The Price of Obsolescence.

I was brought up in the 1950s. We were never poor. My father had a steady job in what was then the GPO telephones and with promotion we eventually became quite well off. However, I was always brought up never to throw anything away unless it was thoroughly worn out, so the following situation goes a bit against the grain.

My first radio was a Sanwa Conquest which I bought brand new and unused in 1988 from a young carpenter who was setting up "on his own" and needed all the money he could get. Over the years I acquired three transmitters, three receivers and lots of SM631 and SRM 102 Sanwa servos. I used this equipment for several years before buying a Futaba FM radio so that I could teach beginners on a buddy box and then a few years ago I bought a Spektrum DX6i. As a result I haven't used the Sanwa set for some time but it's still serviceable.

I am in the process of retiring to France where 35 MHz is illegal so I need to get rid of all of my FM equipment. I could put the lot on eBay but what I'd get for it would probably not pay for the insertion fee. When you bear in mind that you can buy a 2.4GHz ten-model memory transmitter for £60 these days, I suppose I'll have to take it to the recycling centre and throw it away amongst all of the old computers and hi-fi sets.

Unless you lads can come up with any batter ideas.

Advert

Posted by David Davis on 05/03/2014 23:09:28:

I am in the process of retiring to France where 35 MHz is illegal

Not so.

They were a bit slow in adopting the "European standard" RC band of 35MHZ, but around 2008 or 2009 the first two 35MHz frequencies were legalised (channels 60&61) and since then 4 more have become available. You can now use 34.995-35.055 MHz in France - ie. channels 60-65.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 06/03/2014 00:02:45:

They have programns on the TV about nightmare hoarders. LOL

Show me an aeromodeller who isn't a hoarder! smiley

Looks like I can't even give it away so it's going to have to go to the tip!

I saw a new Multiplex(?) 2.4 GHz transmitter in the model shop in Whitchurch a few weeks ago, £300, 20 model memory. Even an old hoarder like me has got to to have one as soon as I sell the car! That's going too; steering wheel's on the wrong side!

Convert it to 2.4 with a Frsky hack unit. I would

My first radio was a Sanwa Vangaurd. Then I had three RD6000 Super which was converted to 2.4 HERE

If memory serves me 2.4 in France emits at a lower power than the UK, so that may not be an option.

With the older black plug servos you can swap pins 2 and 3 around to make them into blue plug one`s

Kev

Edited By Kevin Fairgrieve on 06/03/2014 07:54:56

I believe that it's the other way round, French 2.4 transmitters emit slightly greater power. Be that as it may, you can adjust the Multiplex's output to suit the country you're flying in. If I were to take both the Spektrum and Multplex to France I'd have sufficient memory to be able to fly 30 models so would I need to take the Sanwa stuff too? However, with my flying skills, twenty of those models would be in need of repair! wink 2

Anyone who wants a one-owner Rover 75 Estate please pm me.

Output has always been the same in Europe, whether on the EU or FR setting - 100mW. The only difference was that the French were restricted to just part of the available frequency. That restriction went in July 2012 so output is the same for us all, as it has ever been.

It's the US which has the greater output - 200mW.

Pete

David,

I moved to France 10 years ago and fly 35 MHz.

It is authorised and the great thing is that no one else here uses the frequency band. There are limitations - only channels 60 to 65 are allowed and as I operate on channel 61 please do not use that channel if you live near St Brieuc in Brittany!

I have converted my two Multiplex Cockpit SX transmitters to 2,4 GHz (switchable) using the FrSky module and they work a treat but I have several big gliders etc. which can take a 35 MHz aerial so they still run on the old receivers on 35MHz.. Never a glitch.

Let me know where you are moving too - and when - we may become neighbours!

Peter

I converted two Sanwa 102 old style model servos to the normal positive center pin last week. Took the old Sanwa rx out, swopped the pos and neg leads round, replaced the switch and battery and popped a Hitec 2.4 rx in.

Of course the 35 meg stuff is practically worthless now, I sold two conquest transmitters recently for £1.04 on ebay, and was not really worth it. Took six Sanwa tx's to the tip last week, which were two conquests, an older metal case and three Vanguard tx's along with a ex £300 Sony VHS VCR, loads on VHS Tapes and audio cassettes.

Painful, yes, but all that was taking space and obsolete an worthless.

Got two more SanwaV anuard TX's to scrap, a few rx's and one Sanwa RD6000 tx.

Some other rx's are on ebay, now, but so far no bids on most which are starting at 99p. Will also go in the bin if not sold...

Posted by Grasshopper on 06/03/2014 20:02:40:

David,

I moved to France 10 years ago and fly 35 MHz.

Let me know where you are moving too - and when - we may become neighbours!

Peter

I plan to move to the area around Aigurande, on the border of La Creuse and the Indre. The lads at the local Berry Marche Flying Club are very friendly, the houses and wines are cheap and the climate is a bit better than that of Blighty. I'll go as soon as I've sold the house. I've almost finished doing it up and will put it on the market within the next fortnight.

Hello, although you probably won't get a lot for your transmitter, the RX and servoes will sell on ebay. (I know because I occasionally buy them!)

Alternatively you can of course re-wire the servos with new std plugs, but I;'m not sure if they'd be happy at 6v or not.

I always rated the 102 servos, they did seem to work quite well, in fact I'm still using mine regularly!

we were just talking the other day about the futaba challenger 6...if you had a one of them when they were the latest TX you were the bee's knee's....Enrico got a load from a members son-who had emigrated to the US ,,,, and he couldn't give them away at our club .....

ken Anderson ne..1 .........tx dept.

• 2 weeks later...

I have decided to take the stuff to the recycling centre and throw it away. I might keep the servos but I already have plenty of standard sized servos. It was reading a post about a fatal accident which did it for me. The equipment is over twenty-five years old and though it works I could never live with myself if this equipment was the cause of a serious accident. Modern 2.4 stuff is cheap enough even for the air cadets and much safer.

Edited By David Davis on 18/03/2014 15:47:25

Edited By David Davis on 18/03/2014 15:47:43

Edited By David Davis on 18/03/2014 15:51:31

I have got some old Sanwa radio but I limit it's use to slope soarers. I was able to buy some Sanwa electrical leads about a year or two ago from Avicraft to connect to new Ni-mH flight batteries. I still have some working 27 mhz Sanwa Mini-2 radio which is suitable for model boats plus some Futaba 27 mhz radio which is also installed in slope soarers. it would seem a shame to just throw the old radio equipment away.

MJE

I know what you mean Mike and it does go against the grain as I said in the OP. However, I am in the process of moving to France and I am getting rid of junk. I have promised myself a new Multiplex transmitter, funding it through eBay sales. The Multiplex has a 20 model memory. My Spektrum Dx6i has a ten model memory. That's thirty models, I doubt if I'd ever have that many and if I did, with my flying skills, twenty of them would require repair! Furthermore, I've got a Futaba Skysport 4 and umpteen Futaba receivers if I really want to take 35 MHz stuff to France so something's got to go.

My local recycling centre has a separate section for electrical goods. I believe these are all shipped off to the Third World where their components are re-used. I hope so.

The old Sanwa servos are quite good, or were. Also I converted a plane last weekend. It's and old Tucano, I got it from ebay a few years ago - from a farmer who found it in the attic. Got it for £25 with a FP40, servos and plane. Flies really well. The servos are ancient, but 100% ok. So I swopped the Pos and Neg round and plugged them into a new 2.4 rx. Just had to trim the leads to fit in the slot.

The old sanwa rx I sold just on ebay for 99p, at least it would get used again.

• 3 weeks later...

While tidying up one of the bedrooms I found a Sanwa transmitter crystal. I thought nothing of it but put it in an envelope and sent it off by second class post to the winner of the eBay auction.

I received a phone call from the gentleman as I was returning from the LMS. He thanked me for sending him the crystal FOC and said that he had had the equipment checked out by an electronics engineer, had replaced the black wire where necessary, had had it checked for range and stability and finding everything good had flown his Junior 60 yesterday afternoon until it was just a speck in the sky using my old equipment. He told me that he had eleven Sanwa transmitters including some 27meg stuff which he used for model boats.

In his words he was, "Over the moon" about his purchases.

I have made nearly £800 from selling surplus possessions and was returning from the model shop where I had just picked up my new Spektrum DX9. smiley