What did you learn with?

Andrew Cade

Advert

hello Andrew-I learnt with a good old yamamoto made by MFA.......poor thing was reduced to a wreck on a regular basis ..... anyone wanting to start from square one-- now will be hard pushed to find a better model than a ' Rising Star' .....one of the better models for a complete beginner......forget about foam and electric......a high wing trainer complete with an IC motor is the way to go...to success

ken Anderson ne....1...... success dept.

Hi Andrew. I 'self taught' myself on an original Apprentice that had the dx5 with it, and cannot recommend it enough. The plane was great quality and easy to repair. The first time I flew I was so amazed that I forgot to twiddle those stick things! - Duh, and despite my flying site being a ploughed farmers field so I could only hand launch she still lives today. She is battered and battle scarred from glueing, with a fair amount of duct tape for luck, but is still great fun in high winds for chucking around at the club I now belong to. I would also recommend a Sim - I have Phoenix - to get the hang of orientation type stuff.

Good luck, Simon

My wife and myself started ages ago with Graupner's Dandy. A few years ago my wife's mother wanted to start too, and she did - using a quite battered Multiplex Easy Star. It took loads more beating, but it still flies of a sort. She's now progressed to the Easy Glider, Mini Mag and if she feels really well even the AcroMaster. If you want to do it all by yourself there's hardly a plane that flies as well and easily, takes more beating and needs no more than a few bottles of cyano to continue flying.

Lorenz

Pfffffffffffttttt Nowt wrong with electric unless you happen to like any of these: prop bite, car covered in oil, stinking fuel, being deafened, spending 20 mins kneeling on soggy ground cursing at a carb,

Dave Hopkin.... sarcasm dept

Seriously, the Apprentice is a decent plane, suffers in the wind due to its light weight my main moan is the length of time it takes to get replacements for the sacrificial engine mounts which I break with monotonous regularity!!!!

Probably pointless to what you're asking but I started on my own in the late 80's with a 2 channel glider on a running tow launch across a golf course! blush (engines & RC gear was expensive for a teenager with no paper round! )

Learnt a bit more with a 2 channel diesel powered Blackburn 1912 monoplane! Again on my own and it went down a few times too!

A few planes, gliders and many years later I started again with a Seagull Boomerang and a local club but I can't really say I learned to fly with it since I was already competent at RC flying but I did learn the "other" stuff you get from flying with people & with more safety involved!

When i came back in the nineties,i started with a Precedent Hi-Fly 2ch glider. Then moved on to a Thunder Tiger 2000 with an O.S 46LA. Took my A test,over a decade later with an Arising Rang (Boomerstar???...Take your pick). It was cobbled.....err.....i mean skillfully put together from a broken Boomerang wing and a copied Arising Star fuselage (We're not mean in Yorkshire......Just careful!) with a 4250/800,a 60amp esc and a 4s pack.As others have said, get a .40 size built up trainer. Choose your power source,either i.c. or electric, neither is better than the other except possibly for cleanliness.....Go Fly!!......and good luck.teeth 2

Andrew

Posted by Chris Barlow 1 on 21/09/2014 14:19:12:

Probably pointless to what you're asking but I started on my own in the late 80's with a 2 channel glider on a running tow launch across a golf course! blush

Me too!

Except it we used a bungee.

I started with a Veron Impala, my mate had a Super Impala.

We set up the bungee on a beach near Aberffraw (Angelsey).

Started with gentle straight ahead flights before graduating to pull enough height from the launch to complete a circuit ... once we mastered that we took to the slopes of the Conway Valley ... ah those were the days (1974)

I do remember there was a terrific sense of achievement about it all.

Posted by Andrew Cade on 21/09/2014 18:33:08:
Thanks guys, some great suggestions.

What would you advise now? Either Elec, nitro or petrol, 4ch prefered.

Irvine Tutor 40 MK2..... .46 i/c or electric as above. To fly all day with electric you'll need either a charger and 4 batteries or two chargers and three batteries. To be be honest, your initial outlay can be cheaper with i/c but in the long term??.

Andrew

P.S.....Don't skimp on the engine. Better to buy a reliable O.S than a cheapy SC etc..The difference ain't much anyway and reliability is key when you're learning.

Taught myself to fly a power model - a 'full house' President Hiboy from a kit back in 1986. I had previously been flying aerobatic slope soarers so the transition wasn't too bad.

The old Hiboy was very heavy for its size as it was mainly all plywood (except for the wings and tail) but had good flying qualities and wasn't pushed about much in windy weather. The motor was a tired old Merco 35 but it did the job.

I'd been flying gliders (without much success) since early teen years in the 70s, but my first model that did really fly properly was a Bowman's Simple Simon. To be honest this was actually due to having the model set up and test flown by someone who knew what they were doing (true today as it was then). Never looked back since, really.

Being a glutton for punishment, I started flying helicopters a few years back. Started with a little Eflite coaxial and worked up through single rotor fixed pitch, Twister CP, Mini Titan and now on to Trex 500.

Ours is an amazing hobby, there's always something to learn.