my best friend

john melia 1

I have three jack russels , one in particular called banjo is always super glued to me 24/7 , he really is my best mate , follows me everywhere .

Well on tuesday morning I got up to find he had been sick in the kitchen , so I cleaned it up and thought no more of it as its not as if it was the first time .

Later on in the day he began to drink huge amounts of water , then go in the garden and vomit it all back up , come back in drink loads of water wnd do the same again .

I phoned the vets and they said to take the water off him and only give him small sips every hour , which I did , he was still sick but only now and again , inthe meantime he was getting more and more lethargic , just sleeping all the time .

I stayed up with him tuesday night , and by wednesday morning I was really getting worried for him ,

So phoned the vets again , and got an app' for 11:30 the same day . They took a sample of his urine , and he had lots of protein in it , the vet told me its not looking too good , and they wanted to keep him in as he was dehydrated , and they also required blood tests .

So all day I paced the floor , and phoned up at 5 last night to see how he was doing , a nurse informed me that they had found via the bloodtests that he had abnormaly high enzyme levels in his kidneys , as if he had been poisoned , i assured her that he had not , and then asked what else could cause the high enzymes

She said it can happen in older dogs (he's 9) for no apparent reason , but she said at least cancer , tumours , ect , have been ruled out , so they kept him in last night to try and flush his kidneys out , and if the enzymes levels have dropped they will let him home .

I'm no wimp guys by any stretch of the imagination , but I can honestly say I cried my eyes out yesterday , I'm so attached to that little dog .

Advert

John, I'm with you over this. Lost my first dog, lab collie cross, @17:30 23 November 1992 with kidney failure. Lost several since and can tell you when each died. Miss and think of them all every day. Its not a sign of weakness to show your affection for another living creature.

Bye the bye, I've had lots of trouble typing this as two of my Yorkies want to give me a hand paw. Hope things work out OK.

It's the downside of having pets, unfortunately. We had a kitten when our youngest child was just two, and the kids grew up with her. When she died at 19 years old, it was like losing a family member. It took a year and a half for us to consider having another and we took on a four year-old male rescue but, when he died at 17, we couldn't face losing another much-loved pet, so never replaced him. It all goes to show we're human. Fingers crossed for your little chap.

Another update ..........

Banjo took another turn for the worse today, the vet rang , and said he had just vomited green gunge , she asked again if he had ate something he shouldnt , and I said no he's not that sort of dog , anyway they rushed him to xray and rang back again saying they didnt find anything for definate .

She then said we are going to have to operate , because she still wasnt certain that there was nothing inside him that shouldnt be there ,

Two long hours later , she rang back and said they had found a peach stone lodged in his intestines , and that with it being rough and having sharp edges it had damaged the inside wall of his intestines , but that they were now hopeful he would recover .

So it wasnt his kidneys like they first thought , and the high enzyme levels were down to his system slowly poisoning itself because it couldnt get rid of the waste products .

I'm so glad they found out what was wrong with him , but I am also wallowing in self guilt , because it was me who threw the peach stones in the garden instead of putting them in the bin . So as long as the damage to the intestine wall heals up , he's should make a full recovery.

Just goes to show , banjo will only eat his dogfood , he wont eat treats of any sort , yet he still managed to swallow a peach stone .

Edited By john melia 1 on 14/08/2014 17:59:26

So glad to hear that the vet has found the source of the problem. I'm surprised that the stone failed to show on the x-ray, bit worrying that! I'm sure Banjo will not hold it against you, but it is a good reminder for all animal owners not to discard such things. I hope that you are also feeling better now you know what caused it and can rest at ease a little.

Wishing Banjo a speedy recovery thumbs up

Hi John. As an owner or four Cavaliers over the years I can sympathise with you. Monty (no 2) managed to swallow a magnum lolly stick, unchewed . from my GRP basket and had similar symptoms to Banjo, but we were lucky and our vet managed to spot it on X ray. £400 quid later and a couple of weeks and he was fine. Needless to say, he didn't get near that basket in the shed again.

Speedy recovery to Banjo.

Colin

Edited By Colin Carpenter on 14/08/2014 19:17:19

While we are swapping stories how about this. Last year my working Springer bitch jumped out of the back of the estate as she had done a thousand times before. Only this time she landed a bit off centre and crushed a disk in her neck. She wound up in a heap only able to move her eyes and nothing else. To cut a long story short. £5K for the operation to clean out her spinal column plus £2K in physio. Now she is back to her old self but gets lifted out of the car. Then when she had been signed off. My male working springer tore a muscle in this shoulder, not designed for 180 degree turns. So another £1500 later and he is back to normal. As you can't insure working dogs the new car will have to wait another year.