Greenacres 2015 Mass launch Radjet

Advert

Posted by Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/09/2014 22:19:55:

I'm not going to order just yet, as I just have too much going on. But it won't be long, does anyone else in the club want one when I do?

Well I suppose I could be tempted Chris, does it have any rivets?

Not really in favour of combat, Morgan but there must be other activities we can come up with? a pylon race might be fun or a timed climb and glide, spot landing?

Cheers

Danny

Parcel Force just delivered my RadJet. Excellent service from HK (OK it was the UK warehouse with stock...)

Surprised at the molding quality - its exceptional. Shall have it assembled this evening and try it tomorrow. Just the right size to fit in the boot.

Will definitely look at others from HK. Anyone recommend a nice precision aerobatic model?

Andy

My son and I have had Radjets for a couple of years - great fun for the money. Soon after getting them, I tried to find out if they did the curious tumble my Funjet used to do if you pointed it vertical and cut the power. Well, whereas the Funjet would perform a couple of tumbles then recover nose-down, the Radjet went end-over-end all the way to the deck! My lad then tried with his, but from a greater height, with the same result. He had time to try various control and throttle combinations to no avail. Neither suffered more than mild bending of the foam, which we eased out by hand. Both models seem a bit nose heavy, so this was unexpected.

We avoid that part of the flight envelope now, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's feeling brave!

Posted by Trevor Crook on 19/09/2014 13:14:32:

My son and I have had Radjets for a couple of years - great fun for the money. Soon after getting them, I tried to find out if they did the curious tumble my Funjet used to do if you pointed it vertical and cut the power. Well, whereas the Funjet would perform a couple of tumbles then recover nose-down, the Radjet went end-over-end all the way to the deck! My lad then tried with his, but from a greater height, with the same result. He had time to try various control and throttle combinations to no avail. Neither suffered more than mild bending of the foam, which we eased out by hand. Both models seem a bit nose heavy, so this was unexpected.

We avoid that part of the flight envelope now, but I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's feeling brave!

Ohhh - that's very interesting! It sounds like what is known as a lateral spin. The wings would be stalled and the stable axis of autorotation is the span axes rather than the longitudinal axis as per usual. its very rare, although I believe that one or two full size aircraft have exhibited it. No one has every offered a really good explanation as far as I am aware - but its thought that aircraft with rear placed wings are more prone to it - which would make sense for the RadJet I suppose. One theory is the unusual distribution of the mass they have fore and aft - leading to an unbalanced moment of inertia about their CoG. Fascinating.

BEB

Just looking at the ramp, with it only being plastic trunking and being mostly free in the air wont it distort with the weight as it moves up, Trunking isn't very firm at the best of times, it bends and wobbles about easily, possibly resulting in a disasterous launch if one of the servo covers hangs up if it twists, might some sort of bracing at the top to keep each side parallel and some stiffening lengthwise be a better design ?