Limbo dancer

I've got the chance of one of these for £50 all in, but i have a couple of questions.

Does anyone have any experience of these good or bad , and if i get it i'm wanting to prop hang with it. I'm going to take out the engine that is in it and put this TT - GP. 42 in.

What prop could i use to keep the speed down, but allow me to accomplish slow manoeuvres

hello john-I had two of these and the last one had an OS 40/2st in it------it was a load of fun and would do anything you wanted and would prop hang all day....I didn't change the props as such -but have a go with a large dia-fine pitch----and see if it suits you.......it will fly as slow as you want with the throttle reduced and trimmed correctly...

ken Anderson....ne....1 ........ limbo dept.

You've all seen my Limbo Dancer - it's that speck of red at the top left of my avatar pic!

I flew mine for years with an Irvine 36 and an APC 11x4 prop. It will prop-hang on that no problem, though despite its size the rudder never had much authority - at least on mine.

One of the guys at our club has one, not going to name drop, he's been published in the mags on occasion. It seem to be his "go to" plane despite being quite "tired" I think he uses a Thunder Tiger GP 42 and he does some crazy stuff with it.

I use an APC 12.25 X 3.75 prop on a Thunder Tiger 46 Pro, gives 11600 rpm on 10% from memory, so it may be a bit much for the GP42 unless your site is really noise sensitive! 11 X 4 may suit that engine better. The keep it light mantra is good, my funflier is a bit tubby at almost 4 1/2 pounds so I need a hot 46 wink.

Shaunie.

I built mine with an Irvine 46, it now has an MDS 40 with a 9X6 prop. It flies all day. The Irvine 46 was too much power I only used 1/2 throttle. The much decried MDS I acquired in a swap. It revs, is quiet, and is perfect for the Limbo.

The photo was taken before I changed the engine. Flying it is great landing is so soft any wind it will come down like a Harrier.

New Limbo

Edited By Glyn R on 09/05/2014 23:25:41

Posted by Glyn R on 09/05/2014 23:21:44:

I built mine with an Irvine 46, it now has an MDS 40 with a 9X6 prop. It flies all day. The Irvine 46 was too much power I only used 1/2 throttle. The much decried MDS I acquired in a swap. It revs, is quiet, and is perfect for the Limbo.

The photo was taken before I changed the engine. Flying it is great landing is so soft any wind it will come down like a Harrier.

Bought mine second hand fitted with a Super Tigre 45. Got tired of its temperamental behaviour and fitted the ultra reliable MDS 38 that had powered my previous (Bearcat) funfly - and found there was nothing lost in the performance - even though probably over-propped with a 12.25 x 3.75 for the sake of the noise test.

I tend to drag it out when the snow arrives, fitted with skis or latterly floats or for the odd club limbo comp.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally bought the limbo dancer... After buying a steerman bipe in the meantime surpriseas stated previously it has an older version mds 46 in it, could i take this out and put one of my asp 52's in it? Physically its the same size and weight just more power disgust. Also what is the recommended cg

john-the 52 will be spot on-don't do any full throttle dives or else it will flutter itself to death....I cant remember the C/G position...but around about 1/3 of the wing chord from the LE will be a start...limbo type models are pretty tolerant of the correct C/G.......have fun

ken Anderson ne..1 ....... linbo dept.

wonder who got the green and white one then?

I've got a Scallywag, same sort of deal as the LD but mine only has an Evo 37 in it. After flying a Cougar with a 46 at the RC Hotel I'm thinking the Scally needs more oomph. It balanced at about 30% chord but is relatively tame.

Cant remeber the green one, but the one i got came with loads of extra stuff including a big bundle of stock balsa, flightbox with all accessories including a starter, a tx flight case, and loads of hinges horns ect. I won the bid at £155 but when i got there i actually got the whole lot for £110, i'm well pleased i can tell ya yes

The recommended throws for the Limbo Dancer, as stated in the instructions, were 25mm each way for ailerons, elevator and rudder for the first flights, and "for competition" 50mm each way for ailerons and elevator and "maximum obtainable" for the rudder.

I don't know what I used to fly mine on, but I'm sure it was a lot closer to 50mm than 25mm!

Been flying the limbo dancer all weekend, just couldnt put it down, what a lot of fun this little model is, one question though, has anyone knife edged it successfully, it just seems to want to dive for the ground when i try it, i have loads of rudder, in fact i cant get anymore movement on the rudder.