Portable power source

Masher

Looking forward to my first Greenacres experience but currently have no "in-field" charging facility so was wandering what people use to keep them going for a couple of days.

For me it is mainly IC (eneloops/Nicad) and Tx (Lipo) plus a bit of Lipo for the electric's.

I think for the IC it will just be rx batteries as flight box + glowsticks/manual fuel pump should last a while.

As I am starting form nothing, it looks like three options: Petrol generator, Jump starter or Leisure battery (or similar)

At the moment, the separate leisure battery looks favourite

Thanks for any advice

I use an old car battery which so far has given no problems in two years of flying. I only charge smallish batteries up to 2200 3 cell, all lipo.

I know some people say car batteries do not last due to constant charging/ discharging but I have not found a problem.

A leisure battery would probabally last longer if you are buying from new as they are made to be charged/discharged often

Hope this helps

Edited By Cliff Bastow on 09/05/2014 17:17:34

I use a 120mah Leisure battery - the low discharge type. I take a generator, anyway, with the caravan and charge that when at night, topping the caravan battery up, as well as the laptop battery. Mine is an old Honda 650 Generac, and 2 litres of fuel lasts 4 hours, depending on load.

There is always the street light behind the woods. ummm.secret

Yep - use the car! Didn't see any point in a separate battery, I have a bad back anyway so carting round a lorry battery is out of the question.

Most of not all chargers cut off the supply from the car battery if it gets on the low side, so you will always get home. Of course, if the car battery is flat, you could use the charger connected to the car battery to charge it.

Oozlum bird comes to mind. kiss

Bought a leisure battery this morning from Halfords. This will "live" in my van so doesn't need carrying about.

Talking of lifting and bad backs, great bit of wisdom at Halfords! They have now put all car parts upstairs - that's 3 flight of stairs, no lift. Big batteries are quite heavy. When I got to the pay desk back downstairs I made the obligatory comment along the lines of "stroke of genius putting heavy stuff upstairs......... the manager who came up with that idea needs a prize....." all in a light hearted way of course. The very helpful young lady at the till said words to the effect of "Oh please don't, everyone says the same........... was designed by a man!". We had a laugh and when I asked her to put it in the car for me she admitted that she probably wouldn't be able to lift it. All good fun.

But of course this brings out the grumpy old git in me ........... you can just imagine this 14 year old suited and booted trainee manager sat there for days dreaming up this plan............ no wonder we're going to the dogs!

I sometimes use my flight box starter battery (gel cell) to recharge 2200 3S Lipos at the flightline - gives a couple of recharges. Should be enough for a Rx nicad instead I suppose. Anyway it keeps the gel cell in use to avoid deterioration when not in use for the starter motor.

I have often considered using the nicad packs used for my cordless drill and hedgetrimmer to power the Lipo charger at the field. I took the precaution of ensuring both the drill and hedgetrimmer used the same nicads so I have 4 packs the same Again it would keep them in continual use rather than being unused. It would need devising a connector to the unique fitting so ihave not tried it yet but it seems a useful portable power source.

Using a petrol generator to recharge electric flight packs at the club field is horrible!

Posted by Masher on 10/05/2014 15:15:32:

Bought a leisure battery this morning from Halfords.

Probably cost you nearly twice as much going to Halfords than an independent battery seller or even caravan store etc, I picked up a 110Ah leisure battery for less than the price of Halfords 70 Ah last year

Masher. You are right- it's these youngsters with no experience of life that are wrecking our country in every field. And it is they who cause the lack of employment prospects for the over 50's - they daren't employ anyone who knows anything in case it shows them up. Of course they will realise this themselves when their turn comes !

There is one advantage to being and looking old - you can respectably ask the staff to load it into your car!

Actually that's not true (Codename John). I checked a number of local battery suppliers and Halfords came out best. Only way to get cheaper was online but then I would have to wait in for courier. Sometimes Halfords are Ok - just need to check.

Edited By Masher on 10/05/2014 15:54:40

They may be better nowadays, mine is fitted with a 12v 17ah battery, would it last a weekend, in my opinion no ( at least mine would not )

used it to start glow engines , now i use lipo, lot light last longer....smiley

Ah that explains it! The ones I am referring to are typically 75 or 110A/Hr and suitable for starting or low drain such as caravan lights etc.

I went for 75A/Hr in the end since whilst bigger is better, I wanted to be realistic on size/weight and cost

Due to being lazy I now charge from the car, but in the past used a leisure battery.

Juat a word of warning ,make sure the battery is held securely in the car, in the event of an accident or even very hard braking a loose battery rolling around and spilling acid could do a lot of damage.