other peoples wars without any thought of the repercussions at all.There are large numbers of Kiwi men and women buried all over continental Europe and GB ,but it would seem that memories of Commonwealth contributions are very short, -especially in France, -who's Government saw fit to blow up a ship in Auckland Harbour in the 1980's! (their so-called secret agents were rapidly caught and sentenced,but our fatuous PM,David Lange,let them go)

There's Gallic gratitude for you.

Anyway ,our geographical position means that we are out of sight,out of mind....and you are all most welcome to come and vist,or bring your skills and come and live here.We had 32 degrees yesterday,and as I write this the sun has come up over the Pacific,the air is clean and fresh,and a new day beckons...

Off to the beach for a swim,and when I get home from work,more work on the JU88 I am building

Not a great issue - I buy The Aeroplane or Flypast for full size articles and I'm just not into helis nor WW1 biplanes so did not read any of that stuff. I usually really like AW's columns but this months made me think he's running out of ideas?

Still RCME is ahead of the competition on both sides of the Atlantic in my opinion and one poor issue will not change that!

Posted by Tiger Tim on 16/01/2014 03:24:29:

The editorial also had me scratching my head...just what did occur in July1914;for us here the nightmare that was WW1 commenced in August 1914,but with historical revisionism rampant,who would know?

July 28th. Austria declared war on Serbia. Thereby starting the global conflict.

Posted by ken anderson. on 12/01/2014 09:49:03:

m

PS -forgot to mention 3 cheers for the D/Patrol lads........I was standing next to Ian redshaw at G/Acre's and didn't even know it...........

Edited By ken anderson. on 12/01/2014 09:56:09

Lucky you! I have to put up with standing by him regularly and knowing it! He's a member of my club and even on the committee! Actually, he's a great bloke who builds and flies better than I will ever hope to do. His latest project is a half-scale Flying Flea. For some very strange reason he's obsessed with the ugly and idiosyncratic things

Geoff

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 17/01/2014 22:16:04:

I've deleted a number of posts where the thread drifted into politics. Please try and keep broadly on-topic folks, it's this month's mag we're discussing.....

I thank you.....smile

Pete

No problem Pete - but the magazine started it!

well finaly got a copy at the weekend, and on the whole so far only read the opening editorial, well thanks Graham, its good to know the idea we had in 2008 is finaly comming together at just the right time, we have worked hard to get it right, then i read the DP article and again thanks, but .......its only a little but!! i dont understand the errors that creep in on a personel level whilst i dont mind it not being me holding my DH2, (phil is far slimmer and negates the use if a wide angle lens!!) but the info underneath re building of said machine is completely wrong, and as we supplied the info for the pics hard to understand, but the piece is great and i feel quite proud to be associated with such a great bunch of moddelers, if ever you want to get the real flavour of the DP come and see us after an event at our camp,

cheers al at RCME and thanks!!

chris

• 2 weeks later...

Most of us don't just buy the magazine for the "cheap plans". If that is your only reason, then why not wait until the plan and build article appear on e-bay at the end of the month ?

a) It would be cheaper for you and

b) You wouldn't even have to get your backside off the chair and walk (or drive) to the newsagents.

kevin b Happy to assist

cheeky

P.S.    You missed a good issue this month.

Edited By kevin b on 29/01/2014 19:36:35

• 1 month later...