What did you learn with?

Andrew Cade

Old Cosmo King 60" trainer from my brother's loft - with a "Friday" SC 46 2 stroke which kept cutting out! Passed A test on this, but had a few electrics to fly at the same time.

My 10 year old son is learning on a Black Horse Liberty EP, which is excellent - very gentle stall. He'll be doing the A test soon I hope. This really is a good electric trainer, if you want to avoid smokies.

Edited By GrahamWh on 21/09/2014 20:21:28

Edited By GrahamWh on 21/09/2014 20:21:46

Advert

I have noticed that beginners with IC planes seem to spend a lot of time trying to get their engines to run right. They also have to deal with dead sticks (engine cutting out). With electric power the motor is ready to go imeadiately your instructor is ready to take you. Electric has its disadvantages but for small to medium size models it seems to me that it has significant advantages. It may cost more. I very quickly spent about £1,000 on the model, equipment, 4 lipos, a good charger, sim and 2nd tx, spares and tools, club membership, RCM&E subscription. I was taken aback as I thought £500 would do for the first year!

I learnt on a Seagull E-Pioneer with is similar to the Rising Star that Ken recommends. Very forgiving, easy to see with 60" span and good in the wind. Tricycle undercarriage is good for learning.

Posted by John C on 21/09/2014 21:11:01:

I have noticed that beginners with IC planes seem to spend a lot of time trying to get their engines to run right. They also have to deal with dead sticks (engine cutting out).

That's because no-one teaches them how to tune their engines correctly, either that or they are obsessive needle twiddlers who will not leave an engine alone when it is going right!

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 21/09/2014 19:49:24:

Waterhouse and Ely Superfly - but I wouldn't recommend one now.....teeth 2

W & E SuperflyLearnt on a rudder elevator super fly in 1976, really helped when I gave it an aileron wing. Still got one in the attic. Might drag it out one day for a laugh. os 35 powered. It was one of the early ARTF's fibreglass fuz, foam wings. I liked it. Flew it for 12 months then progressed to low winger. Yaay

Posted by David Davis on 21/09/2014 21:54:02:
Posted by John C on 21/09/2014 21:11:01:

I have noticed that beginners with IC planes seem to spend a lot of time trying to get their engines to run right. They also have to deal with dead sticks (engine cutting out).

That's because no-one teaches them how to tune their engines correctly, either that or they are obsessive needle twiddlers who will not leave an engine alone when it is going right!

It doesn't help when designers of some trainers arrange the upright engine mount to put the carb way above the top of the fuel tank. Just as easy to have a sidewinder mount that puts the spraybar nearer to the fuel tank's centre and as a bonus, all the exhaust goo goes under the fuz.

Some engines seem to cope, particularly smallish fourstrokes that have a lot of 'suck'. However, I've seen a few two stroke motors that were sold in a trainer package be very fussy over mixture setting (being mounted so high above the tank) that it's not surprising a beginner would have trouble.

A Mercury Matador......it was "strengthened for radio" with a fully sheeted fuselage & fitted with a mighty DC Sabre 1.5cc diesel (later upgraded to a 2.5cc PAW) & Fleet 3 channel radio......

Maidened it on Christmas day 1978 I think it was, on Deane School playing fields in Bolton (imagine flying an RC model from school playing field these days!!!)......I'm on the left by the way.......my instructor was a chap called Ron Walling....a great guy who spent so much time with me & taught me so much.....

PS Flares were obligatory in 1978......teeth 2

Wow some of those old trainer names brought back some memories. But trainers? They were all pigs to fly and probably far too heavy My first trainer was a Trueline Executive built from the plan with a pair of second hand wings powered by an Enya 40 and guided by Micron PL7D AM. It was 3 function and in reflection probably the hardest thing I have ever had to fly it survived many a bottle of epoxy and was superceded by a Custom Executive which with ailerons was a dream to fly. Low wing models were considered only for seriously experienced flyers. When I built my first low winger t,a Fun Tiger what from an old Radio Moddler plan I found it even easier to fly. So I can only concludes that the established

route of training in the good old days was start with the most difficult model and "progress" to the easier ones. my next model was a Gangster 63 so we'll behaved and easy to fly. Some of the modern light and relatively cheap foam models really seem to be the answer though As for the previously mentioned attractions of glow models. Oily ,smelly ,cut fingers,dead stick landings, kneeling on wet grass etcfor hours I loved it for about 35 years, Now am flying electric and cannot bring myself to go back to it,it worries me what is wrong with me? And another thing what ever happened to all those lovely Trueline designs Corsair tiger etc etc with the retro thing it would be good to see them again ,

Edited By gangster on 22/09/2014 10:27:23

Edited By gangster on 22/09/2014 10:28:17

All this nostalgia brings back memories. Be careful how you define things I recall with amusement how a self proclaimed "expert" was pontificating to a poor unfortunate newbie who had built an excellent and entirely suitable trainer. I listened with amusement while doing whatever needed doing to my model. The "experts" was telling him how unsuitable his model was and insisted that the ideal first model must be a three function high winger powered by a 20sized engine. At this point I interjected and said what like this? Pointing to my Boddo club 20 racer. Said club 20 perfectly matched his description but trainer it sure wasn't He shut up and walked off

I learned to fly in the mid to late 90's on the two models my dad had airworthy at the time. They were the well known Flair Pup and the complete a pac twin engine harrow bomber! I flew other models as well, but the pup was the real mainstay.

These days though there are many options, but I personally still think that a 4 channel 40 size IC trainer is the best option. The electric foamy stuff has taught some bad habits to the guys at my club who use them as they get used to landing at 2mph!

Bet you didn't expect this Andrew. We're off on a nostalgia trip!

Kamco Kadet, OS25 for me back in the mists of time. Actually a brilliant trainer. Didn't need gyros and clever electronics, it was naturally stable and self-righting. Would still be a great trainer now and would be a natural for electric power as it wasn't too big.

Advice, well, it depends on you and your circumstances really. If you are young, sharp, on-the-ball and getting help at a club, then practically any trainer out there will do fine. The best advice would be to ask your potential instructor. It's always best to pander to your instructor's personal bias if you want the best help. If you're not so young, like most of us, then try to get something a bit slower and 'floatier' than the the typical forty powered jobs, maybe a powered glider type of thing.

If you are, as seems to be getting more common these days, doing this on your own, then a smaller, lighter, foam, electric powered model would be best. The ones you mentioned earlier would be ok and there are a lot of similar models out there. These are safer to fly in non model specific places like parks and what have you, and won't disturb people with the noise. They also remove the complication of the engine. Worth remembering though that chucking a kilo or two of plastic with a big whirly blade on the front around the local park at speeds of thirty mph isn't entirely risk free, so get insured and if you can get along to a club with a proper flying site, then do it.

Whatever, enjoy it.

Posted by Vecchio Austriaco on 22/09/2014 11:48:44:

Learned with a Dandy, a glider from Graupner. It was a "Schnellbaukasten" (fast building kit) which means that the wooden parts were already precut out of the sheets, but the building was of course not fast. I was flying this model in 1977, with a 27MHz Simprop radio.

dandy 2.jpg

VA

Yep, had a Dandy at about the same time, but had the optional power pod and Cox engine. Radio was a Futaba 2 channel outfit that cost an arm and a leg IIRC.

A couple of clowns at the first club that I'd joined said that they'd 'help' me and proceeded to launch the model with the radio turned offcrying

Must have made a good job of building it because it flew OK and just circled close by and made it back down again when the motor stopped.

Posted by Cuban8 on 22/09/2014 12:01:03:

Yep, had a Dandy at about the same time, but had the optional power pod and Cox engine. Radio was a Futaba 2 channel outfit that cost an arm and a leg IIRC.

A couple of clowns at the first club that I'd joined said that they'd 'help' me and proceeded to launch the model with the radio turned offcrying

Must have made a good job of building it because it flew OK and just circled close by and made it back down again when the motor stopped.

I agree on the cost of the radio - when I purchased my own one - flew the Dandy with dads radio - in 1982 it was one monthly salary - gross of course crying 2 (Simprop SAM-FM module system, with some extra money you could have dual rate, exponential or even a mixer!)

VA

My building experience far out ways my flying experience.

in my teen years u built many and crashed en all! Longest plane I kept was a gentle lady glider and was only about 2 weeks lol.

in recent years I have been in and out of the hobby etc...

I decided a few months back to get the foam LET13 leccy glider from FMS, 4 channel.

id been using Phoenix in the run up to this and found the glider actually very easy to fly!

since then u have also bought the 3 channel Parkzone Radian 2 meter and I am in love with it.

2 weeks ago I bought the ultra micro spitfire and am flying it well also.

so my skills are coming along nicely I think.

just finishing the Deagostini Spitfire my wife bought me as a surprise! All the basic building was done and it came with all issues original engine servos etc and will be flying that shortly.

For me:

#1 Chris Foss middle phase off a bungee

#2 RCM&E "Coachman" from a free plan (1996) with a OS25LA engine. That was built in about 2001

Both are still servicable and the coachman is regularly flown as it's quite aerobatic, robust doesn't mind the wind too much. In fact it's now on it's second 25LA as the first wore out it's liner.

I'd happily recomend that model to anyone as it's so well behaved and cabable.

I'd also recomend the 25LA experience as it has been ultra reliable over the years (apart from when the first was wearing out). I fitted an 9 oz tank and it'll happily do 20 minutes of aeros or 40 minutes of pootling.

What an interesting thread! Precedent Hi-Boy as my introduction. Built like a brick outhouse! and HEAVY! But on the plus side hard-wearing (read "almost indestructible even in my clumsy beginner hands"!) Futaba 6 channel radio. It survived me and eventually I gave it away - as a going concern "just add Rx for an instant trainer"!

About what to buy now I have mixed views depending on your situation.

If you are going it alone - I'd suggest an Easystar or something similar. Easy to fly, very slow and stable, no undercarriage to break off and being made of foam pretty easy to repair. But, remember, when you have learnt to fly that you still have a way to go before you can really say "I can fly R/C aeroplanes". Its a good "learning alone" model precisely because its so forgiving - but don't think others are going be nearly so gentle!

If you are planning on joining a club - or can get good instruction from elsewhere - then I'd say buy a wooden 40 size traditional trainer like a Arising Star, a Boomerang a Pioneer etc. You really can't beat them. They are the traditional way in, and have been since Adam was a lad, because they work and do what it says on the tin!

If you learn on an ultra low wingloading foam "trainer" then:

a) You'll get quite a shock when you come to fly something more "mainstream" and you'll sudden encounter the full horror of the stall - just when you thought you could fly! Starting on a model with heavier loading gets you off on the right foot from the start.

b) We live in a country where the weather isn't always kind to us. The secret of learning to fly is lots of "stick time" - the more you fly the quicker you'll learn. But if you have a very light foam model then lots of times you might not be able to fly - because its too windy. But a heavier traditional trainer laughs at the wind! Well - not quite, but you know what I mean wink 2. Basically, you'll fly more with one of them - especially as we are going into the autumn and the winter.

Electric or IC? I really don't think it makes any difference - cost wise its about the same in the long run its just that with electric you are buying all your fuel "up front"! Personal preference I'd say.

BEB

Well I started with a single channel Junior 60 in 1962 which I am now re-covering for the third time. It's currently in my garage with an elevator added and the fin and tail plane covered with Oratex having stripped off the second lot of nylon covering that was put on in 1976. The fuselage is also stripped. I have managed to miss every opportunity to take my A-test this year say it could be argued that after fifty two years I still have not learnt to fly?

There are about thirty planes in my loft and I have flown most of them. Two have yet to fly but one a foamy Great Planes flex-flight YAK 54 that was tested earlier this year has warped badly. Some of the planes despite being in flying trim have not seen the light of day for a few years---will I ever learn?