Marking our 30,000th site member

The site quietly slipped past the 30,000 member mark over the weekend when 'Martin and Sue' (they must've decided to combine a user name).

We're into our 8th year now, going strong and firmly established.

More than anything I take huge satisfaction from the fact that MF.co.uk remains one of the friendliest, most comfortable places to share and seek advice and for that huge thanks go to everyone but especially moderators Dave, Chris, Steve and Pete (not forgetting Tim in the early days) who spend so much time and effort keeping things on the straight and narrow.

MF.co.uk has opened my eyes to some incredibly clever, creative and knowledgable folks and I've gained some lifelong friends too (whether they like it or not wink 2).

Thanks everyone.

David

Ps. a celebratory token is on the way to Martin and Sue.

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 09/06/2014 09:00:12

Many congrats to RCM&E/Modelflying for reaching this milestone.

Congratulations too, to Martin and Sue. thumbs up

It is very nice, in this day and age, to have a place where we can chat about the things that we, as prize anoraks, have an interest in. Nice, in that we feel safe here.
Personally I'm very pleased indeed that I can contribute as a tiny cog in this large wheel.

What an amazing resource, thanks to all the members who tirelessly answer questions ranging from the very simple, to the remarkably complicated, and for the superb information that's so often volunteered without asking.

Glad just to be here, and have made so many friends. party

well put JC/CJ.....of course as well as the forum-----the must do is to go to greenacre's and meet face to face with other forumite's.......fair enough some look as though they have escaped from the hammer house of horror's but...its still worth it..... teeth 2 ......

ken Anderson ne..1 ..... forum/mag dept.

Well done to everyone on here.

I think this forum is unique, friendly and safe but at the same time a fantastic resource for the hobby. I'd particularly like to thank the many members who not only go to so much trouble to share what they do and the marvellous skills they have through build blogs and other avenues, but perhaps even more remarkably take so much trouble to answer questions dealing with everything from the most basic beginners enquiry right through to the absolute leading edge of our hobby. It doesn't matter where a question comes from, to the person just starting out their problem is just as baffling and important to them as the challenges faced by the constructor of the most complex scale model or high performance aerobat; and this forum reacts just the same to both, with patience and helpful sound advice - something I think is really impressive. Something you don't see on many other forums.

It's a privilege to be part of such a splendid community and I certainly second what Ken has said - if you do get yourself along to Greenacres (and I hope you will) and you see a scruffy-looking individual with long hair and beard - that'll be me! So, don't be shy, please do say "hello",

BEB

As one of the many returnees here, I arrived in 2008, just a bit bewildered by the changes and advances that had been made in the previous 25 years or so...smile o

The welcome, patience and friendliness of the members was very encouraging when one had so many questions to ask - and nothing has changed - as so many recent arrivals experience for themselves.

I've learnt an enormous amount from the good folk here and I'm still learning every day - and, most importantly, it's a nice place to do the learningsmile

The respect and courtesy shown by one member to another, unlike in many other places, makes moderation a pleasure rather than a chore, too. When we do have to intervene and do a bit of steering, perhaps dropping the errant poster a word of advice by PM, it's normally met without argument and even the odd thank you! That's always appreciated as it confirms that, on behalf of the majority, we seem to be getting it about right..... so a big Thank You from me to everyonethumbs up

Looking forward to flying in to the Fly-In, meeting some of you in person and renewing a few acquaintances - though it's a pity I'll be flying in to Stansted, rather than Greenacres.... teeth 2

Pete

He could probably just about get it in at Greenacres with full reverse thrust, but very much doubt it would be getting out again...... could be fun to watch though. If he puts a wheel rut on the strip though, Reg will not be amused

I echo everybody's sentiments, I enjoy hanging out on here, and if I possibly help to encourage anybody to add the odd rivet or landing light then that's great too Long may it continue smile p

Cheers

Danny

Good stuff - and I for one am pleased that the forum has remained - steadfastly ( and in the early days - against some opposition I can tell ya! ) calm, well behaved and easy going. Current mods and admin do a good job retaining the tone that David set right from the off, so congrats to all the team, as well as of course, both the long standing regular members, and our latest victims...err sorry...members angel

I think the forum probably has only 29,999 members! I had to get a new forum identity when I changed ISP so losing my e-mail address and having to register with the forum all over again with a new ID.when something went wrong. I expect others have done the same too.

But surely there is nothing like 30,000 people posting stuff at the moment? Lots of the once familiar names seem never to post anything now. There used to be some names who would post something, either humorous or helpful on every single subject. But no longer. Activity and interest seems much lower this year than several years ago. Or is that just my imagination? The quality remains high but the quantity seems lower.

We're at 30,005 now kc so you can sleep easy.

You'll recall that it's a subject we've covered before and, needless to say, 30,000 members doesn't mean that all of 'em post on the forum here. There are plenty of lurkers as thread viewing figures show, plenty of folks in my club often talk about what they've read here but few, if any, ever post.

People do come and go though but I've found that as folks drift away so they're replaced. Forum activity is pretty robust and has increased over the years. As for this year's activity, it's your imagination wink 2

Thanks to all who make this possible. The opportunity to share with so many like-minded on-line friends and to learn from those who know so much more than me gives me great pleasure. It also motivates me to have a go at things I probably wouldn't have got around to otherwise, like I'm trying to do now! It's a great example of the way to do things.

(I'm very worried about rivets though).