another shed story

Vecchio Austriaco

Davwik

I have been fighting a similar battle for some 5 years now.

Both girls move out have their own places, room spare. I managed to get one of the bedrooms whilst we had a new much larger kitchen built, which entailed removing the garage roof of to make an integrated roof line. It was here where I built my models, always battling with temporary furnishing storage, which never went.

Now that daughter No1 has three children, my room is wanted for their stop overs. I keep resisting.

Now Gerhard, how about an artists impression. I bet it is a Austrian style Baurenhaus, complete with mural painting on the walls and Geranium window boxes.

Advert

Posted by Davwik on 14/07/2014 18:14:52:

I`m evicted to the garage and she has nicked my room for sewing machines, tapestry stands and a hole load of other "crafting" paraphernalia!!!! be warned!!

Made an error of putting a small desk in the garage for the current Mrs Area51 to do some card marking & crafty stuff.... Bless ~ then my glues were spotted, along with the swann mortons & pins, steel rulers.... oh how handy all your modelling gear is!

DRAT.. I have dont it now & no going back...

Edited By Area 51 on 14/07/2014 19:24:36

seem's like reading a few of the posts on this thread -that a lot of lads have lost there authority etc......worst thing you can do is let them (the other half's) come out of the scullery..for once you do and they realise that the grass is greener etc-you are done for as demonstrated by the post's ...... I better go now in case she catches me on here..... teeth 2 ...

ken Anderson....ne....1...... man cave dept.

In my yoof I was given some advice by a wise old Yorkshire sage.

He said remember lad, marriage is not a word. It's a sentence.

He also said to take careful note of the marriage service. You walk down the aisle, kneel at the alter and then sing a hymn. Remember the order. Aisle, alter, hymn.

There were one or two others, but Iwant to stay on the forum !!!

smiley

By the way VA. I've had a good look at the conservatory and it looks like it could be great for drying large wings in.

• 3 weeks later...

Of course the shed was not delivered on time but with 11 days of delay. but - it came today. And early I was positively surprised.

here it comes1.jpg

the next 1,5 hours where covered by carrying the material to the "building site"

here it comes2.jpg

And on we go. the floor was a bit annoying - as per instruction every board is fixed with 2 nails per bearer - gives 1248 nails. But the rest went up very quick.

building 1.jpg

this was approximately at 5

building 2.jpg

and this is the situation at 8.To be continued.

VA, slightly sun burnt

Edited By Vecchio Austriaco on 07/08/2014 22:11:00

short status: the weather gods where very nice to me, we had just a short shower at lunchtime, so I could finish the roof - well there is some trimming of the edges necessary - but the thing is waterproof now. Picture showing the shed at 8:15, now it is poring down with rain.

building3.jpg

windows and doors are planned for tomorrow afternoon.

VA

Posted by Davwik on 14/07/2014 18:14:52:

women can knit and chat its in their DNA, men can`t multi-task, I had the same when I claimed a bedroom when my youngest finally moved out, " can I have a chair in there so I can come in and chat" says she , 6 months later I`m evicted to the garage and she has nicked my room for sewing machines, tapestry stands and a hole load of other "crafting" paraphernalia!!!! be warned!!

Don't forget fellers that women are able to muti- task because they can't prioritise!

Just as well SWIMBO doesn't read this.

Edited By Colin Ashman on 09/08/2014 13:09:05

The shed looks really goon. Now comes the fun bit which is the fit-out! smiley

When I got my shed I had a security kit supplied with it which included tamperproof bolts on the hinges, a locking bolt and stainless bars on the windows.

I see that there are other places on the web to buy such bolts including **LINK** Might be worth the investment. But are your glass doors and windows glass or plastic and are they double glazed or security glass - otherwise they are probably as vulnerable as anything?

Hope it helps

Peter

The other way would be to replace with round head coach bolts throught the frame - I have these on the lock on my shed (hinges are internal to frame) so the outer face has a round head, with a square bit inside the hinge, the nut is then tightened on from inside the shed. It is actually a KASP high security van lock, but perfect for this application.

the other way to do it is to simply 'round off' the screws, but then you won't be able to remove the doors either!

Olly

Hi Chris - I'm on mains, but while getting the shed built I was on battery power. I used normal toraches and head torches for the most part, along with natural light. You could use lipo to provide the power, but I woul make sure you had the appropriate LVC system so they don't discharge too much....

Olly

Chris,

I will be on mains as well - cable is already laid, needs to be connected which will not be too soon as I have some family priorities first count-down is on 10 days....

Be careful to have some proper overcurrent protection, as the inner resistance of lipos but also NiCd etc. is very low. The current you will draw in case of a short circuit will be only limited by the resistance of the cable.... this can end in a nice firework.

VA

Posted by chris Bond on 11/08/2014 13:23:56:

Hope I am not hi jacking this thread but has anyone put non mains lighting in their shed Not task lighting but just something to see by in the winter

I wondered whether lipo power would be an option.

12V Leisure battery would be better than lipo, you can get some little fluorescent strip lights from a Caravan or similar to hang up and it would last a lot longer too