Bargain or not?

liam bennett

Advert

You may well get that sort of money for it but I've found that a low starting price encourages bidding better than putting a high starting bid on. You're better off with a reserve as it doesn't show until it's reached - the psychology is get them interested at getting a real bargain at first, maybe try a little higher, people are bidding so it must be worthwhile, just one more increase might do it...

Liam, I have used ebay quite a lot in the last few months, both selling and buying - and a very strange beast it is too! And so are the public! Your model looks like a bargain, but Martin is right, and I doubt if you will get any bids. We are in the age of 99p. I have sold things with a metal scrap value of £150 for £25 - with no bids at all when I tried a starting price of £75. Sometimes you just have to accept that ebay is a way of getting things you want to be rid of, to people who want them. But then sometimes you get a nice surprise! I hope you do.

I'd mostly agree with the above, though putting a reserve price can put some people off bidding as they know the lowest reserve is £50 and so they're wasting their time bidding at lower values.

One other 'issue' - the engine seems to be missing the prop driver. If you have it (and I assume you have!) then perhaps add a bit in the list to say so, otherwise it will put off some potential bidders.

Liam

I too watch Ebay/BMFA regularly and am always looking for a bargain.

Couple of points with your addd:

I would immediately dismiss it because build is suspect - doesn't sound like it's been done properly - Eg you would have been better to re-do the aileron hinge, it only takes seconds but now I wonder about other issues

The way you don't clarify that the engine and servos are new or 2nd hand (or genuine) leaves me in doubt

The model itself is very cheap at HK

So I've already decided not to bid - just letting you know my thought process

Edited By Masher on 12/03/2014 07:50:43

+1 for BMFA classified ads. I think that there is a bit of growing assumption that if you are a modeller selling a model.... Why would you sell it on eBay? It's an expensive way to dispose of unwanted items.

My prediction.... If you get a bid, you will get one bid at the last minute.

My other observation....for what it is worth... The sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

Real Futaba 3003's always sell on eBay or BMFA.... £15 for 3? If they are pristine.... Less if they are well used

The engine.... It's an older model but maybe £15 plus p&p on BMFA

The model.... Rehinge the aileron yourself and £45 collected. (There are no P&p charges from HK... ]

And remember BMFA = no fees

Edited By GrahamC on 12/03/2014 08:15:49

I do a lot on EBay and that includes watching things.

"Collection only" loses you most of the potential bidders straight away.

I know that packing a large model up is a pain and finding a courier at a reasonable price is not easy but these are factors to take into account.

The last model that I sold, got less than the value of gthe engine. The people who came to collect it stopped for a meal on the way, then got lost and turned up after 10 pm. Never again!

From HK the model is £30 brand new. That motor looks old, so will need a good strip down and who knows what might be found then. Start at 99p and I'd be surprised if it went for more than a tenner. But don't let me put you off, good luck

Posted by Masher on 12/03/2014 07:46:44:

Liam

I too watch Ebay/BMFA regularly and am always looking for a bargain.

Couple of points with your addd:

I would immediately dismiss it because build is suspect - doesn't sound like it's been done properly - Eg you would have been better to re-do the aileron hinge, it only takes seconds but now I wonder about other issues

The way you don't clarify that the engine and servos are new or 2nd hand (or genuine) leaves me in doubt

The model itself is very cheap at HK

So I've already decided not to bid - just letting you know my thought process

Edited By Masher on 12/03/2014 07:50:43

I`m sorry but i would not have priced the engine or servos at that price without knowing more, but a lot lower, and if i really wanted that plane i could buy it cheaper new and delivered direct to my door without worrying whats wrong with it......but ebay is a funny place and anything could happen.....good luck , but its not for me.....