scratches

Difficult one. It depends on how soft the plastic is. You need a very fine abrasive. The problem is that if the plastic is soft, you might just send the screen "milky". I have cleaned up the odd mobile phone screen with some of the superfine polishes we use in the workshop. So if you have a friendly vehicle bodyshop nearby see if you can scrounge a teaspoon full, but talk to the paint sprayer first. On some of the old plastics we used to use Brasso, but these days that might be too coarse and just make it worse.

kevinb.

Edited By kevin b on 03/06/2014 15:20:15

A bit late now but those plastic stick on screen protectors work very well.

I am not sure you can do anything with the scratches you already have. I ended up replacing the screen on my transmitter. It was a fiddly job but worth it in the end

On watches I have used Duraglit and a lot of elbow grease!

As a previous post has mentioned, some (soft?) plastics may just go 'milky' with this treatment so care is needed.

Also, I've used various 'rubbing compounds' to polish 'buckle scratches' out of the highly polished finish on a Fender guitar. These were sold as guitar polish compounds but I sense they are rebadged commercial product available under other guises. Again a bit like very fine toothpaste, needed a lot of elbow grease but worked a treat.

Whatever polishing compound you use (I have had success with both T-cut and Brasso) the method is important. If you keep adding compound you will keep grinding the plastic away and leave swirl marks. The trick is when the scratches are removed and you wish to finish polish the surface, do not add any more compound or change the cloth, keep rubbing with the same piece of cloth until it starts to "creak". At this point the compound is buried in the cloth and you are polishing the plastic screen with the plastic already embedded in the polishing cloth. Polishing like with like brings up a high shine. Give it a try.

Shaunie.

A word of warning here, many products have an anti scratch coating which will be removed if anything abrasive is used on it.

My Brother-in-law had a Laguna where the coating had gone yellow on the headlamps to the point it was failed on the MOT because of it, new lights would have written it off, half an hour with some T-cut and they looked fine. So he'll have to re-polish them maybe once year, big deal.

Shaunie.

I had some quite bad scratches on the screen of a Tx I bought second hand but used Micro-Mesh abrasive cloth to get it back to new condition. You have to work through the different grades (available down to 12000 grade!) but with patience a perfect finish is possible. I believe it is/was used on full size canopies to take out blemishes.

Last year I did something really stupid. I splashed some cellulose solvent on the plastic face on the pressure gauge on my compressor whilst I was refilling the spray gun and to make matters worse, I then tried to wipe it off. You can imagine the mess that made.

I managed to polish it up surprisingly well with Solvol Autosol