Barkston Heath Cancels all Model flying

Advert

This is what BMFA are saying on the FB page

British Model Flying Association The flying training school will be operating more frequently at weekends, the RAF Cranwell gliding club has relocated there whilst their hangar is repaired and there are 'resource issues' effecting the security/access arrangements.

That is indeed a blow. I know it is a very slim chance, and that I'm clutching at straws, but it doesn't actually say that the Nationals will not continue to the held there beyond this year. But I agree that is the natural reading of it.

Well, we're going to need another venue. And somewhere big enough for at least 4 lots of R/C flying to take place simultaneously without crossing over. It needs to have grass and runway surfaces. And, on top of all that enough space for 30,000 people to camp. No field the BMFA could buy could house that.

BEB

the explanation from the bmfa, courtesy of dylan, probably explains it in brief, for now, but i am gutted for the club members to lose your site is bad, but at such short notice, fingers crossed that some acomodations may be forthcoming in the future once the gliding club move back home.

chris

The BMFA do say that it is down to security that must be maintained for the Flying Training School and the Gliding club.

The "resource issues" we have see all the time over the years to close satellite units that surround some military units at weekends and evenings, this is down to available staffing.

Seeing as military assets are now being located to BH on a more regular basis they need to secure it properly but can't provide enough Guard staff to enable it to be open during the times that BH is not being used for Cranwells' purposes.

It is a bit rubbish but there are plenty of unused airfields out there. The issue is the owners granting permissions.

Risking upsetting the BMFA diehards, may I suggest that this is an ideal opportunity to split the R/C and C/L disciplines into more manageable separate Nats groups since these have never really gone together anyway, have they?

Further, whilst I flew a little C/L when I was young so am not anti, I find it unacceptable that they can be flown unsilenced at the same venue as R/C models which have to conform to a strict noise code.

Martin Mc.

I must say that for me is very distressing. Not necessarily the instance that is the subject of this thread. More the BMFA and to a lesser extent we modellers.

With respect to the BMFA, it has a laser like focus on safety, in a way that is disproportionate. Yes it is important, what does not get at least at attention at least at ordinary membership level is maintaining and expanding flying sites.

As a modeller i am totally appalled at our often negative views of aero modellers, who have slightly different interests. An example is slope soarers, who only want slope soarer types without a propeller, to the extent that propellers should be removed in their view for motor assisted gliders. Then there is antipathy of some IC modellers to electric modellers and visa versa.

What I would like to see, or be made aware of is the BMFA looking to gain greater access to NT sites of all types, from slopes to parklands. The NT are one of the largest land owners in the UK, and many of us BMFA members are also NT members. We represent a potential pressure group. Yet I am aware of only a few sites where we are allowed to fly models. A few slopes, one park for IC, and other types, and one club on NT farmland. The positive experiences of us modellers being good citizens and guardians of the country side, could be highlighted by the BMFA. What would not be helpful us preferring to exclude others modellers who could operate to advantage in unison.

I do agree though that the loss of any flying venue is a blow, and of course Barkston Heath is particularly disappointing.

Edited By Erfolg on 13/04/2014 16:20:20

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 13/04/2014 20:12:25:

Elvington gets my vote, the long, long, runway, and the museum will be a bonus. But it does rain a bit there.

...............................................................................................................

and don't forget the wonderful watering hole......2nd to none-I've had many a good night in there-and then rolled/fell in to my tent......

ken Anderson ne...1 ........ tent dept.

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 13/04/2014 20:12:25:

Elvington gets my vote, the long, long, runway, and the museum will be a bonus. But it does rain a bit there.

It has been known to rain at Barkston. Moreover I remember helping to hold down a food stall because of the wind - it was well beyond the call of duty as it was pig roast stall and I'm a vegetarian

I know the runway at Elvington is very long but is there enough space for all the Nats activities? I've been but only to the museum when they had the Christmas shows there.

Geoff