Does your club allow members to fly by themselves?

Discussion at our club set me thinking about lone flyers and whether it's common that clubs are happy for members to fly by themselves. I'm talking about situations where flyers are at the patch by themselves of course and not just the only model in the air.

Granted, I know there are a lot of exceptions to this - some clubs have local conditions that dictate two flyers must be present, there are plenty of non-club park flyers, lone slope soarers flying from non-club public land etc. but, just thinking about your club, does it allow single flyers?

The voting categories were a bit tricky - I could only think of 'yes' or 'no' so apologies if I've missed something obvioussmiley

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 16/07/2014 06:41:03

Fortunately, Yes. My free time does not coincide with normal working hours, so I am often solo at the flying patch. After all, I am allowed to ride my motorbike all by myself. Also I can go cross-country by mountain bike or running and meet barely a single soul all the way. There is risk in many things we do. In my view, it is up to the individual to be responsible.

Yes and No! If a club said no then people will go down to the park and fly, in my opinion if you have a A certificate then there should be no problem my club suggest some one to be there for safety reason but how many time I've gone there and there is no one there it dose not mean I can fly and go home after all we are paying for it to be members,

Yes and if they did not I would find another club. I live some way from the field and fly during the week and the chances of finding someone to go with especially at short notice, on say a Tuesday morning are slim. So that would mean no flying. It's my risk after all and I am careful. I know accidents happen but I ride a motorbike and they happen to them also.

This subject has been done to death several times. Should people be allowed to drive alone on quiet roads? be home alone? cut the grass, use power tools - the list is endless. The world inhabited by lawyers is not the real world.

Honestly - get a life, - and I mean that in its most literal interpretation, get out there and climb a mountain or something. All this needs to be confronted at every opportunity. Nothing personal here but I do detest this sort of thinking which is curbing the lives of everyone.

**edited for language**

stu k

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 16/07/2014 09:27:56

In all 3 clubs I was (or still be) member you were allowed to fly alone. In all 3 clubs I had the situation that sometimes nobody was at the field. So if I am not allowed to fly alone - what to do? go home again?

Of course you need to be careful and know what you do - but this is valid even more if there are others - especially as I remember "close shave" situations in all 3 clubs.

VA

Well I live 2 miles from my club and sometime I go and cut the grass on my Own and test the runaway after( that's my excuse anyway) if they said no to flying on you own then it surely the rules apply for cutting grass on a mower on you own

My boy fell off the bike the other day and bruised is knee it doesn't mean he cant go on his bike on is own!

Accident do happen there not predicted

Well said Stu and Vecchio