Cambrian Spitfire Mk IX Build Log

Bit more progress:

Fin flashes - I brushed these to compare against a spray finish. They are not too bad but, again, need a bit of touching up.

img_2904.jpg

img_2907.jpg

img_2908.jpg

Next, a bit of cockpit detail. I printed off an instrument panel and stuck it to some thin balsa before gluing in place.

img_2909.jpg

img_2910.jpg

Pilot glued and screwed.

img_2913.jpg

img_2917.jpg

Lastly, fitted the canopy using canopy glue. Not confident about how well this is going to turn out - we shall see!

img_2918.jpg

More later...

Advert

Posted by Geoff Gardiner on 05/12/2015 20:28:28:

I have a couple of nasty paint runs which can be seen in the last photo. I am debating whether or not to try and do something to remedy them, or just live with them.

or battle damage covered up by a hasty repair back at base

Thanks for your comments gents.

I had a bit of a battle with the canopy. After the initial glue and tape, I had a couple of areas that hadn't stuck down. These had to have glue applied using a cocktail stick and weighted down. The canopy glue does take a long time to go off.

img_2924.jpg

I now have to paint the edges and the canopy frame.

Is there any prep required (apart from masking) or do you just paint enamel straight onto the plastic?

More later...

i have just read through this thread and im very impressed. i have one of these spits on its way to me, and im planning on building it as a scale hack. having seen this thread i think it will be able to be more detailed than i first thought. im still not sure wether to go leccy or glow. are you planning on doing any weathering or dirty washing?? if so what methods are you going to use??

Hi Nick, welcome aboard.

I'd vote for electric but I am biased as I only fly electric. On the plus side, you don't have to spoil the lines by having lumps of metal hanging out the cowl!

I am debating about adding some weathering or going for the factory fresh look. On balance I think I will dirty it up a bit. I've not done this before so some web based research will be required.

I think you will enjoy the build and I have found it a bit of fun adding extra detail. Will you be doing a build blog once you get going?

Geoff...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've not updated things for a while but I'm pleased to say it's pretty much done smiley (I did say I was a slow builder).

There are a few bits of paintwork that need touching up, which I did not spot until I looked at the photos.

Also the spinner and prop need tinkering with.

Here are the pics:

img_2950.jpg

img_2967.jpg

img_2972.jpg

img_2973.jpg

img_2988.jpg

I still need to check the C of G but I am hoping that it is achievable by moving the battery - it doesn't feel too far out.

The bad news is, like me, I think it has turned out morbidly obese surprise weighing in at (with battery) a portly

3096g or 6lb 13oz.

If anyone else has built one of these, I would be interested to know the all up weight and how it flew.

Geoff...

looks ace, and 7lbs is ok but is on the cusp of being a fatso. keep her quick to begin with and see how you get on. try a few stalls up high to get feel for where the limit is and go from there. make sure you don't have massive elevator rates either as warbirds are normally pitch sensitive and only a small amount of elevator is needed to get the desired result.

Thanks for your comments gents.

Good to know that the weight isn't a 'deal breaker' so to speak.

I have tested the C of G at 90mm from the leading edge at it is a bit tail heavy. I have the potential to move the motor forward a bit, which means I can also move the battery forward. I will try this tomorrow and see what difference it makes. Hopefully I can get away without having to add any more weight.

CS, where did you set your C of G?

Geoff...

• 2 weeks later...

Next I have been setting up the power train.

The batteries that I was going to use were Zippy 40c 5s 4000mah - I have 3 (one is newer than the other 2 although all have only been used about 3 times each).

I have realised that the 2 older ones are naffed.

with an 11x7 prop, I got the following readings:

1 - 44A, 835W

2 - 24A, 318W

3 - 32A, 510W

Whilst battery 1 gives me the require Watts, the other two are not - decision time!

I decided to increase the prop to an 12x8 and invested in to new ones of these:

img_2849.jpg

They are 40c 4s 6400mah Zippy Compacts and look like this in situ:

img_2852.jpg

These give me 850watts of power at 56amps.

A quick shot of inside the fuselage for anyone interested (The ESC and Bec are right up front in the bottom of the nose).

img_2859.jpg